Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 to 9 conversion

Skins45

I'd like to get into USPSA production but have one very important question that Google couldn't answer. I have a m&p40 which will have to be my competition gun but I run it with a s&w 9mm factory barrel (I don't want a discussion on if it works or not, I've used it for years on the range with great success). Since I want to run Production, can I use the 9mm barrel? Again, it is straight from the factory. I don't want to use .40 because power factor is null. Thanks

I'd like to get into USPSA production but have one very important question that Google couldn't answer. I have a m&p40 which will have to be my competition gun but I run it with a s&w 9mm factory barrel (I don't want a discussion on if it works or not, I've used it for years on the range with great success). Since I want to run Production, can I use the 9mm barrel? Again, it is straight from the factory. I don't want to use .40 because power factor is null. Thanks

as noted, you can't use a conversion barrel, at least not at any match where people care about stuff like that.

I just load the 40 to 125-130 power factor. it shoots just as soft as 9mm, maybe softer, and it makes bigger holes.

With your equipment I would suggest either shooting 9mm in limited or shooting the 40 in L10 for your first few matches I would suggest going with limited less reloads to worry about and the first few matches are more about learning the game than being competitive. Once you have a few matches under your belt you will have a better idea of what division and equipment you want to compete with.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I've had excellent results with 155 grain bullets in .40 Minor compared with 147 grain 9mm. It's easier and a bit safer (in terms of operating pressure) to make minor with Clays in .40, if that's what you're using. However, I only have a 9mm fullsize and a .40 5" to compare, so your results may vary with the exact same gun plus a conversion barrel.

For larger casters like Missouri, the price difference shouldn't be much at all.

If you don't reload ammo yourself, you can buy reloaded ammo from a few companies who load 40S&W to make Minor Power Factor. The most popular company would probably be Atlanta Arms. They also sell 40S&W to make Major Power Factor should you want to try Limited or Limited 10.

If you go this route or even reload the ammo yourself, you might have to change your recoil spring to a softer version to allow the slide to work as expected due to the weaker ammo. Check the "Gun Springs" forum to see if there are any suggestions already out there for shooting the M&P 40 in Minor Power Factor.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

• 5 weeks later...