Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lightening cuts

Ultimo-Hombre

I hardly ever see glocks that have been to jenny craig. Most 2011's I see have been though. I will interested to see what info turns up here.

every 34, 35, and 24?

Come from the factory jenny craiged lol.

Edited by mattwaage

What are the recoil spring rate considerations when modifying glock slide with lightening cuts or drilling to remove mass? I am aware of the effects of decreased slide mass on recoil but would like some intel on sprin rates

What gun are you planning to do this to?

Am thinking of doing this to a 34 or 35, no real plans just kicking around some ideas to keep the glock interesting. I have seen some hi speed rigs with lightening work, zev tech and lone wolf both offer the service so beyond just spending money I don't have on stuff I don't need there must be some merit to it. Honestly I don't see why a guy couldn't put the slide into the hands of a decent machine guy local and mill some 3/8 holes in the sides! As far as what kind of loads I mostly compete steel so just generic 4gn titegroup behind 124s. Yeah boring.

What division are you wanting to shoot with this type of gun? With non factory cuts in your slide, you would only be legal in open/limited/lim 10. I would do a search around for a gunsmith near you who would do this kind of work. I would agree with you on just finding a local machinist, but I would prefer a gunsmith if it were me and my rig.

I would say that if he has a mill, and you have trust in his abilities, then go that route. I think that coffin cuts take off the most weight with a 34/35 slide personally, but louvre cuts are nice as well. Theres a thread here titled "Limited/Lim 10 Glocks" and I've posted some fairly good pics of examples.

You may need to grind off the factory coating & then re-finish after the mill work is done. I wouldn't recommend taking any HSS milling bits to it as is. JMHO. I had a cracked slide that I use to sharpen my knives on that the tenifer would do a pretty good job on.

Kelley. That is a sharp looking piece! What else was done to that slide besides the side window cuts. Looks like the corners are beveled too. Also, is that the silicone carbide grip treatment? I have always run Dawson grip tape really like the sandpaper feel. Not a fan of stippling, but that silicone carbide looks like a permanent solution I wouldn't have to reapply each month.

the more mass you take off the slide the more you need to tune the recoil spring rate down.

I've had to go down to a 11 lb spring for some of our more radical cuts on our 34 slides.

However for Pats 17L (it will be #3) we're going to try to get the slide to weigh less that a 19 stock glock slide.

Photos to come . . . after I get mine first.

It is a ZEV slide not a reworked Glock slide, so every cut is custom.

The grip is TruGrip (grip tape) that lasts and lasts, but the 17L will be a complete ZEV gun with the 100 Grit carbide.

What are you planning with the 17L?

Limited Minor?

You know we're going to want to see some pix... :)