Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 45 ACP loading...Need some advice

lablover

I have another thread going in General reloading about switching to cast/Bayou.

Anyway, The Wife and I just picked up 2 new Kimber 1911 for carry purpose. I don't want these babies just sitting around so I'm looking to find a good starting load that wont give me fits function wise.

The Wife has the Kimber Tactical 3" version and it has a 18lb spring. I have a 4" from the custom shop :) and it has a 22 lb spring. Yes, I'd like to have a light load but don't want to mess with springs just yet. We are shooting factory loads right now (full power 230 gr hardball) I want her to appreciate the recoil.

I was thinking Clays powder from what I have read here. I guess I could mess with the springs but the last 1911 I had was a government issue 1911 in the Marines. These compacts are a little different than the full size (spring wise) I'm sure it's pretty easy to change them out. I digress, yes, I would change the springs if need be.

Mostly looking to develop a decent paper puncher for right now. Being new guns I have no clue if they can or like to eat SWC? I think our factory defense load will be a Remington 185 gr Golden Sabre or any other good suggestions.

We love to shoot and shoot a lot. Went thru about 3K last month on the 9's

So any advice on a good starting point would make my life a little more easy

Thanks a million in advance

3.9 of Clays, 230gr bullet, 1.25 OAL. It shoots 176 pf in my 5" 1911.

If you do some looking around you'll find that this is a pretty popular recipe.

Kevin

ETA just so we're clear. I mean regular Clays, NOT International or Universal.

Edited by kevinj308

Outstanding...Gives me something to look for and give me a place to start. Regular Clays....Got it :)

I think I'm going to invest in small primer brass that way it's easier to change over on the Dillon 650. I don't see any disadvantage to using small primers.

What Steve RA said. Use 4.3 gr of Clays with a 200 gr swc lead bullet. Moly coated Precision Bullets. Overall lenght is 1.245-1.25. Crimp is .470.

These load works in 2 45's I have. No leading, good accuracy and comftable to shoot.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. Do you think I will need to drop the recoil spring weight with this 3.9 clays load?

Consider it practice at malfunction clearing. I know a full range of major and minor PF loads run in the government model Kimber I used to have, and it runs fine in the Sig I currently have with its stock springs. I find them less finicky about powder charge than bullet profile/overall length. The only thing I've found that wouldn't cycle the thing due to powder charge was Trail Boss.

That said, I wouldn't sweat spring fiddling too much -- recoil springs are wear parts especially in the compact models.

Ened up using 230 JHP Zero's with 4.5 Titegroup. Recoil is pretty soft, even the wifey can't stovepipe em! Got the load from a local ammo manufacturer who loaded me up a dozen or so and said give it a try. After shooting them at the range I fell in love so he gave me the specs and I've been pumping them out since. Even out of the Wifes 3" Kimber these are making bug holes all day long.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Planning to use WSF with 230 gr plated in 45 ACP. Found some data:

Lyman manual: 6.0-6.7 gr for TMJ 230 gr, OAL 1.275

Hodgdon online data: 5.8-6.3 for LRN 230 gr, OAL 1.200

Have read that plated bullet loads should be closer to cast lead loads, or between that

and loads for jacketed bullets.

Comments ?

Not to shift off topic but doesn't Glock come with big warning signs 'No Lead Boolits'?

I hear horror stories of things going wrong in Glocks shooting lead due to the way they rifle the barrels.

Then I hear the opposite and I get confused.

Not to shift off topic but doesn't Glock come with big warning signs 'No Lead Boolits'?

I hear horror stories of things going wrong in Glocks shooting lead due to the way they rifle the barrels.

Then I hear the opposite and I get confused.

I have been hearing yea and no for years on this question. I think in the end, it is up to the owner with a glock barrel.

I have not run any plain lead through my Glocks, however, I have run quite a few thousand Bayous and other coated lead without any issues or signs of leading. Actually, there are some other threads out there that talk about Bayous and how clean they are. And, they are the cleanest bullet I have ever shot with almost no residue or anything in the barrel. Now if I could just convince myself to shoot VV powder which is supposed to be cleaner than my 231...

Have read that plated bullet loads should be closer to cast lead loads, or between that

Comments ?

Plated bullets should be closer to lead -- start 10% below the max for a given lead load, and work from there if you have to.

Copper is harder than lead, so when you coat a bullet of the same profile with a coat of copper, you won't be able to push it as fast given the same maximum pressure.

Comments ?

Plated bullets should be closer to lead -- start 10% below the max for a given lead load, and work from there if you have to.

Copper is harder than lead, so when you coat a bullet of the same profile with a coat of copper, you won't be able to push it as fast given the same maximum pressure.

One would think, but I've found it to always be closer to Jacketed Loads.

I'm not sure. My favorite resource on the topic is the Accurate powder loading guide, since they have data for all sorts of jacketed, a fair amount of plated (Rainier and Berrys), and a decent smattering of lead. What I frequently run into, though, is there's such a variation in bullet profiles even within weights that selecting a particular FMJ or lead bullet for comparison may still yield dramatically different results.

For example, looking at 9mm, they've got the 124 grain Golden Saber, XTP, and Gold Dot. On the Golden Saber, the max load is 1.145" OAL and 4.7 grains of #2. On the XTP, it's 3.6 grains at 1.06" OAL, and on the Gold Dot, it's 4.3 grains at 1.105" OAL. On top of that, it's entirely possible that you might have to vary OAL to get correct feeding, depending on the gun.