Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AppleScript Help

benos

Long ago, I used to be able to write simple AppleScripts (to back a folder, for example).

Now I need to write a script to backup a folder, but I don't have the time to spend to re-learn the codding. (And I don't have the old scrips to use as an example.)

So if anyone knows how to write a simple script for me, I would hugely appreciate it.

be

I found an example googling, but when I translate the example to my computer's heirarchy, the compiler returns an error: "expected 'end' or 'end tell' but found of."

It's the "of" with "- -" around it.

tell application "Finder"

duplicate folder "Office 2011 Idenities" of folder "Microsoft User Data" of folder "Documents" of folder "owner" of folder "Users"

-of- startup disk to disk "Maxtor_200" with replacing

end tell

I had the Applescripts duplicated with Automater, but when I went from Tiger to Snow Leopard, those scripts stopped working. So I trashed them... then when I reopened Automater to recreate the scripts, that re-learning curve looked like it would be longer than AppleScrripts. :D

Carbon Copy Cloner, which I use to backup everything, except the "Office 2011 Identies" folder) won't work, because for whatever stupid reason, the "modified date" of the folder only changes about once every 10 days. So that folder must be manually backed up every day.

And Time Machines a loser because it doesn't create a bootable backup.