Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving across the country Gun and class 3 transport question

Hey all,

So in about 30 days I will be moving to the Dallas, Texas area from Pennsylvania. As a competitive shooter, I have accumulated a few guns, but nothing crazy. I want to bring what I haven't sold, but I am NOT taking a truck or moving truck or anything of the sort. I am driving down in my car and will be stopping for a night about 8-10 hours from here, again in Nashville, and spending a night in Little Rock. Once I get there, I will be living in a hotel for a few days/week until I find an apartment.

I'm wondering the best way to ship or get a few rifles and pistols down there. I was thinking about shipping them to myself, but didn't know how to go that route (and if it's even legal). Is that do-able or not worth the trouble?

I also have an SBR lower and 22 can, and I know they are legal there but didn't know what I had to do about getting them there. I will be taking those with me, but wasn't sure if I had to file papers to stop or whatever, since it's all part of the trip.

Also, i have my PA LTCF (CCW, CCP) whatever you call it, and was just wondering if there are any crazy rules about carrying between PA and Texas. I know I'm legal in every state but MD, so will lock er up through there. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

First off, welcome to Texas. Dallas is the home of a gun show every weekend (sometimes two), but places to actually shoot are getting leaner. Check out dfwshooters.org for the local competition message boards.

With your own vehicle and a relatively small collection I would just take them in your vehicle. CCW on you, the others at the bottom of the presumable pile of personal stuff you'll have in the trunk. Hopefully your car will not look like the okies in Grapes of Wrath. When stopping, inside your room is best, but not if it makes a scene getting inside. In a golf bag with a cover works pretty well :devil:

Shipping to yourself is legal but $$ and problematic since you don't really have a address to receive them unless you know someone or a sympathetic business. I would not want to ship to a hotel and have them sitting in their back room unattended, for example. Pistols need to go overnight IIRC, long guns can go ground, using UPS or FedEx. No USPS unless to/from a FFL. You could ship to a gun shop but I believe you have to transfer them out as if you were buying them.

I am not yet up on NFA stuff but there is an ATF travelling form to be filed, check it out. I believe stops are covered as long as you are reasonably en route.

Don't know carry rules off hand, check them out state by state to be sure. Texas CHL is pretty easy to deal with. There's a specific sign to watch for if the business doesn't want your money, but it's rare to see. Bars post a 51% sign for no carry. Declare to a police officer if you come in contact and get asked for ID. Lots of government offices off-limits due to courts etc.

Hey guys,

thanks for the head's up. I heard there are some more dallas clubs opening up. I'm more about multi gun than pure USPSA (gasp!) so from what I understand there should be a good bit. I'm also used to driving an hour or more for local matches.

So what else fun is there to do in Dallas? I think I will take the car only idea, and bought a case. I'll get a ton of insurance so God-forbid anything happens I'll be at least covered.

You can definitely shoot something nearly every weekend day as long as you're willing to drive a bit, and some weekday stuff too. New RZR range north of McKinney looks good but having trouble getting out of the gate, and there's rumblings of some other ranges too. Multigun of various flavors a couple times a month plus big stuff like FB3G. I'm frankly burned out on multigun and priced out of the bigger local match entries ($15-$30 per stage really?), but the matches are full and get good reviews, so more power to them. I've cut back to plate matches and only a local fun range instead of the good practice place, and spend my range days mostly taking newbies out from work.

For your daily life you need to really check your work and house locations, some commutes can be a real time beating or $$ in tolls, the whole metroplex is an hour across anyways.

Depends what your idea of fun is :ph34r:

FYI: Your SBE cant move till you have an address where your moving and you get the return 5320.20 form back.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

Since you dont know where your going to live you may want to consider putting the lower and silencer it in a safety deposit box and doing the paperwork once your established, yes it will entail a trip back but you wont end up in jail.

I would see if you can get a large enough box to put the upper in as well due to constructive intent clause.

PM or email me if you would like more info.

FYI: Your SBE cant move till you have an address where your moving and you get the return 5320.20 form back.

http://www.atf.gov/f...f-f-5320-20.pdf

Since you dont know where your going to live you may want to consider putting the lower and silencer it in a safety deposit box and doing the paperwork once your established, yes it will entail a trip back but you wont end up in jail.

I would see if you can get a large enough box to put the upper in as well due to constructive intent clause.

PM or email me if you would like more info.

Do I understand correctly. As long as you are moving to a county/state that allows an SBR and suppressor, a Form 5320 is all that is needed? I thought you probably had to get approved or at least advise the local sheriff.

What if the original purchase was through a trust. Additional problems?

Thanks.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter