Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best factory load for Edge

BrianQ

I don't believe anyone can give you an answer, in that each pistol is different. Take two right of the line and they will be different. I suggest you buy 50/100 rounds of several brands and try them for yourself.

FWIW

Richard

I don't believe anyone can give you an answer, in that each pistol is different. Take two right of the line and they will be different. I suggest you buy 50/100 rounds of several brands and try them for yourself.

FWIW

Richard

I shot the 2007 Limited Nationals with an Edge and 165gr Win White box and had very good results. Felt just like my hand loads, but I was new to reloading so I wanted one less thing to worry about at my first nationals.:)

That's Jakes default also: 165 gr WWB. He says it always makes major.

I shoot Atlanta Arms .40 long (1.180 OAL) out of my Edge. They ship me a case for about $290 to the door. Gun loves it and I've never had a failure. If you have a local shop that carries AA ammo they'll probably want you to order through them (go on their website and do a store search) but I had issues with my local shops and they gave me an account of my own. If you find a local shop that carries AA you can order a couple boxes through them and try it out. If you call they might just send you a sample. Just tell them that you shoot competitively and can't count on the local guys. I'll be loading my own on short order but will probably end up buying one more case to bridge the gap while I'm dialing in the best recipe. Two day shipping is awesome if you find yourself in a pinch. Given that most guys load to 1.180- 1.20 for their Edge it makes sense to buy what it likes. Oh, and they load to make 170 PF so there's no worries about making major. It's cheaper than WWB from Walmart and loaded for your gun.

I have some freedom munitions 180gr ill be shooting on Saturday. This is the cheapest 40 i can find in the net. At 260 per 1000 shipped.

It's loaded at 1.125 oal I think. My reloads are 1.18.

Edited by Forgetful

Well I shot 300 rounds of freedom munitions today. No issues with my tuned 140mm. Only problem I had was round stuck on the feedramp using the slide release to load the first round out of a 126mm. But when I slingshot reloaded there was no issue. The 126mm are untuned, looking at the hang up I'm sure a tuned mag wouldn't have a issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Well I shot 300 rounds of freedom munitions today. No issues with my tuned 140mm. Only problem I had was round stuck on the feedramp using the slide release to load the first round out of a 126mm. But when I slingshot reloaded there was no issue. The 126mm are untuned, looking at the hang up I'm sure a tuned mag wouldn't have a issue.

are "tuned" mags that important? STI says they will run from factory or they will fix or replace them. Is there a percentage in how often an untuned mag will cause issues? I see a lot of conversations in regards to tuning mags. Have them done? Do it yourself? Don't worry about it?

are "tuned" mags that important? STI says they will run from factory or they will fix or replace them. Is there a percentage in how often an untuned mag will cause issues? I see a lot of conversations in regards to tuning mags. Have them done? Do it yourself? Don't worry about it?

Yes and no for importance. If you lighten your recoil spring (or other tweaks) it may cause FTfeed issues and cause you to "need" to tune your mags.

I've found when the 126 stock mags are loaded full and there's a lot if spring tension from the mag this can cause the issues, especially with short OAL rounds. It's pretty easy to tune yourself.

I have one stock 140mm with the grams followers. This mag ran 100% out of the box, no tuning at all.

Basically get grams guts and your favorite base pads and go from there on tuning if you need it or not. Some people have 5+ untuned mags and they run 100%. I think the 140mm run the best.