Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Square Deal B reasonable yearly round count?

I have an older Square Deal B that I load 9mm, 40 and 45 for myself and my neighbors. Last year I loaded about 10,000 rounds and I have the press set up the way I like it. I find it relaxing to make about 300 rounds an hour at a reasonable pace.

My concern is that I recently found that the handle was cracked resulting in high primers and inconsistent OAL. I have a new handle and bearings on the way thanks to Dillons no hassle warranty. My question is am I expecting too much of this little press? Am over stressing it and can I expect that there will be more failures in the future, or was this a one time failure and I should expect it to chug along for many thousand's of rounds to come?

19d0130d9c76e20cddeb72c2d8bc2470.jpg

Thanks

Craig

You'll find the new handle you receive is beefed up. With the warranty it not an issue.I now load on a XL650 but owned 2 SDB's prior, loading at the same pace as yours.

If you haven't tried lubing your brass with Hornady One Shot, give it a try. I'll bet you won't stop once you start. Just a light mist on your brass, makes a huge difference in the effort taken to size cases. The other benefit I found is that my OALs became much more consistent as well.

Thanks for the reply, I totally agree with you about the Hornady one shot. I use a Lee push through resizing die on a single stage press for both 40 and 45, and lube prior to loading. I get amazingly consistent OAL's on those rounds. The 650 is quite tempting considering I also load 30 Carbine on the single stage press, but I have quite the investment in the SQDB. Glad to hear that the handle has been beefed up.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Never ceases to amaze me that folks don't lube every case that goes through a press, sizer, etc... Of all the info we get on a package of anything we buy, it seems, "with these carbide dies no lube is required", seems to be religiously followed. Until they try lubing just once that is.

Craig, I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds thru my SD, and it has required

some repairs every once in a while - but they're FREE :surprise:

So, I don't care how often the little devil breaks - :cheers:

Now, if Dillon goes out of business (doubt it) or cancels their free repair

warranty, THEN I'll worry and reconsider how to replace my SD - in the

meantime, I'd tickled pink with mine. :bow:

I had my older SDB handle break at the same place. Prompt replacement from Dillon. The new design handle is beefier than the old style. I suggest you give the Hornady One Shot lube a try also. Cases will glide through the machine, and it will not affect the powder either if you get some inside the cases.