Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inspecting Brass

ncxdm

So just trying to see how people are inspecting pistol brass. I pickup a fair amount of range brass I think most of it once fired. I usually glance at it before I tumble and then look at it closer after I separate it from the media. Does that compare well with what others are doing? I am wondering if I am obscuring any warning signs by tumbling before really looking through stuff.

I usually check brass in all stages of loading. First I deprime on a Lee single stage, check brass. Second, I check the brass when drying with a towel after a SS tumble. Third, I check the brass when I lube them for their ride down the casefeeder. And, lastly I check each loaded round as I wipe off the lube. Seems like a prolonged procedure, but I am retired and enjoy most all the stages of reloading. Time doesn't seem as important now.

I don't bother to inspect before I tumble. Dirt and powder fouling can hide imperfections and they're easier to see once the brass is cleaned. I do inspect at each loading stage... but the critical inspection is immediately after deprime/resize. That's when most cracks (in my experience) happen and are most evident.

I look them over after tumbling. I ran into a bad lot of once fired brass that had some 10mm brass in it (loading for 40s&w) and I was trying to catch all them before they went into my reloading brass bin.

I catch as many cracked cases by the way they sound as I do visually. After tumbling I usually put the cases in a bucket and cascade the rounds from one hand to another a couple of times. If I head a "thunk" instead of a bell like "tinkle" I know there is a cracked case in there somewhere.

(BTW - when handling tumbled clean brass be aware that any of the media dust still clinging to the cases can contain high levels of lead, so don't drink/smoke/eat and wash hands after handling.)

• 2 months later...

<-- Bad OCD. I am one of those that actually separates and reloads brass based on same manufacturer. I also pick up range brass..so

• 1st check - separate and sort (caliber & manufacturer) range brass
  • 2nd check - after cleaning
  • 3rd check - while case lubing
  • 4th check - after round complete, I case gauge and measure for OAL for each round ...

VERY time consuming, but for me it removes as much 'doubt' as possible.

• 1 month later...

I inspect before the loading process. However, it is very important to inspect afer as well, Just loading the brass puts stress on it. And if the brass is on it's last leg, sometimes it splits or ruptures DURing the loading process.

I'm with Bamboo, I usually catch most cracked cases by sound. They definitely make a distinctive ding. Either while picking them up or while cleaning, sorting or lubing. I usually sort my 9mm to take out any crimped brass and separate S&B since they seem to be a little tighter than others.

I loaded some today that I didn't sort through since I picked it up after practice. I found two that made it to the press with cracked sides. They didn't split all the way to the case mouth so I didn't catch them by sound, but saw them on the press after the bullet seating.

Only spend time on 9mm, after cleaning stand them up on a table to look inside for berdan primers trash in the case, splits, chigger bites or any other problem. It's also a good time to spot .380's or Super 38's that worked their way into the tumbler. Use a pencile to move them around on the table.

When I pick them up from the table look for military cases, smaller case volume and any other case that's crimped. These get chunked.

9mm can be harder to load because of tapered wall and brass coming from all over the world. Once inspected put them in a Rubbermade 18 qt dishpan to be lubed then into a five gallon bucket. Pick from that bucket when I'm ready to load on a 650.

I'm to deaf to hear slight noises so I don't hear cracked cases. I try and seperate small and large 45's when I pick them up. 45's and 40's go through the shaker trays then I'll roll them in a box or plastic tray to look for problems. Try and catch stuck cases at the shaker trays. Super 38 I sort brass from nickle but that just me.

Nine takes a little while to inspect but runs a lot better in the loading session, shooting range brass from both indoor and outside.

Ok, I'll play !

1. Sort by caliber

2. Tumble each caliber in walnut for 10/15 minutes to remove dirt, etc.

3. deprime and size

4. stainless pin each caliber ( done after accumulating enough of a caliber to make worthwhile)

5. Tumble in corncob with NuFinish for 2 or three hours

6. Prime what ever planned to load

7. Load - with out depriming pin in size die