Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which way to go for a new shotgun?

dab

I've been shooting an 870 at local 3-gun matches and I am now starting to figure out what semi-auto I should get. I'd be looking for a limited shotgun and for now, I'm just planning on shooting local club matches. I figure I have 3 directions at different price points I could go in and I'm looking for some advice from those of you who have gone through this before. The 3 directions I'm looking at are:

1. Get an inexpensive shotgun, like a 930, and add the extended tube, FO sights, etc. (or maybe just get a 930 JM when they're available).

2. Get something like a Benelli M2/Versamax, add the essentials now, and improve it over time.

3. Go all out and get a full 3-gun ready shotgun from one of the reputable gunsmiths out there.

Any advice is appreciated. The option I decide to go with will help me figure out which guns to try out, and how much I need to budget for a bribe for the wife :)

Thank you!

I'm no shotgun expert, but I've got an FN SLP Mk1 that I've been totally happy with. It's got a few thousand rounds through it. Had a few failures to feed in the first 500 rounds than pretty much no issues. I've modified it some and have documented those changes here as well as on my blog.

I've also got a buddy that has a 930 JM that has been totally reliable, but he says that mine recoils "way" less. I have not shot them side by side to confirm this, but he wants to sell his 930 JM and get the FN to replace it. I can hook you up with him if you're interested in check on the chance of him selling it.

Here's the links to the shotgun mod write ups...

https://weaponkingpin.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/one-way-to-shorten-an-fnh-slp-mk1-stock/

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148752&hl=

Versamax all the way. Add a tube weld lifter and open loading port. All they need to be ready to go.

+1. The Versa Max Tactical is almost perfect right out of the box for under $1100. Just add the welded carrier and you are off to the races. If you can't resist the temptation to customize, add an extended mag tube cap for an extra 1 or 2 shell capacity boost. Frankly, there is very little a gunsmith can add to this gun that would really bring much additional value - unlike the Benelli, it does not benefit from a lightened bolt etc. If you find the front bead/mid bead arrangement on the standard gun is not adequate, you can upgrade to a front-rear arrangement down the road... for the moment, just drop in the welded carrier and run it. You will be impressed - with how good this gun is, it boggles my mind that anyone would spend the extra $$$ on a Benelli or a custom built gun.

1. Get an inexpensive shotgun, like a 930, and add the extended tube, FO sights, etc. (or maybe just get a 930 JM when they're available).

There is no "like", that is it. Had 3 JMPros in the class yesterday and they all ran great. Does kick a little more than the SLP. The JM930s are a good deal and you can find them if you look. I put my e-mail on a couple of "notify lists" from some on-line retailers when they first came out, and I could have bought 4 in the last 30 days.

2. Get something like a Benelli M2/Versamax, add the essentials now, and improve it over time.

Or an SLP.

The above four are really the choices and there are differences.

Ranked in terms of recoil, least to most, Versa-Max, SLP, JM930, M2.

Ranked in terms of being ready to go out of the box, Versa-Max Tactical, SLP, JM930, M2.

Ranked in temrs of weight and ergonmics, M2, Versa-Max, JM930, SLP

Ranked in terms of slug accuracy, SLP is first, the others have too many variables to rank, but all are acceptable.

Ranked in temrs of loading ease stock, Versa-Max, M2, JM930, SLP.

3. Go all out and get a full 3-gun ready shotgun from one of the reputable gunsmiths out there.

I would not go there until you have shot a few matches with your gun stock and figure out the loading and all the other laundry list of stuff associated with 3Gun shotgun. Then make a more informed decision based on what you see, learn. I hope this does not come as a shock to you, but you won't win your first few matches anyway, so treat them like a classroom instead of a match and you will leap-frog your contemporaries.

Try other people's guns as often as possible! When I dragged out my guns at class yesterday, I got a lot of wide eye'd stares and "Holy !@#%" One student refused to shoot my guns after seeing a few others try them because he "can't afford another and it will just make me pissed". We have WAY too many "fans" of this product or that product because that is what they bought based off what they read on the internet (where this is written too) instead of actual subjective and objective tests in their own hands. Do as much testing as possible on other people purchases. 3Gunners like to let others shoot their guns...weird group.

Listen to Wise Counsel! I am guilty of parroting what Patrick Kelley, or a Miller Brother, or Miculek has said about a product here and there, but that is because I have proven the validity of their thought processes and accept them as "wise counsel" in most areas. If they say product X is crap, I won't bother to try it. If they say "Mark, try this" next time I can, I do. I've disagreed with them on occasion, usually I have found that I should have listened, but I blame that on my engineering and stubborn personality type. Just exercise caution when choosing smiths. I know of several butchered guns, $2K+ guns on consignment for half their "list price" and even a few shooters who left the sport so upset over the bad advice and work product they got from what appeared to them as a reputable gunsmith.

I've been shooting an 870 at local 3-gun matches and I am now starting to figure out what semi-auto I should get. I'd be looking for a limited shotgun and for now, I'm just planning on shooting local club matches. I figure I have 3 directions at different price points I could go in and I'm looking for some advice from those of you who have gone through this before. The 3 directions I'm looking at are:

Any advice is appreciated. The option I decide to go with will help me figure out which guns to try out, and how much I need to budget for a bribe for the wife :)

Thank you!

How much can you afford. #3 is the best #2 is what I did and I am not a big fan of Mossberg #1.

Pat

The Versamax Tactical is number 1 in my book. Open the loading port and add the extended lifter and its ready to go. I think its the most dependable shotgun used in 3 gun.

I think its a bit too new to say that personally. I think the M2 is the most dependable because of the inertia system nothing to go wrong down the road with the gas system.

Pat

I've not owned a JMPro, but I have shot about 150 rounds through 2 different ones and another 100 or so just trying out others guns. Ran an 1100, then SLPs and am getting pretty close to going VM now that I have run hundreds of rounds through a stock VM Tactical.

Reason 1. The loading port on the VM is longer making loading faster and easier.

Reason 2. The VM will cycle 2.5 Dram loads out of the box.

Reason 3. The VM recoil, for the same load, is noticeably less.

Reason 4. The VM appears to run everything, even the crappy loads. I still will run AAs or STSs at majors, but being able to run $5/box promo loads at local matches is a financial benefit and won't frustrate me with malfunctions.

"Probable" Reason 5. The lifespan of the Mossberg before you start having issues beyond normal maintenance appears to be about 8K rounds or so. That number is probably 30K+ for the VMs. I have not looked at a shelled out VM yet and I know of several that are well into the 20K range. Just based on longevity, the VM is a "probably" better buy.

If you are on a budget and shoot a few locals a year and maybe a major or two, the JMPro is probably okay. Heck 6 years ago it was run a Benelli or maintain a Remington and one winning loading style. Now there are lots of better choices in platforms and loading techniques. Even 3 or 4 of the most prolific 1100 fans have switched to VMs. I have to think that in 5 years (political comments aside) we will have even more choices. If James and I owned a shotgun ammo factory, you can bet there would be more choices there too. Hopefully, someone will see the potential and step into the breech so to speak. That is all to say if you buy a JMPro and put 4K rounds on it over 4 years, you will be able to sell it as a good entry 3G shotgun for someone else and buy the next best thing.

+1

I've got 1000 rounds through my versamax now (most of them yucky reloads) and it's proving to be a terrific platform. It's been reliable, extremely feed friendly, gobbles up anything I feed it, has soft recoil, swings well and is generally an excellent platform. The JM will get the job done fine, but I'd personally rather have a used SLP than a new JM. The M2 is still the kkng of the hill and it deserves to be there. After some one on one time, I am now a Versa fan. Sort of hits the sweet spot in terms of reloading, versatility, reliability, longevity, recoil, lock speed, ease of maintenance, ergonomics, ect. The only known real issue is slug POI repeatability and by spring that will be all worked out too.

LOL. Well sort of. Funny story... I shot the Lake George match in Oct. It's a small, local match west of Colorado Springs, at the M-Lazy-C Ranch, up in the mountains. All close, fast, hoser stuff, and always really fun. I ran the Versa in that match and shot all reloads that day. The Versa ran flawless. I took the SLP with me to maybe sell just cuz I needed some money. Several competitors were interested in the SLP so I broke it out at the end of the day to let it be shot by prospective buyers. I had 2 guys just about to lock it down, when Carey walks up and says "lets have a look at that new Versamax!" I reluctantly broke it out and instantly my interested party went from 2 to 8. I had brought an extra 100 reloads for people to shoot the SLP, and there it sat unloved at the end of the table. I kept getting the SLP back into the mix, but once the Versamax was out all sales were off. It was interesting though, I did get to see the reactions of several people who shot the SLP and Versa, head to head. Most liked the Versa soft recoil and flat muzzle manors. The 3 Saiga jockeys there all preferred the fast action of the SLP. I also ran them head to head one last time. One thing which really stood out was that the SLP action is so fast that it almost feels violent in comparison. I never noticed it until after shooting the Versa for a while. I can more easily track the front sight when shooting really fast at multiple targets when using the Versa. A well messaged SLP shoots and loads really well, but the Versa (at least for me) is smoother shooting and loading. I am a hard sell on new equipment and generally only change when I believe it will put points on the board. My SLP was dead reliable and shot as well as any SLP or M2 I have ever personally run. I never bothered with the M2 because I already had the SLP and didn't feel the M2 would put points on the board for me. The Versa was a hard sell for me but it won me over. It was really difficult to watch the UPS lady walk my SLP through the door behind the counter on it's way to a new home. Someone got a really bitchin SLP, but I know I made the right choice. I can't lie though... It didn't hurt that my Versa came from the RM3G prize table. Thank you Remington!!!

If you decide to go all out, check out TaranTacticalInnovations. Taran Butler offers a full blown tricked out model for a pretty good price. I have an older M1 that he fixed up for me and it runs flawlessly. You cannot go wrong with getting something that already has all the tricks of the trade built into it.

I too have a JM Pro. At $600 it is a steal and has been 100% reliable with nearly two dozen different brands, loads and types of ammo.

Around here 3 gun matches occur four times a year on the 5th weekend of a month. It will be a long time before I reach 8K of rounds through the gun even assuming that number is valid since it lacks any evidence. I just can't justify a more expensive SG at this point. YMMV.

Thank you for all the replies! I'm going to shoot a few different guns and see which one I like the most. I'm definitely going to try out a Versa Max, and may just end up going that route.

I have been running a 26" field model with our full package on it and a box came in last week for me with a versamax tactical in it. The only things it came with that I don't add is the hi-viz front sight, bolt handel and bolt release button. I put a 10rd tube on it with the usual up grades. Was the sight, handel and button worth the difference in price? I think it's a wash. It comes down to a 26" verses a 22" and I love them both. With a shorgun it's all about the loading and our loading port is second to none.

I have been running a 26" field model with our full package on it and a box came in last week for me with a versamax tactical in it. The only things it came with that I don't add is the hi-viz front sight, bolt handel and bolt release button. I put a 10rd tube on it with the usual up grades. Was the sight, handel and button worth the difference in price? I think it's a wash. It comes down to a 26" verses a 22" and I love them both. With a shorgun it's all about the loading and our loading port is second to none.

Benny: Good to here you like both. I am thinking I will be going the 26" route so I can use it for a couple of different games. Thanks, Eric

If i may add my 0.02c worth here -

Make sure that the gun you buy actually fits you. All of the above mentioned guns will feel different when shouldered, and most likely point differently too for different people.

With the gun in hand, look at a distant object (door knob?) and then close both eyes, shoulder the gun and point it, then open your eyes and see if you are on target.