Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS uniflow on 1050?

You could, but it would slow your production significantly, as that measure is manually actuated. Unless you are trying to dump a long-grained extruded powder into a 22 caliber or smaller cartridge, doing so does not make any sense. In that case, on the Super 1050 I would suggest changing to a more compatible powder. There are quite a few to choose from.

Powder measure adapter #20029-$21.95

RL450 Powder die #20308-$20.95.

RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure Case Activated Linkage Kit...

I use this system on a 650 and a 1050, one for pistol and one for rifle ammo, wouldn't do it any other way. Totally problem free, you don't have to disassemble the powder measure and polish and futz with it, and it will drop stick powders like Varget +- 2 tenths grain, better with flake or ball powders, and the real fine stuff doesn't bind it up. Like I said, totally problem free.

And you get a repeatable drop with the micrometer adjustment, and its case activated, so you don't have to operate the powder drop on each round, just keep pulling the handle...doesn't slow your production down at all.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I use this system on a 650 and a 1050, one for pistol and one for rifle ammo, wouldn't do it any other way. Totally problem free, you don't have to disassemble the powder measure and polish and futz with it, and it will drop stick powders like Varget +- 2 tenths grain, better with flake or ball powders, and the real fine stuff doesn't bind it up. Like I said, totally problem free.

And you get a repeatable drop with the micrometer adjustment, and its case activated, so you don't have to operate the powder drop on each round, just keep pulling the handle...doesn't slow your production down at all.

jj

What station are you running it in and what modifications to the press or powder measure if any. I already have 2 uniflows with linkage kits.

jj

What station are you running it in and what modifications to the press or powder measure if any. I already have 2 uniflows with linkage kits.

On the 650 I run it in station 3, put a mouth expander in 2.

On the 1050 (I count the decap/size station as station 1) I run it in station 5, station 4 is empty. (Mouth expands with #2, swage station)

No mods are needed as far as I know, I just stuck them in and adjusted IAW and they work great.

jj

• 3 years later...

another option for this drum style measure is the new lee auto drum. same principle as the RCBS and hornady. not as nice quality in parts (inner drum is plastic) but it works amazingly well and one big advantage is the quick change drums. you just set one up for each load/powder and it takes seconds to swap them out. they are $15 for a 4 pack. I now run it on my dillon 650. The good thing is it expands the case and drops powder in one so no need for an extra case belling die on a 650.

FWIW i just set up my 650 with the rcbs uni flow with case activated linkage.  Mine is set up as follows for .223 . Station #1 open(I prep my brass on a second head) ,Station #2 uni flow,Station #3 MBF,Station #4 seat,Station #5 Crimp.  Gone are the issues associated with stick powders not metering ! :) Gone also is the massive amount of powder tossed all over the press ! :) I did have to shorten the MBF dropper assembly to the same length as the 9 mm one to clear the uni-flow hopper. Also need to position the low primer alarm such that it clears the case activated linkage. All in all it took me about an hour to get it running like a champ. Now i can use any powder i desire.  YMMV

On 8/24/2016 at 3:47 PM, Chris777 said:

will the hornady powder measure fit on a 1050?  Seems like its too tall to clear the case feeder... 

I've never used it, but I had one lying around so I fitted it, and it does clear and cycle as shown in the photo (there is good clearance all around, despite how it may appear).

VA2H7096.jpg

On 8/24/2016 at 3:47 PM, Chris777 said:

is the RCBS shorter than the Hornady case activated powder measure?

Yes.  The RCBS Uniflow hopper is pretty tiny.  On the left is the Hornady, middle the Uniflow, and the right is the hopper from a RCBS 'Quick Change' measure.  You can order the Quick Change hopper (plus baffle and cap) to upgrade a Uniflow (or "Competition") measure, but I doubt it would fit under the case feeder - if anyone is really interested I could test that configuration after my vacation.  Note that there is also a RCBS "Quick Change High Capacity" measure, which is *not* compatible with the uniflow body.  

VA2H7097.jpg

I had to grind the Uniflow body (top of photo) to fit next to a Mr BF.  It would probably interfere if it had the standard hopper in it.

VA2H7106.jpg

Edited by roxfo

@roxfo... thanks for posting the pictures.  Will need to give that setup a try.  How new/old is your LNL Powder Measure... The linkages look different than the one I have which is a 5 years old...  Looks like Hornady made some design changes with the case activated linkages.

• 6 months later...