Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate

iconoclast

Hello all,

Can any members comment on the trigger action of the czechmate, factory TS, and TS with competition hammer and straight trigger.

I have an unmodified TS and am very pleased with its smooth, light single-stage trigger (overall, the best of any pistol I have fired [including Sig X5 L1, SW 945, CZ SPO-1 with custom shop SAO 2-stage trigger, etc...)

Also, how do the factory TS sights compare with the czechmate's adjustable model? I LOVE the factory TS sight; non-adjustable, but wide aperture and thin blade make for a clear sight picture.

Thank you.

Can any members comment on the trigger action of the czechmate, factory TS, and TS with competition hammer and straight trigger.

I have an unmodified TS and am very pleased with its smooth, light single-stage trigger (overall, the best of any pistol I have fired [including Sig X5 L1, SW 945, CZ SPO-1 with custom shop SAO 2-stage trigger, etc...)

Can't comment on the differences between the TS and Czechmate, but I can comment on the difference between the stock trigger vs the comp hammer. Had the comp hammer installed along with a trigger job. I did stick with the original trigger (dealer didn't have the straight trigger in stock) and the feel is simply amazing. Very light pull, very crisp. Went from a 1,1 kg (2.4 lbs) trigger pull to 570 g (1.2 lbs).

I have to see if I can get to try out a TS with a straight trigger and see how it feels. For now, I kind of like the feel of the original, slight more curved trigger.

For me, the only noticable difference between the two is the relief under the trigger guard and beavertail on the CzeckMate. This allows a higher grip...which I prefer. I plan to have this done to the TS .40 asap. Don't know how a competition hammer would change things. Both triggers are very crisp...which is more important to me.

Really. A one-pound trigger! Wow!!

A-G

I polished the stock hammer/sear and my trigger breaks clean at one pound, four ounces. I probably would have bought the race hammer if CZ Custom had any in stock, but now I don't see a reason to change.

When I bought my TS, I was very close to getting a Czechmate with a 40 upper fit from CZ Custom, but damn! nearly $4k to end up with CMore mount I don't want, a sub par magwell, and two 20rnd mags I don't want...

I decided to slow down a bit, get the TS and now I'm playing around building a poor man's Czechmate with the slide from Iconoclast's SP01 slide. It's been fun.

Really. A one-pound trigger! Wow!!

Last I checked, my TS was around 1.6#.

Mine has the comp hammer and flat trigger with an action job from CZC.

CZ needs to ditch the Czechmate - particularly with including all of those superfluous parts - and come out with a true Open gun, built around the true Open caliber: .38SC. :devil:

Kneeling Atlas,

I'm glad to hear you are having fun with it.

Many times, the building is as much fun as the shooting - hence my interest in Glocks as well (sooo much simpler than CZs - I don't have the courage yet to detail strip or modify my trigger yet).

Good luck!

I polished the stock hammer/sear and my trigger breaks clean at one pound, four ounces. I probably would have bought the race hammer if CZ Custom had any in stock, but now I don't see a reason to change.

When I bought my TS, I was very close to getting a Czechmate with a 40 upper fit from CZ Custom, but damn! nearly $4k to end up with CMore mount I don't want, a sub par magwell, and two 20rnd mags I don't want...

I decided to slow down a bit, get the TS and now I'm playing around building a poor man's Czechmate with the slide from Iconoclast's SP01 slide. It's been fun.

I agree.

I sold my Glock 17 a couple of years after I originally purchased it because of its poor ergonomics, horrible sights, and pathetic trigger.

Later, i revisited the platform in 17L form. After some modifications (Vanek trigger, SJC magazine well, rubber overgrips, LPA target sights) it is substantially improved but still lacking something.

I gave the CCF steel raceframe a try but was still disappointed - though the heavy frame did mitigate recoil, the trigger was worse than the stock Glock.

I have done more experimentation with the Glock trigger and ergonomics and am gradually warming to the grip angle (IF magazine well and overgrips are installed); however, the trigger is incorrigible and still more irksome after sampling a TS trigger.....

Still, threaded barrel, compensators, and holographic sight mounts are only a telephone call away (LWD)....

The Glock format is temptingly simple and available, but I just can't get past the ergonomics; for the sexy lines of the CZ I'm willing to thread my own barrel.

• 2 weeks later...
CZ needs to ditch the Czechmate - particularly with including all of those superfluous parts

+1 on that!

- and come out with a true Open gun, built around the true Open caliber: .38SC.

Are you thinking one based on a 97B (basiacally a fat grip Gold Team), or something totally new???

• 2 months later...

8000 rounds minor, 2000 rounds major , the czechmate barrel foot is broken......

Is it not a short life ?

I know CZ Canada has about 20 guns broken on the bench. All Czechmates.

2 acquaintances of mine have been without their guns for 6 months and so far, no word. No refund. Nothing.

PPoor of Cz.

I loved the trigger on my TS. Problem is, I just shoot the Glock better because of practice. Glock triggers remind me of revo triggers. There is a similarity there that I like. Still though that TS trigger and good accuracy make for some crazy shots. That gun was really fun in that regard. No shot was intimidating tight or far.

8000 rounds minor, 2000 rounds major , the czechmate barrel foot is broken......

Is it not a short life ?

2 acquaintances of mine have been without their guns for 6 months and so far, no word. No refund. Nothing.

PPoor of Cz.

Do you know What parts are failing on the Czechmates and why? I have one and I am curious.

Is it not a short life ?

PPoor of Cz.

Do you know What parts are failing on the Czechmates and why? I have one and I am curious.

For the most part it boils down to 2 distinct items.

1. Barrel Underlug tearing off.

2. Lockup rings in the barrel peening over and jamming the gun solid.

Odd thing is, the design of the CZ makes the slide release the 'fuse'... if anything falls out of timing, the pin should shear as per the design of the gun.

But this is not happening for the vast majority.

Odd thing is, the design of the CZ makes the slide release the 'fuse'... if anything falls out of timing, the pin should shear as per the design of the gun.

Those problems sound very, very similar to the issues Tanfoglio had with the first edition of their V12 guns. Almost all had the locking lugs rolling over. They ended up redesigning the top end. One of the problems was the weight of the comp was messing with the timing of gun. On the second generation and with the replacement top ends they used for warranty work they reduced the weight of the comp and modified the profile of the underlug, maybe some other stuff too.

Those problems sound very, very similar to the issues Tanfoglio had with the first edition of their V12 guns. Almost all had the locking lugs rolling over. They ended up redesigning the top end. One of the problems was the weight of the comp was messing with the timing of gun. On the second generation and with the replacement top ends they used for warranty work they reduced the weight of the comp and modified the profile of the underlug, maybe some other stuff too.

I have a Tanfoglio Limited Custom on my bench... my PERSONAL gun, that rolled the lugs in under 6000 rounds... which is why I went to an STI... this is the SECOND time that a Tanfo has done this to me, I have yet to pursue warranty, but I could not leave the line until we cleared the gun... not impressed at all.

I would be interested to see how many of those with broken barrel lugs were using stainless steel guide rods and how many were using the plastic factory one?

I know the factory buffers cause problems with the short slide stroke, but it seems to me the plastic head of the stock guide rod provides some buffering action as well. Perhaps stock buffer could be used reliably with a few coils clipped off the recoil spring, has anyone tried this?

I'm thinking that's what I'll try before I shoot my 9major top end too much.

There seems to be several variables/factors being questioned in this thread.

First, after reading the reports of sheared under lugs, peened lock up lugs, etc. I immediately disassembled both my TS and my CzechMate. I closely examined them under magnification. After perhaps four thousand rounds through each (9 Major in the CM and .40 Major in the TS) I cannot find any evidence of peening, fissures, undo (or uneven) wear in either. The evidence (or lack thereof) would suggest that the timing is spot on. Now, CZ did provide three (3) fitted barrels with the CM...SN xxxx, xxxxA, and xxxxB...and it makes me wonder if this is this an indication that the factory thinks there might be a problem and is just trying to get ahead of the power curve? Whatever...it ain't broke now and I hope it stays that way.

Second, both weapons have stainless steel guide rods. The TS has a buffer and the CM does not. I've used buffers since I started this game...and I'm older than dirt. Read that as going on 75. I did not...and do not...use them to protect the frame: I use them to shorten the stroke to the max and decrease the recovery time to go back in battery. (I used to have good splits, but, now, I've slowed to the point that it really doesn't matter. However, it's an old habit/technique that I've never tried to break.) There is one other contributing factor that makes it a little more difficult with the CZ's. The ejector is on the sear frame...you can't just buy an extended ejector to adjust to the shortened stroke. It, basically, is the limiting factor in playing with the spring/buffer/length of stroke. With that being said, my TS has a buffer and the 11-pound spring was reduced by one-and a quarter coils. It works fine.

And last, I've never thought of the slide release shaft as being a "fuse." Again, the factory supplied three with each of the weapons. Another indication that the factory is trying to get ahead of problem without fixing it? Don't know...but I think I'll always take a spare with me.

A-G

BTW, the TS has a Cajun Gun Works hammer and sear if that matters.

Edited by All-Gator

• 4 years later...

Newly accepted Checkmate (1K rds factory 115, 124gr american eagles) set up only in the Limited configuration,(no comp, no C-more) first 2 times at range.

1. Trigger: I am new to SAs for formal training and deliberate training vs. informal and merely rounds downrange. All my serious experience is with issued DA/SA Sigs and personal striker fired Glocks. What a difference, and I now know what all you 191/SA guys have been bragging about all these years. This is my first full sized, all steel SA pistol

2. Glock 17: Average splits with consistent hits I was at .21 - .23 hits on steel@7yd. Fast for me was .18-.20 with hits.

Checkmate: Immediately out of the package and with no familiarization I was able to get .16 -.18. I did manage to squeak out some .14-.15s with

hits. At .14 I was going as fast   as I could and hoping for hits. The sweet spot for me and the checkmate seemed to be at the .16 splits, faster and

I was unable to call the shot, slower and it felt I had too precise of a sight picture and could let er' rip alittle faster. 

* it was a hit or miss drill and not a zone hit oriented drill. 

3. Trigger comments: I'm new to SA triggers, new to timer drills, competition/structured orientated drills, and definitely new to the upper echelon class of pistols so take it as a grain of salt. I am outclassed with this pistol. There is a small amount of side to side movement, a tad bit "wobbly" not sure if this is normal or insignificant but its there. May need to get an over sized trigger fitted to alleviate? Also, the over travel screw seems small...mushy? Maybe it needs to be a slightly larger diameter? Better screw or different metal?? Not sure how to describe but seems like it could be better refined, perhaps I suck and am over squeezing due to inexperience with a good SA trigger. I do feel that it could be crisper or something as simple as adjusting the screw a gnats leg more. Mine came with a straight face with a curve at the bottom. I have seen pics of a full curve, full flat, and the "hybrid" version.

Edited by buckyjames1