Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BEST RELOAD COMBINATION FOR GLOCK 34..115GR OR 124GR & POWDER

glockdude1

I am new to reloading...been at it for 3 weeks now...

I have been driving myself nuts trying to figure out my load combination for my Glock 34 to shoot in non-steel competition (indoor shoots)

My preference would be less recoil, but not so much that I get jams once in awhile because the spent shell won't eject fast enough..

I have tried both 115gr and 124 gr jacketed bullets...

I am using WW231 powder and have tried different load combinations...

Is it true that fast burning powders give you less recoil?....I thought that it was the opposite...

A lot of you guys like the VV N320, but it sounds like its' too hard to get, so I want to stick with either 231 or WSF..

Please give me your recommendations for lower recoil, not too dirty to shoot, no spent-shell jams, and greater accuracy....

Welcome to the club of mis-fits. There seem to be very few of us that like using the lighter weight bullets for competition. I actually prefer the 115 FMJ from Zero.

My G34 pet load:

115 FMJ (Zero)

4.6 grains of W231

This typically makes 131-132 power factor whe chronoed at major matches.

I quite honestly have never shot 124s. I've always had a steady supply of the 115. After about 8,000 of them, I gave the 147s a try with many different powder cominations. I gave them an honest attempt (approximately 2,000), and then switched back to 115s.

The difference in recoil impulse is quite noticeable. I dare say that the heavier bullet was definitely softer but also felt very sluggish compared to the quick, snappy behavior of the 115s. I also had a hard time finding a 147 load that was as accurate in my pistol as the 115s.

Don't let anybody fool ya'. You can have great success with any of the 3 bullet weights. The real key is just picking one and start sending bullets downrange.....lots of 'em.

Personally, I really like a 124 fmj/JHP over tite group. It's worked out really well for me in my 34/17/19 and even better in my Spartan V 9. I hear Solo 1000 is another really good glock powder for a 17/34 also.

124 gr MG JHP'S

4.1 tite group

1.140 OAL

138 average pf with a 10# Wolff spring.

Using 4.0 of titegroup at 1.145 here with a 124 Montana gold cmj as its the same bullet I use in my open gun. I like the 124 as it is a good compromise between the 115 snap and the slower 147 in both my 1911 and glock. I like the 147 in the glock but not in the 1911 but the 124 feels good in both

Only been loading for a few monts myself. But the 124 and titegroup is where I am eninnup too. Tried bullseye for awhile but smokes too much. Using Dillon 550 and shooting G34 Gen4 and kimber 1911 9mm. No problems out of either with decent clean barrel.

I tried tite group with CMJ/JHP Montana Gold 124gr. I found it a little snappy for my liking for race. I use power pistol I forget the powder charge, and 1.130 oal with KKM standard throat length barrel. Exceptional accuracy.

My preference would be less recoil, but not so much that I get jams once in awhile because the spent shell won't eject fast enough You have to turn the loads up to prevent stove pipes and such due to low slide speed or short travel.

A lot of you guys like the VV N320, but it sounds like its' too hard to get, Maybe at Fred's gun shop but it is in stock at Powder Valley which is where you should be buying from anyway because of availability and price. Just get a few guys together and order in bulk so you can negate the hazmat and shipping.

Please give me your recommendations for lower recoil, not too dirty to shoot, no spent-shell jams, and greater accuracy....

4.3 N320 MG 124 CMJ @1.13 135 PF out of my 34. One of the best loads around. Stable across all temperature ranges and dead nuts consistent through several chrono's.

115's are too snappy, 147's are too sluggish, 124's are juuuuust right.

I am going to say this twice due to the importance of it : pick a load and shoot the crap out of it. Once you get used to one load, all others will feel worse.

I think that there is a natural progression in the shooting/reloading sports. When you first start out, you will try and find the lightest recoiling load. You will shoot that for years and then try someone else's loads/gun. You will decide that theirs is better and switch to that. You will eventually land on something that works and stick with it and get so used to it that you never try anything else.

I personally started out with the big bullets going slow philosophy. I find myself moving to the small bullets going fast end of the spectrum.

Since you are on the other end, and since a glock has a relatively light slide anyway I would recommend my old load of 147's and unique. I am a huge fan of n320 and wanted to standardize with that powder for everything but my open loads. I loaded 131 pf loads with n320 and unique and could honestly tell zero difference so I went with the cheaper and easier to locate unique.

You should pick a combination and then quit researching it. The more you read about it the more you will keep trying to find the perfect load. Just like the perfect golf club, the perfect load will let you down as well. You will learn to shoot which ever load you shoot the most. Pick one and shoot the crap out of it.

Edited by Alphamikefoxtrot

That is very good advice....it does seem like everyone has their opinion and their opinion has 100% conviction with them...

I haven't tried the 147gr bullets, so I will give them a try and then pick a load and powder and start sending them down the range....

I like your analogy with golf clubs...I am a hard-core golfer and I tell all my non-shooting friends that shooting is just as frustrating as golf because one day you shoot like crap and you don't know why...same with a bad day at the golf course..

Thank you

I'm a fan of the heavier bullets and have some time springing or tuning my Trojan to them. Don't just go by feel take a friend to the range with a timer some varied ammo weights and check splits to find the set up that works best for you.

What works for me might not be the setup for you but some time with a timer and checking spring weights and bullet weights will improve your score.