Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp bullet questions

MN45

Been loading for a while but still learning. I'm shooting a 1911 in uspsa and looking for some bullet advice.

What is most used and why?

Lead, plated or molly?

200g or 230g?

Rn or swc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

There are tons of people out there shooting lead through 1911's with no problems. The best bang for your buck will be lead, either 200gr SWC or 230gr RN.

The SWC bullet leaves a nice fat hole in paper targets compared to the round nose.

Some guns are picky when it comes to running the 200SWC, but most will eat them.

The 230RN are pretty much fail-proof for me, so I use them for USPSA when I shoot single stack.

RN for feeding purposes

For tons of live fire practice, you can't beat lead when it comes to cost.

Moly, Plated and Jacketed in that order as far as cost is concerned.

Bullet weight is user preference.

If you have a problem with the LSWC I would give black bullets international a try. They make a excelent 200 gr TRN and it seems to feed through anything I put it in and you get the big holes of a SWC. Plus the price is right.

• 1 month later...

You ask a tricky question. The question shouldn't be "what is used most" rather "what works the best for me".

The former is easy: 200gr and 230gr rule the roost. I believe 230gr is the most popular. I'm digging the for results from past SS Nats survey's but can't locate them ATM.

The latter is harder: It will require sessions as the bench and range to try and determine which load suits you best.

I prefer a nice steady "push" type recoil. So I go with 230gr RN. The RN seem to feed the best with most mag/gun combo's. SWC is a very challenging profile for the 1911. It just wasn't designed for that nose. I run them out of mine and 1000's of other do also with good results, but mine didn't at first (took a trip back to STI for that).

If at all possible garner some different samples from gun range partners and see what fits you best. (Don't you hate complicated answers to easy questions.)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using plated 200 gn bullets for several years after switching from lead because the lead seemed much dirtier in my 1911's. As for shape, 2 out of my 3 1911's won't feed the swc for anything, the other runs it just fine. I would recommend a round nose for feeding reliably in pretty much all pistols

I like the 230 grain bullet in the 45 better than the lighter pills because it seems to produce a more predictable recoil impulse in my guns with me shooting them. Some swear the SWC is more accurate but in this game it is just not that big of a difference.

230 cast coated lead bullet 4.0 grains Winchester Super Target at 1.25" oal for 800 fps

230 jacketed or plated over 4.0 grains clays at 1.25 oal for 795 fps

Storm lake barreled glock 21 4.6 inches long the super target load is just sweet...and super accurate. Clays is immeasurably cleaner than any other load out there.

You ask a tricky question. The question shouldn't be "what is used most" rather "what works the best for me".

The former is easy: 200gr and 230gr rule the roost. I believe 230gr is the most popular. I'm digging the for results from past SS Nats survey's but can't locate them ATM.

The latter is harder: It will require sessions as the bench and range to try and determine which load suits you best.

I prefer a nice steady "push" type recoil. So I go with 230gr RN.

+1

For years, I’ve also preferred the steady “push” of 230 gr. bullets but after a bit of testing last year, the timer and my scores tell me I prefer the 200 gr. bullets instead. :blink:

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...