Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning your AR rifle

Camocam813

At the last 3-gun shoot there was a guy and i swear his rifle didn't budge when he shot it. He did have a brake, but commented that his gun was perfectly tuned with the gastube/block, or some mumbo jumbo that i did not pick up on. Are there things that you can do to make your gun run smoother, less jump. I have installed a decent brake that helps some, but nothing like this guys gun.

Most of what you saw came from technique, skill as it were.

However you can tune your AR using things like low mass bolt carriers and adjustable gas blocks, playing with buffer weights, muzzle brakes and ammo selection.

If you have a working AR with a brake and a good trigger, I would spend my coin on AMMO and Practice.

"it ain't the camera that takes great photos"

But wait a few minutes and you'll have a bunch of part recommendations.

Correct, shoot it until you need to re-barrel it and then worry about all the fancy stuff.

Take some classes with quality instructors. Practice what they teach you.

If you don't have a muzzle brake then get one. It will help more than any of the fancy low mass parts.

If you don't have a muzzle brake then get one. It will help more than any of the fancy low mass parts.

A good comp, with a COMPLETE (not only one or two pieces) tuned low-mass op system such as the one from JP makes a significant difference in felt recoil and muzzle control. Chances are good the guy you saw had his rifle set up this way.

All good advice here, training and practice are excellent ways to improve your shooting and gun handling skills. But let's not kid ourselves, the right equipment makes a difference.

Perhaps I don't qualify as "one of the good guys" but I don't run a low mass carrier nor adjustable gas.

In my "limited" experience it really comes down to balancing the tool to fit and suit the user.

Yes, please do what many of us have done and buy and try all the various parts. Then test and see what WORKS for you.

While I doubt any will admit it, but sometimes we justify our purchases and fall into group speak buy "sharing" with others that parts

X, Y and Z are crucial to success.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

P.E. Kelley knows what he is talking about. Shooting more will develop your baseline so when you do make equipment changes you will know if they are beneficial or not. New equipment feels different, which is often confused for better :devil:

On the flip side of the coin, for most of us this is a hobby. Hobbies will always lose you money until you get into the business side of it to save $$$ and then it becomes work :surprise:

I was talking with one of my customers about hobbies, we came to the conclusion a hobby will usually lose you money but you have fun learning and participating. Play is the best way to learn something. It is a fun interactive way to learn and as far as I'm concerned you lose a lot less money building and playing with firearms then building cars, motorcycles and stereos. Build and spend whatever you can afford just make sure you are enjoying it.

YMMV

:cheers: or :eatdrink: or :yawn:

Racing motocross I learned that the difference between an amateur and a pro was in part, the pro knew how to set up their bikes; which shocks worked best for them on which settings, ets. On my first .223 with every shot I had to bring the barrel back down, when I added a good comp I pretty much stayed right on target saving bout 1/2 second or more on each second shot. Had about the same experience learning to set up a gold cup 45; better trigger made all the difference in the world and the same experience with an IMSA Porsche. It's one thing to buy a race car, but learning to set it up for the track your running is night and day. In skeet, a Beretta or Browning will only take you so far. They are good shotguns, and a blast to shoot, but as good as they are, there not a K80 or Perazzi no matter how you cut it.

The other part of being a pro was the intense practice and physical and mental conditioning. Neither learning to setup or practice can be left out of a winning combination from what I have experienced.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Perhaps I don't qualify as "one of the good guys" but I don't run a low mass carrier nor adjustable gas.

In my "limited" experience it really comes down to balancing the tool to fit and suit the user.

Yes, please do what many of us have done and buy and try all the various parts. Then test and see what WORKS for you.

While I doubt any will admit it, but sometimes we justify our purchases and fall into group speak buy "sharing" with others that parts

X, Y and Z are crucial to success.

Pat,

You have it all wrong! It's all about the widgets!

I remember seeing Robbie at a match in the late 80's or early 90's, with a package in his hand that he bought at one of the vendors that were set up. He held up the ziploc bag and said " A titanium hammer strut, it's just what I need to be really good!" Look where that titanium hammer strut took Rob Leatham to. :roflol:

*The match was the Miller Invitational, held in Fulton, N.Y. This was back when vendors attended matches and sold stuff there. I know, I was one of them.*

Thanks Dan! I'm going to slap the SRI Titanium RaptorBrake on my AR and win some matches next year! No more diet, no more dry fire and no boring practice this winter. If you were a true friend, you would have told me the Titanium secret years ago. :roflol:

No wonder my 10mm made me look better than I was woulda never made B without that strut hidden in Hals gun ! :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Now about putting Ti in my AR,... maybe a Cam Pin or firing pin retainer ? :cheers:

Edited by Amerflyer48

People who are winning have any 2 of the following:

...........Talent.........

Practice...........Equipment

Occasionally someone comes along who has all three. They are pretty much unbeatable until someone else with all 3 shows up.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Thanks Dan! I'm going to slap the SRI Titanium RaptorBrake on my AR and win some matches next year! No more diet, no more dry fire and no boring practice this winter. If you were a true friend, you would have told me the Titanium secret years ago. :roflol:

dont do it, mark...actually, i'll trade you some pinwheels for it :cheers:haha

Edited by dukduk

When you can't shoot good, you have to at least try to look good.

Benny,

That is the exact reasoning of some people I've known over the years!

Let's be honest, most of us shoot because we enjoy it enjoy the competition, even though we know we won't be at the top of the pile, and, we enjoy the company of like minded people.

I'll travel most of the distance of the continetal U.S. to shoot, and importantly spend time with friends. God knows, I suck at shooting when the big dogs are there. :roflol:

I took a shooting class from Leatham back in '88, but he didn't mention that titanium hammer strut. It's obvious now that, although he took my money, he was holding back on his secrets to success! He was afraid his students would beat him! I'll show him now. I'll get one of those hammer struts and install it in my Glock! It's taken 24 years, but now that I know his secret I'll show him who's the shooter! :D

Colt 6720R Talo LNIB.....what are your first mods?!

Cameron, Alaskapopo said a few months ago that his rifle

accidentally doubled & BOTH shots hit a 6" plate at

300 yards :surprise:

I'd find out how Alaskapopo did it - sounds perfect to me. :cheers:

130 yards not 300.

Pat

Colt 6720R Talo LNIB.....what are your first mods?!

Cameron, Alaskapopo said a few months ago that his rifle

accidentally doubled & BOTH shots hit a 6" plate at

300 yards :surprise:

I'd find out how Alaskapopo did it - sounds perfect to me. :cheers:

130 yards not 300.

Pat

I heard it was 600 yards and a 4" plate :surprise:

Edited by Sleepswithdogs