Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 5r Milspec in 300wm

landshark45

Anyone have this rifle or seen it shot?

Im thinking about picking one up used locally for $1000 less than 20rds fired.

Is there something better for the $$ I should be looking at?

The rifle will be used for 1000yd++ shooting and never anything less than 600yds.

Def wana stick with 30cal.

Edit for 300wm only.

Edited by landshark45

For a "stock" rifle, it's a fairly good option. It's a good length, decent stock, good barrel, good action. The 5R rifling may not be everything is hyped to be but most reports are that it is less prone to fouling and needs less cleaning. If I had it to do over again, it's likely what I would start with.

The only real question I have is why 300 WM? Magnum calibers have their place but they are more expensive to shoot and are harder on your shoulder as well. If you are spending a lot of time shooting well over 1000yds, then that might be the correct choice, but .308 is perfectly capable at 1000+ yds

Edited by Graham Smith

For a "stock" rifle, it's a fairly good option. It's a good length, decent stock, good barrel, good action. The 5R rifling may not be everything is hyped to be but most reports are that it is less prone to fouling and needs less cleaning. If I had it to do over again, it's likely what I would start with.

The only real question I have is why 300 WM? Magnum calibers have their place but they are more expensive to shoot and are harder on your shoulder as well. If you are spending a lot of time shooting well over 1000yds, then that might be the correct choice, but .308 is perfectly capable at 1000+ yds

300wm because I have a 308 that is very capable at 1000.

I'm wanting a step up from 308 performance wise at 600+.

& 300wm because it might be used as a hunting rifle at extended ranges.

I live in far west tx and winds are typically 10-20mph on emost days.

Edit for this rifle would most likely come out at 700ish yds when the performance would have a distinct advantage over 308.

Edited by landshark45

I can't speak for the 300WM but I have the 700 5R milspec in .308 and .223. Both do their tasks extremely well. If I didn't have a Sendero in 7mm mag I might be looking at the 300WM also. I bought each rifle for $950 each new from Fin Feather and Fur Outfitters. If I remember correctly the 300WM didn't cost not much more if any.

RT

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Desert Tactical SRS in 300 Win Mag with a 26" Barrel and Grizzly Muzzle Break. It cost more but is extremely flexible since they offer Barrel conversions from 223 to 338 that can be interchanged using the same SRS Chassis. Makes for a Great Platform. I have read good things about the 7mm SAUM round as well. Sierra is making 210 grain Bullets with a Ballistic Coefficient of .645 in 30 Cal. which is perfect for the 300 WM for Long Range work. The DTA SRS is a Heavy Rifle and with the Grizzly Break it feels more like a 308. I don't think I would shoot a Hunting rifle in 300 WM as it would beat your shoulder up but if you could find a 7mm SAUM that would be great for long range hunting.

The Remington 5R in my opinion, is the best value for an out of the box rifle. The secret for good out of the box performance is to properly torque the action screws to 65 in pounds give or take 10%. By tuning the action screw torque, you can really unleash good performance.

Shooting Mil-Spec A191 (190SMK) the gun would shoot 3/4" at 100. Using my handloads of 208 AMAX's over 68.4gr. of RL17, the gun shoots 1/2" at 100 with ease and maintains 1moa to 1000 yards.

My gun is stock. The only upgrade was an Extreme CG 2 stage trigger. Next will be a Surgeon bottom metal.

I have a true Mk13 Mod 7 clone built to spec and it does not shoot any better than my 5R.

The main thing for Long Range work is that you will need a 1 in 10 twist to stabilize the Heavier Bullets. Desert Tactical is very nice because you have your choice of using one Chassis platform to shoot the following 8 Calibers.

308 Winchester

.260 Remington

6.5x47 Lapua

7mm Winchester Short Mag

.300 Winchester Magnum

.338 Norma

.338 Lapua Magnum

I also have both a .308 and .223 Reminton 700 5R Mil Spec. Both rifles have been blueprinted (actions trued) and are sub 1/2 min rifles at 200 yards. I have not shot either of them past 200 yards yet. My .308 is in an Accuracy Intl 1.5 stock and the .223 is in the factory Remington stock. I don't think you can go wrong starting with a 700 action. The .308 is lacking somewhat past 800 yards for precision rifle. The 300 Win Mag will certainly perform at 1000 yards but as noted is expensive to shoot and beats on the body. The 6.5x47 Lapua will out perform the .308 and has less recoil and so does the 6.5 Creedmor. My next project is to build a new rifle in one of these calibers for long range precision rifle.

• 3 weeks later...

I know you mentioned sticking with .30 cal, but definitely take a look at the 7RSAUM as well. Having shot one extensively at 1000 yards over the last two years(I made the US Long Range F-Class team shooting this...matter of fact, 7RSAUM is what 90% of team is shooting). It'll push a Berger180gr hybrid easily at 3000fps..gives you 55" of wind drift at 1000 yards in 10 mph wind...this compares to rough(if I remember correct) 74" of wind drift in a 308 shooting the 155 at 3000fps....barrel life is between 900-1800 rounds depending on who you ask...Danny Biggs set the national record last spring in AZ shooting the RSAUM that had 1800 rounds down it..two back to back 200/15x's..that's 15 shots into a 5" circle, with the other five remaining within a 10" circle.

Another good round is the straight .284.. It pushes the same 180 gr bullet between 2800-2900fps depending on how long you want your brass lasting..2820-2850 is the sweet spot for the round and will hold 1/2moa at 1000 if the driver does his part. Barrel life on the 284 is 1800-2500, again, depending on who you ask..

If you do choose another 308, IMO, go with a 11:25 twist barrel...

Then there is the 6Dasher, my favorite, but another story..

Edited by falconpilot