Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another safety post

BrianQ

Two things; both in reference to SP01. First one is a question; second is for conversation.

1) when "made ready" hammer down for DA first shot but do you also need to activate the safety?

2) If 90% of the time people are trying to do something with the safeties (larger, smaller, slimmer....) and don't use them in the first place. Why not make a version with out safeties?

Edited to add, I'm assuming you are asking these questions with USPSA Production in mind.

1. No. See Rule 8.1.2. Additionally, a properly fitted safety shouldn't even engage when in DA.

2. While I wouldn't be against it, it would limit options for those looking for other purposes (IDPA ESP, USPSA Limited minor, Concealed Carry, etc) This would also require them to redesign the frame, sear cage, etc. I'm guessing it's more trouble than it's worth.

Edited by Jonathan Taliani

1) no you don't need to put the safety on with the hammer down.

2) some people ride the safety with their thumb like a 1911 and like a larger safety pad, some do not ride the safety and the larger safety's are easier to accidentally bump on. CZ does make a decocker version but some say that the triggers aren't as good, but I have seen them used.

Mike

1) At "make ready" you holster with the hammer fully down and no need for a safety.

2) For me personally, I like the larger safety as my thumbs rides the safety like a 1911. Whether or not you ride the safety is a personal choice and people's grip more often than not is what affects the safeties used in Production division.