Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun Rig - Open Division, what am I missing?

Tactica

I'm new to 3-gun and just put together a rig. I have limited time at this point, but if there's something I've got wrong, I'd like to correct it before my first match on Saturday if I can. Attached is a photo of the rig.

I'm running:

Ottocomp 9mm Open STI frame / caspian slide pistol

Predator Tactical AR-15 .223 rifle

Firebird Precision Akdal MKA 1919 12-ga shotgun

Thank you in advance for any constructive feedback,

post-30551-0-60900500-1352162654_thumb.j

Edited by Tactica

Eku,

I haven't used it in a match yet. However, I picked it specifically for 3-gun, so I hope it pans out. It has both a tension knob as well as a trigger guard lock. So, you can use one or both as needed in a match. With both enabled, I can go prone and run around with confidence... well, at least in the backyard and basement testing...

Those akdal mags are going to be all over the place. I made some kydex clips that hook over my belt and attach to the mags down on the bottom. They can't come off the belt. Yours are going to give you some trouble, I'm afraid.

Comments about the Akdal mags understood. I just don't know what I can do to elivate the concern... moreover, I don't know what I can do between now and Saturday! Suggestions welcome...

The only thing that's really come to mind is an over the belt slide on / off clip... something like they use on the Siaga mags. I'm not sure where those come from. Carolina shooting supply... or R&R perhaps...

I have a total of 45 shots available to me in magazines for the Akdal. I have one set of coupled 10-rnd Firebird mags. I'm assuming I'll start with that in the gun. I have no way to carry that mag confidently on my person.

That leaves either two 10s on the belt, or a 10 and a 5 round mag to go in the belt as needed. If it's a short shotgun but heavy rifle for some reason, I can also swap out one shotgun mag for a Rifle mag.

I've done some practice running with the Akdal mags in the belt. I was able to run around and go prone and get up without them falling out. However, all of my testing was with unloaded mags so far as I just got the rig set up two days ago. Last night was a really late night at work... so, hope to test movement with the belt and loaded mags tonight.

In USPSA, there are occasions where forced mag changes are required... I didn't know how much of that would be required in 3-gun, so went with 3 mag pouches for pistol... perhaps 3 is overkill.

I bought kydex from knife kits.com and made my own clips.

Cut a strip 12" long by 3" wide. Heat it up and bend it over long ways. I inserted a wood block about the thickness of my belt at the top where it folds over and a piece of cardboard between the two pieces of heated kydex where they wouldn't melt together.

I used 3m foam tape to attach it to the mag on the bottom. They just hang in my belt and come off very easily.

Now that's an excellent idea latech15. Essentially, that's the same thing the R&R Targets are selling for 7 bucks. However, their solution comes with the 3m industrial strength high bond tape and theirs are already molded and cut... but yeah, same idea. I already got ahold of Robert Wright at R&R, so I have 3 of their mag clips on the way (interesting choice of label btw).

I have used the Saiga mags on a buddies Saiga. I think that will be the most reliable way to go.

Once again, thanks guys,

I tried their clips an they work well, mine has a slight indentions on the outside to hold on to the belt a little stronger. The saiga one is more of a triangle. Never had that one come off, mine is just a tad better. I'll post a pic tonight.

I use a Ghost Holster and have not had a problem. I was nervous about it when I first went to open but my fears are gone now.

I gun 1 spare rifle mag on my belt I carry 1 saiga mag generally and 2 pistol mags. The Saiga mag and the rifle mag are generally not needed as I run high cap mags in the AR or a mag coupler. For the Saiga the 20 round mag in the gun usually covers it or two coupled 12s on the gun.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I use a Ghost Holster and have not had a problem. I was nervous about it when I first went to open but my fears are gone now.

I gun 1 spare rifle mag on my belt I carry 1 saiga mag generally and 2 pistol mags. The Saiga mag and the rifle mag are generally not needed as I run high cap mags in the AR or a mag coupler. For the Saiga the 20 round mag in the gun usually covers it or two coupled 12s on the gun.

Pat

Pat, very helpful to understand what folks run in open since I've not been to a 3-gun match yet. Thank you for sharing.

Pat

+1

I run the same setup. My only difference is I run a Double Alpha Race Master holster. I like it because it's small, light, very adjustable & the locking mechanism is very secure. No way for your pistol to come out when its locked. You will break the holster or pistol before it comes out while being locked. Ask me how I know. Good thing about Open is you don't need a lot of real estate on your belt. So the mags you carry usually are only needed if you have malfunctions. Good luck!

OK, a few more 'newb' questions... sorry...

So in 3-gun, do you always start with guns loaded or mags sitting right by the gun? I ask because of concensus seems to be that in Open: 'the mags on belt are really only backup'. Perhaps I was falsely assuming that I would have to initially load the gun from my belt... like I do in USPSA.

Also, are there forced mag changes on stages with a particular firearm as is seen in other action pistol sports? Like X amount of shots from right side of barricade, mandatory reload, then Y amount of shots from left side of barricade?

Assuming my 'Mag Clips' from R&R show up by Friday, I can have those mounted on the Firebird Precision mags. That will allow me to reduce the safariland holders all together and replace the space with 'clipped on' mag shotgun mags as needed. I have a coupled 20 round shotgun, 2x 10-rnd and a 5 round. So, I think I have a plan for the shotty.

Sounds like I should eliminate one of the pistol mag pouches as I've got overkill there.

Finally, I noticed when shooting my rifle that the surefire mag and the 30-rnd p-mag would bottom out on the bench when using my bipod. I've heard about the coupled P-mags. Any of the rifle mag couplers better than the others?

Cheers,

For the pistol there really isnt a set answer of how the gun starts. some can be on the belt in holster loaded, unloaded others it could be staged either loaded or unloaded. In 3 gun I have never seen a mandatory reload required in a match. I would run the holster locked unless its a draw and shoot stage.

If your bottoming out the bipod looks like you need longer legs. For open the bipod is more stable than 2 coupled mags monopod(some matches this isnt allowed). I have one monopod setup for tac iron which has the arredondo rounded bottoms on the mag for a better monopod.

All matches are different. I have seen videos of the Stag and Noveske team constantly chambering a round after they draw like they were trained in Israel. But I am sure the answer is some matches may have stages with a chamber empty pistol start. I have seen gun starts from tables with the mag out of the gun on the table or on your belt. Only rarely have I seen mandatory reloads and those were on standards stages in USPSA multigun matches.

For magazine couplers I am partial to the Springer Precision Firebird coupler for P mags. The off side reload mag round does not walk with P mags and the Firebird coupler has a nice wide foot print. If your bi pod is bottoming out get a taller one.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have been wearing my 3Gun rig around the house trying to get use to the weight. I may need to make some changes. Watching the 3GN show, you never see mag changes, just shotgun reloads. So the 3 AR mags (thigh carrier) and 3 pistols mags (on belt) may need to be whittled down.

Watching some of the 2012 3GN shows, I wonder if all the "pistol holstered, mag seated, chamber empty" starts are a safety thing. That way anyone losing a pistol may be DQ's, but the dropped pistol is empty.....