Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old eyes are getting on my nerves

lablover

I have to throw my 2 pesos in here. Please check out multi-focal contact lenses. They may not give perfect 16" closeup, but they're hell on fire for distance and sight picture. I fit them a lot for shooters, and have had very good success with them. They work best with both eyes open type shooting. YMMV

If the multi focal contacts work anywhere near as good as multifocal implant lenses, they would be great for you. Due to cataracts, I had multi focal lenses implanted two years ago and they are GREAT. Perfect vision at any distance. My open gun hasn't left the safe since.

Getting Old is Not User Friendly,

My Eye Doc says one can't shoot any faster than eyes will focus from target to target, and as one gets older every thing slows down, some folks more than others.

Golden Years, My Hillbilly AZZZZZ, it takes a lot of gold.

Happy holidays,

Perry 76 yrs.

I"ve put in a lot of multi-focal lenses in my cataract patients and the shooters are essentially very happy. A question for Youngeyes,---- for your plano, presbyopic shooters are you fitting the multi-focal contacts in both eyes or just the dominant eye?

I'm 62, with all the associated issues. I am having great results from the Advantage Tactical sights, truly a "thinking out of the box" design:

http://www.advantagetactical.com/

I have never really gotten along with post & notch sights, but man, these things line up quickly and are easy for me to see. Here's a lousy picture of my Glock 35 with them on it. They come with red, orange, yellow, green, and white inserts for both front and rear so you can come up with the combination that works best for you. I chose the green front to contrast with reddish bullseyes, and the orange rear to contrast with the green front without diverting too much attention from the front sight.

sights_angle.jpg

sights_behind.jpg

Edited by michaelnel

I"ve put in a lot of multi-focal lenses in my cataract patients and the shooters are essentially very happy. A question for Youngeyes,---- for your plano, presbyopic shooters are you fitting the multi-focal contacts in both eyes or just the dominant eye?

Depending on age, I start them with minimum add in dominant eye only. I've also had some success with using an opaque cosmetic c/l. The pinhole effect can work well, although has some issues in lower light conditions. I've also used the cosmetic lenses for pinhole effect on patients with loss of iris secondary to trauma.

I'm 62, with all the associated issues. I am having great results from the Advantage Tactical sights, truly a "thinking out of the box" design:

http://www.advantagetactical.com/

I have never really gotten along with post & notch sights, but man, these things line up quickly and are easy for me to see. Here's a lousy picture of my Glock 35 with them on it. They come with red, orange, yellow, green, and white inserts for both front and rear so you can come up with the combination that works best for you. I chose the green front to contrast with reddish bullseyes, and the orange rear to contrast with the green front without diverting too much attention from the front sight.

sights_angle.jpg

sights_behind.jpg

Interesting, any problems holstering?

From the pictures looks like the sights are higher than std

I'm about to turn 50 and happen to be an ophthalmologist. I have perfect distance vision but need reading glasses for close-up work. I fit myself a contact for my dominant eye so that I can just make the front sight clear. This is called mono vision since you are essentially only using one eye at distance or near. The key is not to make it to strong, so you can just get the sight clear. This will allow minimal decrease in depth perception. It took a few weeks to get accustomed to it, but it is possible with the right motivation. It's now very comfortable and easy to shoot with both eyes open. This can be duplicated by purchasing cheap low-powered readers and popping the left lens out of the frames.

I am near 53. This is what I do - right eye contact is focused on the front sight (you can focus on the tip of your extended finger at eye doctor you are "good") and the left eye is focused on distance. I wear these "mono vision" contacts every day for years.