Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about 147gr load

airborne101

First time reloading loaded up some hornady 147gr jhp with 3.2 TG oal 1.10 . No chrono yet. They fire fine in my m&p but didn't shoot as soft as I thought they would. They felt the same as the factory 147 loads I have been shooting that are advertised to shoot 1050. What should I change to get thies down to 850-900 :eatdrink:

My Hodgdon book shows that your load of 3.2 gr of TG is the starting load and should be around 855 fps. So you are already at your desired velocity, or very close.

Are you looking for a particular velocity or feel?

Either way, I think you ought to have a chronograph. Otherwise you're sort of just shooting in the dark. (pun intended)

I was expecting recoil to be much lighter but didn't feel much different.

Two thoughts:

1. Your powder charge may not be accurate - might go back & double check

you're not really throwing a higher load - you should be able to feel

the difference between pf 155 and pf 125

2. you definitely need to spend $70 on a Chrony - best insurance there is.

:cheers:

I find TiteGroup to be loud, and produce more recoil than other powders. The 3.4 grain WSF load I mentioned in an earlier post produces 875-880 from my 4.25 M&P 9mm with just about any 147 grain jacketed bullet. I only need 851 fps to make 125 PF.

I've played with a number of 147 9mm loads and this is the softest I can find that makes PF.

I find TiteGroup to be loud, and produce more recoil than other powders. The 3.4 grain WSF load I mentioned in an earlier post produces 875-880 from my 4.25 M&P 9mm with just about any 147 grain jacketed bullet. I only need 851 fps to make 125 PF.

I've played with a number of 147 9mm loads and this is the softest I can find that makes PF.

Personally I have learned the hard way that hoovering just above PF is not a good thing. You will find your groups at 25 yards and beyond to be like 00 buck shot. I tend to stick at 135 PF and above for all my loads. Take a hint from Dave Sevigney, his Atlanta Arms 147 loads are 940 FPS, 139 PF.

My personal favorite load is a Bear Creek Moly coated 135 RN with 4.0 WST at 1.150 OAL, very clean, accurate and recoil is very manageable out of both my G34 and STI Spartan 9mm.

I also load the BC Moly 147g FPTC with 3.6 WST at 1.130 OAL a little softer.

Edited by Boxerglocker

I'm afraid I can't agree with "hoovering just above PF is not a good thing"... "you'll find groups at 25 yards and beyond to be like 00 buckshot".

The 3.4-3.5 grain/147 WSF load - in my M&P 9mm and CZ 85B - groups in the 2.5-inch range at 25 yards, which is more than enough for USPSA/IDPA, and about as well as I can shoot, and about as well as any of the inexpensive factory loads I have tested in those guns. Of course, those are my guns. Other guns may vary.

One will have to test to see what works in their guns, but in my experience (IDPA SSP/MA & ESP/EX) a 147 grain bullet at 880 fps can produce more than adequate accuracy.

I'm afraid I can't agree with "hoovering just above PF is not a good thing"... "you'll find groups at 25 yards and beyond to be like 00 buckshot".

The 3.4-3.5 grain/147 WSF load - in my M&P 9mm and CZ 85B - groups in the 2.5-inch range at 25 yards, which is more than enough for USPSA/IDPA, and about as well as I can shoot, and about as well as any of the inexpensive factory loads I have tested in those guns. Of course, those are my guns. Other guns may vary.

One will have to test to see what works in their guns, but in my experience (IDPA SSP/MA & ESP/EX) a 147 grain bullet at 880 fps can produce more than adequate accuracy.

We can all agree to disagree my friend... As I stated "Personally I have learned..."

I first say I do not appreciate a super soft though legal load, I prefer a faster slide and snapping of the sights. Different guns, different bullets all take into factor. I make my assessments based on my choices and my guns, you do with yours.

I know as a fact that a load using my components at 880 fps loaded fro my primary gun (G34) would be hard pressed to make the same in my back-up G19 dependent on the conditions.

Gentlemen can always agree to disagree, and remain gentlemen :) I shoot far more IDPA than USPSA, so I don't have to worry about making PF from the gun I'm shooting. But, I can understand that being a concern in USPSA, and savvy shooters would choose their loads accordingly.

What powder would have softest recoil. :eatdrink:

Reading the posts for the past five years, it seems to be

a consensus that N320 gives "the softes recoil". :cheers:

I've never tried it (trying to use up my 16 year old supply of

WW231, which is not bad.

At least one semi-scientific test reinforces that, check the graph about half way down the page(Click me!). It's a good example of a the difference in felt recoil from faster to slower powders. Also a wonderful source of information.

I personally have about 7 pounds of an 8 lb get of Titegroup to use up before I try N320... but it's on the to do list.

One thing to consider when you go from a supersonic commercial loads with a 110gr bullet @ 150PF to a subsonic homebrewed load with a 147gr bullet @ 135PF, is the fact that the kinetic energy is about one third less. Do the math, you will see.

You are not going to be happy until you dial the recoil spring down to where it cycles without hitting too mean and hard.

I am just getting started on this journey myself. I am planning to start with Precision Delta 147gr FMJ bullets and N320 powder (new for me, I have not used it before). The OAL I am planning to start with is 1.160. The gun is a1911, 5" barrel, 10lb recoil spring. My goal is to get to a PF of around 135. I have read everything I could find and a powder charge of 3.6 to 3.8 gets guys to the 135 PF. I plan to start with 3.5 and see what the chono tells me. I am at 5500 feet above sea level so we'll see what I get for a PF.

Looking for feedback on this setup. Thanks guys !!

Went to the range and the 1.160 length was no problem for the mags and the accuracy was very good. I ended up with 3.6gr loaded up to take and it came in at a PF of 132. Tried 3.4 also and it had a PF of 128 and felt sluggish the loads with a 132 pf felt great. Had 124 gr bullets at a 130 PF and I like the feel of the 147 gr bullet. Next time out I will see how it does shooting controled pairs and Bill drills.

Edited by GoinHot