Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
TriggerHippie

New from Bay Area, CA

Greetings. I'm a beginning 3-gun and USPSA shooter in the Bay Area, shooting primarily at the Chabot Range and Richmond Rod & Gun Club (at which I am a member). I handload .223 and .45 ACP and I'm interested primarily in exchanging technical advice and learning the art of stage construction, as I have a bit of experience designing first-person shooter levels and I'm learning that a flair for stage construction seems to go a long way in the action shooting sport. I'm still at the "run what ya brung" stage in handgun shooting; I shoot a Kimber 1911, a Noveske Rogue Hunter/Armalite SPR hybrid .556 rifle, and a Mossberg 930 JM.

I started the account to ask a few stage construction questions I couldn't see answered anywhere else. I'm looking forward to learning more about the sport as I go on. Cheers all.

Edited by TriggerHippie

Welcome! I grew up in the Bay Area but live in Louisiana at the moment. I am trying to make it out to a Richmond USPSA in December to take my uncle to.

The Richmond Hot Shot Club is a good one with good folks and they do good matches (used to be a member) The old timers there are a crotchety and senile bunch, but they will take care of you. ;)

Lots of good info here on BE The search function is your friend and is a great way to kill a couple hours!

Welcome and Enjoy!

Edited by Bamboo

Welcome.

I planning on moving down to the bay after I graduate. Hopefully We can shoot together at a range in the near future. What events and ranges do you recommend checking out?

-Dan

Dan:

Triggerhippie's home ranges of Chabot and Richmond have active USPSA clubs, especially the latter. Other clubs at Sac, Davis and Concord. 3gun/IDPA and variants also at the larger venues.

Welcome.

I planning on moving down to the bay after I graduate. Hopefully We can shoot together at a range in the near future. What events and ranges do you recommend checking out?

-Dan

If you move to the bay, do a membership at Richmond Rod & Gun; it is the strongest range in the area in terms of access to world-class shooters and events. Twice-monthly USPSA matches and once-monthly IDPA matches, in addition to the access to the action range on weekends and at odd times during the week when it's available, makes membership well worth it.

Chabot if it is closer is also a very nice club with twice-monthly multi-gun matches as well as PPC. Both Chabot and Richmond seem to have very active rifle-shooting scenes as well as skeet fields. Chabot is in my opinion a little nicer for static line shooting where you're hanging out, chrono'ing ammo and shooting groups, though it is fairly remote.

There are a number of local indoor ranges which do not seem to cater to the competitive shooting scene at all, and a few I will not mention which seem to cater entirely to the paranoid-fantasist home-defense types.

Although it is a substantial drive from the Bay Area, an occasional trip to the Sacramento Valley shooting range in Sloughhouse is well worth it, in terms of access to very high quality instruction as well as 300, 800 and 1,000 yard ranges.

And, of course, I hope you can stand our insane gun laws. Join Cal Guns Foundation and help us un-f**k these laws please :)

Cheers -

Edited by TriggerHippie