Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hackers

Atlgentlegiant

I hate hackers, script kiddies, anonymous and all the rest with the exception of a few "white hat" folks who try to work hard to protect some of the rest of us. I am a techie and once upon a time I did learn how to hack, do security intrusions and the like as part of a skill set needed for my job. I never used it outside of work. It used to be that hacking was a novelty and most of those who engaged in it were not political or malicious but saw it as a game and often would notify their victims of what they did and how to fix it. Sadly things have changed.

I hate the hackers who do it "just because I can" or "these people need to be taught a lesson". Hacking has become far too easy with all the tools available and now far too many use it for personal or political gain. The money companies have to spend to try and combat hackers is getting to be a very large amount and is often money that could be used to improve other systems.

I feel for Brian over this forum being hacked. I have had to clean up after a forum hack before and it is not fun.

Edited by Atlgentlegiant

Wondering if these hackers had a motive-not that he (they) needed one.

It looked like someone put a malware dropper on the site. The malware could have any number of uses, from making computers part of a botnet to stealing credit card information. I didn't really look into it too closely apart from reading the details on the "Google says this is an attack site!" page.

BE probably wasn't targeted specifically. Someone probably got their hands on a vulnerability in the forums software and searched for forums with software of the appropriate version.

The hackers that cause peoples computers to crash should get a twenty year prison term with no early release. I've lost two to those turds but haven't had a problem since getting an Apple.

+1 I finally made the plunge too & bought a iMac. No more problems like I had before.

The hackers that cause peoples computers to crash should get a twenty year prison term with no early release. I've lost two to those turds but haven't had a problem since getting an Apple.

Personally, I feel Caning is a more appropriate punishment

Force them to use a Mac..... J/K

It's become a full time job to keep up with a forum site. Hats off to those that do so !