Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550B Primer Problem

For all you 550B owners out there I have a question. Is there any way to completely avoid primer problems on the 550B besides just hand priming? Just got my 550 changed over from .45ACP to .38/.357 yesterday which, or course, necessitated changing from a large primer to a small primer. Everything went perfectly except the dreaded primer slide. It's either one thing or another. Either the primer slide doesn't go back far enough to let a primer fall into the cup or some way the darn things get disoriented in the magazine tube and won't drop at all. So, by the way, another question. With 100 primers loaded in the magazine is where any way to get them out without taking the magazine off which results in new primers all over your work bench, the floor and who know where else? Kind of a real p***er for someone that's comparatively new at handloading. Third question, how does 3.2gr Win231 behind a 158gr Berry's round nose sound? Am I starting too low? Thanks for letting me rant?

A couple of things to check:

• Have you changed the primer magazine tube? Primers should not be able to get disoriented in the tube - unless you have small primers in a large primer tube.
  • Is the area under the primer slide clean and dry? There shouldn't be any oil or lubricant under the primer slide - except powdered graphite.
  • Make sure you've reattached the small spring to the bottom of the primer slide.

As far as removing primers from the primer magazine - I don't know of a way to empty the magazine (other than by loading rounds) without having them all come out as you described.

Until you get the primer feed working smoothly you might want to just put in 10 or 15 primers at a time - then you won't have to deal with 100 of them that you need to get out of the magazine.

Swapping the primer slide takes a little practice and patience, but after doing it a time or two it is actually quite easy to do.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks Tom. 10-4 on everything you said. I don't know how they get disoriented unless I put them in the wrong way with the pickup tube. Don't think I did that. I'm going to take your advice until I get it smoothed out and just put a few primers in at a time rather than load all 100. I'll call Dillon if I can't get it going. Thanks again.

Have you got a good and solid reloading bench? I have seen problems with case feeders dropping cases upside down because of a shaky table, maybe primers suffer the same problem.

You could call Dillon and see what they suggest.

Sent by someone using something.

Is the press set level? The primer slide needs to be clean. Use a small fine cut file to remover any sharp edges that have built up. The idea is to remove the least amount of material just the sharp marks. Use Powdered Graphite as a lubricant on the slide bar. Helps to keep the bar from sticking. If the slide is not picking up a primer you may need a slight adjustment on the on the rod that pushes the primer slide back most times a slight bend will do it. If the primer punch pin is bent or the cup is full of trash it won't pick up a primer. Adjust the primer slide with the bolts loose the cup should move up into the shell plate easily. If not correct that issue before tighting the bolts. If the primer slide is adjusted correctly and lubed with graphite it should run several thousand rounds before a serious cleaning.

Cases clean and lubed. Just a small amount of lubricant on the cases makes the whole process easier on the press, stays in adjustment longer, the dies, brass and the operator.

Keep a small brush by the bench and clean any media or old powder out of the primer slide bar track. Don't have an air compressor get a can of spray air from an office supply store. Give it a blast when it cruds up. If the primer punch is bent it will usually wallow out the slide bar also inspect the slide bar.

Got issues call Dillon, they have great support.

Get a reloading manual or check Handloader.com on your load.

Sounds like the plastic ring at the bottom of the primer tube is bent or out of round. Happened to me once and called Dillion and replaced the ring and away I went.

Pull the primer tube out and check it. If the primers are dropping out 2-3 at a time that might be your problem. Also, check the spring on the primer feeder, it could be streched out if it is not returning all the way.

With the handle in the up position, is the primer cup lined up on the shell plate or is it out of alignment?

Hey guys, I think my primer problem solved itself. At least I think it has. I loaded a dozen primers in the magazine tube by hand just a little bit ago. Deprimed and primed a dozen pieces of brass without a hitch. Performed perfectly. I've yet to work up the nerve to load a 100 primers since I'm still finding some of the first 100 on the floor. Anyway, I think it had to be something I was doing. If it continues to function correctly I just might consider another 550 for large primer calibers. Thanks for everyone's concern. Now if I could just get some concrete advice on how many grains of Win231 to put behind my Berry's 158grRN. Some are saying that 3.2gr is too light.

Be sure the height of the primer cup and punch are correct. Measuring from the underside of the primer slide to the top of the cup, should be 1.215-1.220" tall. If too tall, use a clamp or vise to reseat the cup and punch, and to hold them in place while retightening the set screw.

I don't lube the primer punch however I use some silicon lube on the bottom of the primer slide. Whatever you lube you want to make sure that it stays way away from the primer. My primer slide sticks to the back some times and I have to do some cleaning and lubing again fresh.

Everyone's ideas are valid, i've had to check/do all of them over the last 10 years. I found a new problem though. I was loading tonight and was having a lot of problems with the sliding bar, it was not moving freely, even after i cleaned it and polished it. i found after looking VERY closely at it that i must have been tightening the two hold down screws too much. I have buldged the housing and the slider doesn't move throught it smoothly. I will call Dillon on Monday and order another one. I am afraid its too bad to be filed down. I would attach a picture of it, but its too small of an area to photograph. You might check yours. When i get the new one, i'll make sure i don't put too much torque on it.

I would attach a picture of it, but its too small of an area to photograph.

No pictures needed. That's a common problem created on the 550 for many a user.

That makes me feel better. I broke the crank many years back. My gunsmith said "I was putting too much ass behind it".

For this thread and future reference:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.
  • Grease the short end of the op-rod where it inserts into the bracket clamped around the primer shield.