Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger's Book

drivingit

I want to also say this is a great book. I have only been shooting matches since this summer, and reading this through I feel like I can put together my plan now for moving forward. I've read a couple of other books and so far this one seems to be the most straight forward and practical. It is really cool how it has a perspective from two separate shooters, but both agree it takes work to get "gooder".

I really like how the book focuses on getting better at being competitive, not giving me some magic bullet that will turn me into a Master level shooter. It takes some blood, sweat and effort. I totally appreciate that. The parts that I think will have the most impact on what I'll be doing are:

The 10 Drill That You Should Master

The 9 Misconceptions of Practical Shooting

Drill Categories and Their Use

It was great to see them make use of drills from other top competitors and then give me some input on why those drills will help me improve different parts of my game. I think this will help both my IDPA game in addition to USPSA.

A hard copy would be nice, but I'm pretty happy with the e-format as well.

Thanks!

Just finished the book. Here's some impressions from a fairly new shooter. Just started shooting a pistol in March. I am an engineer, so pretty methodical at deliberate practice and tracking improvements. I have shot just over 9,000 rounds since March and right at 45 hours of dry fire practice. Traveling out of state often for work gets in the way of steady practice many of my weeks. I have been following Seeklander's training program and just recently replaced his dry fire portion with Anderson's to change things up. I was able to shoot four major tournaments this year and usually shoot two local matches a month.

What I liked about the book:

• Easy to read and understand.
  • As mentioned by others - the drills contained PAR times as to what is possible. A simple concept, but you have to dig all over the web to figure out reasonable PAR times on drills.
  • Surprise at how efficient Ben's practice sessions were. Following Seeklander, I spend around 2 to 3 hours at the range including set-up and tear down. That has me skipping live fire quite a bit because I don't have enough daylight left after work.
  • The focus on accuracy. I am really starting to improve since I have added 25 yard group shooting a few months ago to each of my sessions.
  • There are some nuggets of wisdom that I hadn't read in any other books or on the forums.

Areas I thought could be improved:

• The book was short. The easy, conversational writing style had me wanting more.
  • I didn't really like the Mental Game section. Having read Bassham's book previously, I would have liked to understand what techniques Jay, Ben and other's at that level actually use all the time and have found useful for them (if any).
  • I know Ben mentioned a possible upcoming book on technique, but I would have liked to see a section on some of the areas where most people make mistakes in getting to a 1 second draw, 1 second reload, 0.2 sec transition, etc. I'm still not there and have been plateaued for months.

Overall a good, practical book that I will recommend to others.

Just finished the book. Here's some impressions from a fairly new shooter. Just started shooting a pistol in March. I am an engineer, so pretty methodical at deliberate practice and tracking improvements. I have shot just over 9,000 rounds since March and right at 45 hours of dry fire practice. Traveling out of state often for work gets in the way of steady practice many of my weeks. I have been following Seeklander's training program and just recently replaced his dry fire portion with Anderson's to change things up. I was able to shoot four major tournaments this year and usually shoot two local matches a month.

What I liked about the book:

• Easy to read and understand.
  • As mentioned by others - the drills contained PAR times as to what is possible. A simple concept, but you have to dig all over the web to figure out reasonable PAR times on drills.
  • Surprise at how efficient Ben's practice sessions were. Following Seeklander, I spend around 2 to 3 hours at the range including set-up and tear down. That has me skipping live fire quite a bit because I don't have enough daylight left after work.
  • The focus on accuracy. I am really starting to improve since I have added 25 yard group shooting a few months ago to each of my sessions.
  • There are some nuggets of wisdom that I hadn't read in any other books or on the forums.

Areas I thought could be improved:

• The book was short. The easy, conversational writing style had me wanting more.
  • I didn't really like the Mental Game section. Having read Bassham's book previously, I would have liked to understand what techniques Jay, Ben and other's at that level actually use all the time and have found useful for them (if any).
  • I know Ben mentioned a possible upcoming book on technique, but I would have liked to see a section on some of the areas where most people make mistakes in getting to a 1 second draw, 1 second reload, 0.2 sec transition, etc. I'm still not there and have been plateaued for months.

Overall a good, practical book that I will recommend to others.

Right on I wish I could have said this as eloquently as you did :)

• 5 years later...

Thanks for the link, I have almost read, it was interesting. Ha, now I guessed I will choose this book for my topic to essay, but anyway I have to ask the help  online essay writer for make it up with good vocabulary list and grammar, this is my main problem. But I hope after some years I could fix it and started writing by my own. 

And I see all of you guys like this book too. Glad that we have in common taste. 

By the way, can you advice me what to read??? Something with psychological sense? Will be very grateful!