Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Welding up of shotgun lifter/carrier

rngunner

Hi All

I am in England and looking to have my lifter/carrier welded to stop thumb bite, I have contacted Jeff Rumms (c-rums) in the States but he no longer ships to UK.

Does anyone know who can ship to me or anyone in England who can do the job.I have tried Valkrie Rifles in uk but they got theirs from Jeff anyway.

Thanks

Hi All

I am in England and looking to have my lifter/carrier welded to stop thumb bite, I have contacted Jeff Rumms (c-rums) in the States but he no longer ships to UK.

Does anyone know who can ship to me or anyone in England who can do the job.I have tried Valkrie Rifles in uk but they got theirs from Jeff anyway.

Thanks

I silver brazed a filler piece on my Versa Max. You should be able to find someone that can Tig Weld a filler in.

Welding any aluminum that isn't perfectly clean is a challenge. Welding thin aluminum cans is awfully tough - this shows miniumum heat that didn't burn the "paint" very far away from the weld. so I'd say yes, that's a good weld. I've heard of guys who can do this, they're the good ones who've done it for years. Watched a video of an old time race car builder welding aluminum with an oxy/acetylene torch and dipping the rod in flux - that looked awfully difficult.

The "or not" part would be blown out melted cans. Small aluminum parts are easy to destroy, if you didn't know the guy could pull it off first, I would order another part and have him try on it. This way you stil have a gun that works if he fails.

All it takes is a good welder, 1/16" filler rod, a bunch of cans and patients. TIG welding although slow can give you much more precision application of heat and filler than another method.

Edited by jmorris

I believe the lifter is stainless steel, not aluminum. And nowhere near as thin as a soda can. I would TiG weld it, but MiG is perfectly fine too. Provided you're using the the correct filler and gas. It's not a difficult job.

I believe the lifter is stainless steel, not aluminum. And nowhere near as thin as a soda can. I would TiG weld it, but MiG is perfectly fine too. Provided you're using the the correct filler and gas. It's not a difficult job.

Maybe your perception of a "difficult job" is different than mine, I have over thirty years welding experience and I would not try it with GMAW (the term "mig" is rarely used any more) due to the lack of control and heat input.

Mildot

Check the Four Islands forum in the UK

http://four4islands.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

Steve at Shield in Dorset also does them sometimes and this weekend I am shooting with a guy who is a metal fabricator who has done a friends.

If you have no joy PM me your telephone number and I will give you a call.

The original poster never mentioned the make and model shotgun. The Versa Max lifter is not stainless. I silver brazed stainless into mine. A friend that has a Tig welder tried stainless with poor sucesss, a piece of carbon steel got much better results.

I've never seen a shotgun lifter made of aluminum. Mr Morris was bragging about his ability with a welder. I've been impressed with his welding and his targets. :D

Hello: You may also look into a jewelry maker who can silver solder stuff. Another option would be a coach builder who can solder stuff up. You may laugh at the jewelry maker but I had one weld up a speedometer shaft for the pointer. The shaft was only 0.050" in diameter and he did not even burn the plastic case. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Maybe your perception of a "difficult job" is different than mine, I have over thirty years welding experience and I would not try it with GMAW (the term "mig" is rarely used any more) due to the lack of control and heat input.

Mildot

Why? I weld thin 20-22g metal all the time with mig on car bodies.

Mildot

Why? I weld thin 20-22g metal all the time with mig on car bodies.

Curious also, I have a little gas Mig setup in the garage that does alot of great work.

Mildot

If you have that much experience, I have a hard time understanding how you think this is a difficult job. With regard to heat control, Mig is used all the time for automotive sheet metal repairs and that's a whole lot thinner and prone to warpage than a shotgun lifter. As I stated, I agree that TiG is a better choice. But there's no reason why this can't be done with MiG with just as good results. As for terminology, MiG is still a commonly used term. In fact, more common than GMAW. For example, the Miller Welding web site uses MiG as the main heading for GMAW machines. For what it's worth, I have multiple AWS and ICAR certifications for TiG and MiG, so I have some idea what I'm talking about. As for material, the OP doesn't specify, so I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that he had a Benelli. Someone else mentioned Versa Max, but I didn't see that in the OP. If it's mild steel, that just makes things easier.

Gosh...what a lot of info comming here.

Ok, it is my topic and the gun in question is a Mossberg 930 JM Pro, what is the lifter/carrier made of ?

As a side question what is the lifters/carriers on Benelli/Remington 1187 made of.

What Dan said, find someone that had a TIG welder.

If you don't want them ruining your part you can "test" them with some cans first.

tig.jpg

I did the very same thing 20 years ago on a $25.00 bet that I couldn't do it, I keep the cans in my tool box for a long time after, I dont know what happened to them to this day ?? But I do want to make something clear the lifter is not aluminum, but still needs to be welded as cold as possiable

• 3 weeks later...