Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.338 Lapua Optic

3gungeezer

I am using a Schmidt and Bender 5-25 on my AI-X 338.

One guy has showed up a few times with his Savage with a Nightforce 8-32. He has done well.

We shoot out 338s our past 2,000 yards every few months at NRA Whittington in Raton NM at the 338 Magnum match.

First I recommend that you decide whether or not that you will require an FFP or SFP scope. Then determine how far you intend to shoot. Once you figure those two things out, then consider your scope because not all scopes will provide the amount of elevation travel that you will need to shoot max effective range of the 338LM.

I also have an AI AX 338LM, but use a Nightforce 5.5-22x56. Its SFP and has 100MOA of internal travel. That coupled with the 30moa taper in the base gives me about 80MOA total elevation adjustment which allows me to dial and hold dead on at 2000 yards.

The NF 8-32 is limited on travel to 65MOA total meaning that with a 20 MOA base, you will get about 52 MOA total meaning about 1500 yards before you need to hold over additional in your reticle.

My farthest shooting has been to 2172 yards shooting 300 grain Berger Hybrids. I dialed 80 minutes and held 17 minutes on my reticle to hit a 40" x 40" steel square. I hit it 3 out of 5 times. I can routinely hit a 30" x 30" steel at 1800 by dialing 67 minutes.

Moral of the story. Buy the best glass you can afford to get the max potential out of the rifle you just bought.

A buddy of mine with seemingly unlimited funds bought a S & B. He is a Pathologist and looks through the best microscopes money can buy all day. So, he wanted to buy what he though was the best glass. After spending some time behind my Nightforce he decided my glass was better. He now owns three NXS's, one of which is on his Sako TRG in .338LM. It's all subjective so get behind the glass your interested in. BTW, he is sent his S & B back for warranty repair after the top turret broke a couple of months ago. Last time we talked, he was still waiting for his scope to be returned.

RT

I made my first 1 mile hit with this caliber and a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS. Even with a 100 yard zero you have plenty of adjustment for the 106 MOA (approx.) you'll need to make the shot. The 5.5-22x50 will give you 100 MOA plus an extra 20 MOA from a reticle like the NP-R2. Great combo...good luck.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nightforce has stepped their game up these past few year's ! Schmidt and Bender has been around a long time and the USMC runs them on their M40's so you decide or let your pocket book decide! Buy once/cry once!!!

• 2 years later...