Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which CZ to get

DRobson

I'm in the market for a new pistol and after shooting a 75 Shadow I'm hooked on the CZ. I know nothing about CZ's so I want to make sure I buy something good the first time. Right now I'm leaning towards the Shadow T from cz custom. Is there anything else I should consider as well. This will end up being used for production and maybe just maybe idpa ssp. Thanks for any help.

SP01 Shadow and 75 Shadow is what I would recommend.

If looking at USPSA only, the SP01 Shadow would be perfect.

if going to try both USPSA and IDPA SSP, the 75 Shadow T fits the bill. Just had one go out of the shop with wood grips and 18rnd mags weigh in at 38.5 ounces.

The SP01 can make weight for IDPA, but takes some switching of parts.

With an unlimited budget, there are basically two base choices for USPSA Production:

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

CZ 75 Shadow

If you aren't really concerned with IDPA, then the choice is a matter of personal preference for full-length dustcover (and a heavier gun) versus a short dustcover (and a lighter gun). If you really do want to run in IDPA, though, you really are stuck with the 75 Shadow; the SP-01 Shadow is difficult to get to make weight. BTW, I would think most running safety-equipped CZs in IDPA would tend to shoot ESP, given that (a) you can just run SA the whole time and (B) you have a higher maximum weight for a 75 (SP-01 still has to make SSP weight due to the dustcover).

Beyond the SP-01 versus 75 distinction - in particular with regards to IDPA - the rest of it comes down to what you personally prefer. The "T" or "Target" variants are simply milled for adjustable sights; some people like to have adjustability, others of us prefer the simplicity of fixed sights. The rest of the options on the pistol can always be mixed-and-matched if you are ordering direct from a place like CZC.

Stu, you should feel like a proud papa whose son (or daughter) just knocked in the winning run! The gun the OP was shooting is the 75 Shadow you built for me. Only took one short trip at the range to bring another convert over to the darkside :)

Also looking at buying my first CZ. i am thinking the 75 Shadow T is the one i am going to go for and have eerw do the trigger work before it leaves the shop.

That's exactly what i'm in the process of doing now. I should have my Shadow T sometime next week. By the way, Stuart made the process easy and on top of that he is a great guy to do business with.

I recommend the Tactical Sport - magnificent pistol as delivered from the factory.

Also a tremendous value.

Some feel the grip i s a bit large, but i feel the SPO-1 is too narrow.

Add a magazine well or adjustable sights if you wish, but the trigger is the best I have ever sampled.

SP01 and SP01 shadow are my choices for production. 75 shadow is cosher in SSP. 75 shadow will play in both sports. You could lighten SP01 and SP01 shadow so that it could be SSP legal but most of the guys drop that idea and just get 75 shadow. I'm temporarily dropping IDPA shooting next year. I have a 75 custom shadow that i'm selling. PM me if interested.

Picked up the Shadow T today. I haven't even shot it yet but the trigger is amazing. Less than 2 weeks to get the Shadow and have it worked over by Stuart is also a huge plus.

Well, that didn't take long! Welcome to the addiction. Was on the phone with Stuart last week about picking up a CZ carry gun to keep my 75 shadow company.

As many have said before, Stuart and CZC are super to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkh

I recommend the Tactical Sport - magnificent pistol as delivered from the factory.

Also a tremendous value.

Some feel the grip i s a bit large, but i feel the SPO-1 is too narrow.

Add a magazine well or adjustable sights if you wish, but the trigger is the best I have ever sampled.

This isn't on the USPSA Production list is it??

Eric

• 2 weeks later...