Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

better build between a STI, Caspian, or Para

jedmyers

That's not the same as a forged part. But it doesn't really matter for this discussion. Bar stock is more than adequate for a 1911 style pistol frame. Cast frames are a different story. They will build a good gun, but they will not have anywhere near the durability or lifespan.

I have heard this before, but know that both forged and cast frames can have issues. I think the post about the quality of the cast is what the issue is, not simply that a part is cast vs. forged. I would like for someone with some knowledge of metallurgy to weigh in on this one. Too many "internet facts" have clouded this issue for me.

If you want the frame with the best material out of the three get the SVI/STI. There's a reason why SVI/STI frames grealy outnumber Paras and Caspians.

As I've noted I've had one Para frame crack and a slide crack. Search and you will find reports of Para's cracking:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101629&hl=+para%20+crack#entry1791447

Caspians are few and far between.

The only reason (in my book) to get a Para is for feel, availability, cost and native cartridge capacity.

If you want the frame with the best material out of the three get the SVI/STI. There's a reason why SVI/STI frames grealy outnumber Paras and Caspians.

I would not consider SV and STI as the same. STI material quality, workmanship and customer service is not even close SV.

Edited by ltdmstr

SV and STI as the same. STI material quality, workmanship and customer service is not even close SV.

I've built several guns on both STI and SV frames and have found no difference in the quality of either basic frame. I have an STI framed gun I built over 15 years ago that is still running great and is my main limited gun. I can't comment about STI and SV built GUNS as I've always built my own, but as far as the basic frames go, I see no advantage of one over the other.

Edited by 392heminut

SV and STI as the same. STI material quality, workmanship and customer service is not even close SV.

What do you mean by this? STI material quality and customer service isn't close to SVI's?

I haven't bought a complete STI gun. But I have bought a complete SVI pistol. Can't say I was 100% satisfied with the SVI.

Your forged frame or forged anything will all depend on its heat cycles and heat treatment after the forge process. The cast frames are not porus, that is just huge grain size and a weak area when it breaks. When you over heat, or keep your heat at elevated temps for a long time grain size grows in steel. You can have that in a forged frame if it is improperly heated. I forge knives and can demo how to make steel look like rough cast and then in just a few cycles it will look like glass when I break it. FYI there are no cast frames in my safe.

You can have pores in cast, I have not seen them in any Para frames or slides or caspian frames that failed. I have seen the big silver painted sand look in the break area though. I am not an authority on failure of frames or slides that have been cut up and then fail though, just seen a few. Anything can fail though, that may not be the cast process fault though. The rest of the metals processing afterward or the end user may have led to the part failure. The only failure I have seen was of a forged frame and slide, but the squib was what did it in. :surprise: But the slide did split down that finely serrated and flat top section.

I've owned both SVI and STI as well as Caspian guns. I will say that SVI is a custom gun one smith builds the whole gun, they are very good. The STI is a Ford, each piece is done by a different smith (automotive assembly engineer puts door handles on). Caspians are custom builds. But the bottom line is they are all good enough for what we do, so it boils down to which one fits you, and your preference for a fat heavy boy or something lighter.

Having tried a number of Limited Gun configurations including CZ and Tanfo, SVI, Caspian, STI, I love my Edge, that heavy gun just feels good!!!

All I know about Para is what my smith tells me, get one change all the internals and put a new barrel in it and you got a pretty good gun.