Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger's Book

drivingit

After I could not stand watching election returns any longer last night,I downloaded the book, I went to bed to start reading this book. Read about 1/4 of it before shutting off the light for the night. Have to say that I am very favorably impressed with this book so far. It is NOT a how to shoot book, i.e. place your finger here, look here. It is a how to train to be a better shooter book. How to establish a training system/plan for yourself. Recommended drills on and off the range.How to maximize your training time. 10 recommended drills that have worked for the authors - each with a specific skill focus. I like it.

Mark K

If this book goes over well (it looks like it will, I guess a couple hundred copies were sold since last night) I want to work on a technique book. I am going to come at it from a different angle than what has come before. The book will also be about 3 times the lenth of the little one that just went out.

I was able to get thru the book last night, I thought is was very informative regarding how to train to see improvement. I think dry fire drills have been covered extensively by Anderson's book, as a new shooter I struggle how to spend my limited time and resources on live fire. The live fire practice routine is what I found most helpful.

I will admit when I got to the end of the book I was disappointed there was not more. Glad to hear your thinking about a book on technique!! The way this book was wriiten information, it was very easy to follow and written so all levels of shooters will benefit.

Any plans to put this in book form? My wife won't let borrow her kindle....

You can download the Kindle app to a PC, and read on your computer. Or to a Phone and read there. No excuse.

Mark K.

Edited by Mark K

In the world of the shooting sports there are 100's if not 1,000's of books, dvds, practice manuals, etc. Obviously some are better than others while some contain the same information just repeated with some personal touches added in by the author. A LOT of books and dvds can be complicated and vaguely get down to the brass tacks of what the reader is looking for. Champion Shooting starts right off by saying, this is a simplistic book with very direct examples for shooters who are looking to progress in their training or learn how to correctly train. The e-book is short and to the point but is dense with information. There are specific drills with specific benchmarks for the reader to incorporate into their training sessions. Many other instructors fail to break down how fast or slow each aspect of shooting should be when training. In Champion Shooting, each aspect, starting with the draw/first shot, reload, transitions and splits are given a specific goal time. This helps the reader actually learn where that precious time is being lost during match competitions. A 1/10th or 2/10th's on each of those aspects add up pretty quickly to separate good shooters from great shooters.

Also, the addition of drills from other great shooters such as Phil Strader, Frank Garcia, etc further drive home the ideology in this book that there is no one defined way to practice. This is covered in the chapter of designing your own drills. This is important because it explains to the reader that you are truly unique and the best way to constantly learn and progress is to keep an open mind to what other shooters are doing and learn from that.

The "week in the life" chapter goes over what a typical training schedule is comprised of for both authors (Ben and Jay). Many will be surprised to learn that a National Champion uses simple to the point drills and courses of fire to effectively train. It also demonstrates that you do not need to shoot a pallet of ammunition a week in order to improve. Stoeger is a regular middle class American on a shooting budget that loads the same ammo on the same kind of press that the majority of people do but is separated by the efficiency of time, proper training, knowing his strengths and weaknesses and how to train to improve them. This is what this book is mainly about. It will give you the proper training tools and instructions on how to best use them. It is up to you if you choose to.

Any plans to put this in book form? My wife won't let borrow her kindle....

You can download the Kindle app to a PC, and read on your computer. Or to a Phone and read there. No excuse.

Mark K.

I found the android app and just downloaded it to my tablet. Looks good so far.

Thanks Ben, I will be on the look out.

Im a believer of your shooting

I just finished reading your range diary yesterday. I did it in 3 consecutive days from page 1 to 58 so at least I have a glimpse of how you do things.

You are GOOD! Im impressed by your attitude, not relying much on talent but more on hard work.

And your down to earth (BRUTAL?) honesty :) Tact and Honesty does not mix well most of the time haha!

Edited by BoyGlock

I finished the "book" in a couple of hours..

I wish it had a bit more personal insight.

The book feels more like an essay than a book.

Kind of like hey.. Here are some drills..

If you can achieve this scores you'll be ok..

Peace out, thanks for the cash :)

I hope the next one has a lilte more meat to it. :D

The drills are descent..

And clearly explained..

The bench mark times are usefull, and are the one thing that this book offers, that others don't.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Cheers,

Los

I finished the "book" in a couple of hours..

I wish it had a bit more personal insight.

The book feels more like an essay than a book.

Kind of like hey.. Here are some drills..

If you can achieve this scores you'll be ok..

Peace out, thanks for the cash :)

I hope the next one has a lilte more meat to it. :D

The drills are descent..

And clearly explained..

The bench mark times are usefull, and are the one thing that this book offers, that others don't.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Cheers,

Los

I'll do better next time

I want to also say this is a great book. I have only been shooting matches since this summer, and reading this through I feel like I can put together my plan now for moving forward. I've read a couple of other books and so far this one seems to be the most straight forward and practical. It is really cool how it has a perspective from two separate shooters, but both agree it takes work to get "gooder".

I really like how the book focuses on getting better at being competitive, not giving me some magic bullet that will turn me into a Master level shooter. It takes some blood, sweat and effort. I totally appreciate that. The parts that I think will have the most impact on what I'll be doing are:

The 10 Drill That You Should Master

The 9 Misconceptions of Practical Shooting

Drill Categories and Their Use

It was great to see them make use of drills from other top competitors and then give me some input on why those drills will help me improve different parts of my game. I think this will help both my IDPA game in addition to USPSA.

A hard copy would be nice, but I'm pretty happy with the e-format as well.