Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips on Accurizing my AR

silverphoenix

I'm shooting an AR15 with a 20" AR performance melonited barrel. Heavy profile, rifle length gas system. I'm using a set-screw gas block.

Samson Evo Free Floated 19" rail (15"+4" extension)

Spikes tactical upper receiver and BCG.

Using this upper on a Noveske gen 2 lower with magpul ACS. SPikes battle trigger, PWS buffer tube.

Optic is a vortex viper PST 1x4

Any improvements I can make towards accuracy?

The trigger for sure. That Spike's Battle Trigger is just a mil-spec trigger that has been nickel boron coated. Get yourself one of the quality aftermarket triggers out there. I am partial to the Geissele triggers, and I am sure everyone will have their own preference :).

I think the barrel has both--it is a heavy barrel with the larger threads normally found on a .308.

I've looked at other aftermarket triggers, but I definitely want a single stage and I want to keep it under $100. I had a Geissele SD3G trigger and sold it because I didn't like it

Edited by silverphoenix

$100.00 and a "good" single stage trigger just does'nt go together. Add another $100.00 and get a JP installed correctly.

+2

You can get a benny hill comp, ar gold trigger, and switch out to Jp's LMOS.

Most importantly, buy more ammo and shoot because quality trigger time should be included in the equation somewhere.

How accurate is your current set up?

(a 3 to 5 shot group size at 100 yards fired from a stable bench rest would be a good baseline for comparison.)

What type of ammo are you using?

What is the twist rate of your barrel?

If you are shooting 55 grain FMJ I can guarantee smaller groups when you go to quality ammo with a Hollow Point or Soft Point bullet.

(a 3 to 5 shot group size at 100 yards fired from a stable bench rest would be a good baseline for comparison.)

If you are shooting 55 grain FMJ I can guarantee smaller groups when you go to quality ammo with a Hollow Point or Soft Point bullet.

I haven't measured the accuracy yet--just got the scope yesterday.

I'm using wolf 62 grain hollow points because that's all I can afford to shoot a decent amount of. (I'm saving $100 per 1000)

Twist rate is a 1 in 8 out of a .223 wylde

I'm using wolf 62 grain hollow points because that's all I can afford to shoot a decent amount of. (I'm saving $100 per 1000)

I dont know much about reloading or ammo data but I do know WOLF ammo and accurate do not belong in the same sentence. That is just from watching/observing my friends shooting russian ammo. I would start accurizing your AR with better ammo?

How much are you paying per 1000 for that wolf ammo?

If you are having accuracy issues that is your first thing to get rid of. All of the wolf stuff that I have shot has been terribly inconsistent. If that's all your shooting you will never see really tight groups. I'm sure if you look around you can find someone that will sell much better quality ammo for under 300 per 1000. Maybe look into group buys on ammo. It looks like your at Texas A&M. I don't know any smaller ammo manufactures in college station but something like that might be your best bet. It also looks like you are shooting with a school club. If that is the case I imagine that if done at the club level you might be able to get a discount from someone.

I just got a better idea for cheaper ammo. I looks like you shoot with the tamu 3gun club. It also look like if is a nice official club with the school. Yall already have other sponsors but I didn't see any ammo sponsors, I would think that would be the first sponsor I would have looked for. Someone at the club should know how to go about looking for spenders but that would really help.

Just a though, and it would help all of the other tamu 3gun people as well.

I'm getting Wolf ammo for about 21-22 cents per round, so maybe $210 per 1000. $100 more is tough to afford.

We don't have any ammo sponsors yet, but we've been trying to get something going with freedom munitions for a while now--hopefully things will go through with that soon; we sure do need the help.

I have never been able to get any wolf ammo to shoot. Multiple ARs and .223 bolt guns. The bullets, even the HP are not closed base bullets, the jackets are very very thick. I thought i would try some on gophers and save some money; they did not shoot well at all and they act like a fmj when they hit a gopher.

The first thing you need is GOOD ammo with high qualty bullets. Wolf is the crappiest ammo on the market. It is underpowered and uses cheap components. It is plinking, not precision ammo. There's nothing wrong with using it, but there is simply nothing precision about it. Try some Black Hills or Federal GMM.

The second, i think, is the scope. If you're trying to hit a small target that is far away, a 4x (I assume you meant 1-4, not 1x4, as you probably couldn't see through a 4mm scope tube) isn't enough. If you're on a budget, a fixed 10x is the way to go.

People have mentioned the trigger, which will have no bearing on the mechancial accuracy of your rifle but will make it much easier for you to shoot accurately. I second the Geissele comments. For $100, the RRA 2 stage isn't bad, but it's not a Geissele either.

But, I would also submit that if you're skimping on ammo, you're not seriously concerned about accuracy. Ammo is #1, or maybe #2 behind a good barrel. You will never have a gun that even shoots 2 inches at 100 yards without quality bullets.