Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KJ Works KP-06

PKT1106

Anyone have any experience with this airsoft trainer for USPSA training? Looking at getting something for the winter months and this seems to be the closest thing to my Edge I can find.

CO2 vs Green Gas?

6" trainer vs 5" real gun?

Comments & thoughts appreciated.

I have an airsoft Limited gun that I shoot for practice on occassion. Most of the time I shoot lizards off of the fence from my 2nd floor deck (small target). I have two magazines that use CO2 cartridges and one green gas mag. The CO2 mags are much more consistant shot to shot than the green gas mags. The CO2 cartridges are cheaper if you shop around and buy them in the larger bulk packages.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Update- After looking at all the options, I decided to pick up the KP-06 from Evike. Should be here sometime next week. I looked at the CQB Master, but didn't see a CO2 specific offering like the KP-06. Plan is to practice transitions and movement in the garage during the winter months.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure. First off, I bought this particular airsoft pistol because of the CO2 cartridge compatibility. None of the other guns I looked at had a specific CO2 offering. I know there are ways to make it CO2 with some different valves and oils, but I didn't want to mess with all that. Also, the only offering that I could find that was as close to my STI as possible (in my opinion) was in this 6" model. My USPSA gun is a 5" Edge. My thoughts were to use this airsoft for target transition practice, reload practice and general manipulation after the draw as I do not have a 6" holster.

The gun is all metal constuction, but is still very light. The slide is very light on the recoil and it is easy to rack with 2 fingers (which can lull you into a false sense of strength needed to rack the slide if you don't practice with your real gun as well). The gun came with a mag and I bought another magazine so I can practice reloading during training sessions. These are a bit different than STI mags, but still maintain most of the weight as a full STI mag due to the CO2 cartridge. They feel like 126mm mags, but with the size of the magwell, they seem ok to practice with.

The sights that are stock from the factory have a wide front fiber optic and the basic rear fiber optic. The wide front is very different if you are used to a narrow front on your real gun. Takes a little getting used to, but not too bad after a few indexes. You have a 6" for a 3gun rig, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find the sights.

The thumb saftey is very narrow, so you have to make sure you get your thimb on it.

The grip feels just the same as an STI grip, same general dimensions and length. Easy to get the same grip on both the airsoft and the Edge.

As far as shooting the airsoft, the recoil is very mild and may throw you off on re-aquisition of targets when shooting with the real thing. The airsoft is very easy to keep on target between shots compared to the real thing.

Overall, I find its a good training aid, but shouldn't be done too much as the weight, feel and recoil are vastly different. I like it so far. The gun is solid and CO2 cartridges are abundant at sporting good stores and Walmart as well as the airsoft pellets.

I have the same model though on my box it shows GBB-616. It does run pretty well on Green Gas but uses a lot of it. The stock mag went south pretty quickly. I had a couple of TM mags that worked.

I have not found a holster that will work with it yet so I get a lot of practice at table starts. I have shaved some time off my table starts and that can't be a bad thing. I tried it in my ghost holster and it won't go in deep enough to engage. When I get some time I will see if I can take some material off the front of the trigger guard and make it fit.

Almost 100% of my time with the gun is working on seeing the sights faster and transitions from one position to the next. I am only shooting steel (BAM Airsoft knock down targets) at this point. I set them up at at least 15 feet or take them on the move so I have to get on the sights. In matches I see a vast improvment in my steel shooting. I was having trouble looking at the steel and not my sights on steel for a while. That is gone.

I am going to try and find a CO2 mag or two as on Green Gas it is a bit of a PITA as I have to warm up the mags a lot.

I only shoot steel so I don't get used to being able to shoot the 2nd shot so fast because of the zero recoil. I try to work on seeing the sight on every target, target transitions, movement and shooting on the move. It is so easy to go shoot a hundred rounds and quit. I find myself with 15 extra minutes in the morning before work and I can shoot 4 mags and quit. I can't see it hurting.