Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Idea for ESP and possibly Limited

Suicycle

I am about to put one of my single stack pistols on the block to fund a build and I am just kicking ideas around. My main game is IDPA and usually just beat on plastic in SSP. This year I took a class and got a bunch of stones and fixtures and love to build the 1911 so now I need a double stack. I know I will get a bushing gun instead of a bull barrel and I plan on the standard frame, but may be tempted into the tactical if the dust cover is not too long. I know it is longer than standard length, but it is not a full length, so that would be a grey area in my mind. Or would a full length that was cut back half an inch not be a full length dust cover? What extra lentgh would pass inspection? Also I have planned to build a 9mm and just shoot minor when I slum in USPSA or I could run production with the 34's I have like normal. I am not fully convinced to build a 40 just to make major and run it minor most of it's life in IDPA. I am just looking to get a frame/slide fit and will be doing the rest. Any guidance is welcome.

I THINK the STI Tactical dust cover has been called "extended" and disallowed by IDPA. Search here and the IDPA board to be sure.

There is SPECULATION that IDPA will eventually have a dust cover length limit like USPSA SS which is 3.25" from the slide stop.

I would not assemble anything out of the ordinary until the Tiger Teams have made their pronouncements and new rules are published.

If I wanted to get started on something right away, it would look a lot like an Eagle 5.1. In fact I have such a gun for IDPA ESP with .45 Minor.

You will be unbeleivably happy with your project! I chose the std frame for my 9mm ESP/3-gun pistol build.

If you haven't already chosen all your parts, may I suggest:

KKM .355 bushing barrel chambered for 9x19

Ed Brown bushing, grip safety and wide ambi thumb safety - all stainless

Wilson Bullet Proof slide stop and pin/spring set - all stainless

Colt stainless 9mm extractor

Dawson Precision adjustable rear and .100 wide fiber optic front sights

C&S fire control group

Dawson Tuned mags with spacers

Grip color and configuration that suits you. I like to show off a bit :rolleyes:

Hard Chrome by AP&W

This is without a doubt the finest and most accurate pistol I have ever owned!

MME_4130.jpg

If I was building a gun for IDPA I would follow Jim Watson's advice and not go out of the 'ordinary' until the Tiger Teams finish with the rules revision. You might wind up building a AWESOME gun that is now not legal. Best to wait.

Good advice, I kind of expected the Tactical length to be a nogo area but was unsure and also the 40 since I don't load for it yet doesn't make sense in that area either. I am just unfamiliar with the platform to know if it is easier to get a ramped 9mm running or a ramped 40 runnin and feeding. Mike's build is what got me thinking about shooting ESP. C&S ignition system is what I use and I normally run Kart barrels but would like to try a stainless at some point, and not have to wait 4 months for delivery on it. Standard length dust cover not wide is what I will go with and 9mm bushing style slide. You pretty much spec'd out what I had in mind with the only problem is I am going back to black front sights and what brand of barrel. I will check out KKM though on their delivery times and build specs, although Nowlin was my first thought when quick delivery and stainless came to mind.

I will check out KKM though on their delivery times and build specs, although Nowlin was my first thought when quick delivery and stainless came to mind.

I used a Nowlin barrel in an almost identical build in 40 cal about 10 years ago. They make fine barrels and I loved that gun too. The KKM has emerged as the most accurate 9mm barrel around today and that was why I used it. Others are plenty accurate, I just wanted all I could get.

• 3 weeks later...

While I shoot a Trojan in ESP, I do have several 2011 format pistols but not in nine yet. Eagle or on built up as an Eagle is the way to go. Quicker reloads putting a narrow width mag in a huge mag well. The five inch pistols either 9 or 40 tend to point and recoil recover better than long dust cover guns. A built gun should group just a little better than stock but stock Eagles aren't bad. The ability to tune these pistols to the load your shooting and your grip is the plus. Just a little time spent with a shooting friend, a timer and a handfull of springs will improve your times.

Going to IPSC just purchase a few 140 mags and you have a 21 round limited pistol that scores well if you shoot a's and a few c's.

Some 2011 40 pistols won't run well on stock lenght ammo not loading yet that can be an issue. Helped a friend who's an avid IDPA guy into a custom Edge in 9mm to shoot local ipsc matches. He say's it like cheating and is fond of his new shooter. Went 9mm because he doesn't want to reload.

Good way to go as you can compete in both games, it's all about having fun!

We have a guy that shoots down loaded 40 in ESP / SSP with a G35. He does well with it. Likes the bigger holes AND bullets are 20%-25% heavyer so min PF velocity is that much slower. If you reload, 40 minor can be a real gamer load. :goof:

For one gun to shoot both games you have to make some kind of compromoise. A 9mm "Eagle" is no compromise gun in IDPA but has some big scoring compromises in USPSA. A 40 cal "Eagle" in IDPA forces you to reload for minor PF but otherwise is a no compromise IDPA gun and it will have fewer / less compromises in USPSA.

You can use the 9mm minor PF handicap in USPSA as a forcing function to get better hits which will also pay off in IDPA. I've been known to shoot SS Minor for that reason.

So, where do you want to make the compromises?

Which every way you go, using the same gun / platform in both games is better than switch back and forth. You'll improve more, faster IMHO.

For one gun to shoot both games you have to make some kind of compromoise.

Which every way you go, using the same gun / platform in both games is better than switch back and forth. You'll improve more, faster IMHO.

You don't have to compromise. As Jason pointed out, with an SV you can have the same pistol and swap out breech face, barrel and a few other small parts and shoot in both games, several classes and have a pistol that won't put you at a disadvantage.

Even with fixed breech faces it's not too hard to build one for both. Like my ESP/open pistol I built.

sticom.jpg

openshort.jpg