Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon SDB Wave Bearing Replacement

I'm surprised I can't find this anywhere on the 'net. I think I need to replace the wave bearings (white corner guides) on my Dillon Square Deal B and not sure the most efficient way to get to them. I know my way around the machine, but don't want to disassemble a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be taken apart. Anyone know the best way to get into those and replace them? I know I can send it to Dillon (or drop it off), but I have a major match next weekend and there is a chance I can fix it by disassembling and cleaning - at least I can look and see if it really is the wave bearings.

Thanks, JIM

That makes sense - thanks. Any other tips welcome.

It started to stick badly over the course of only the last 15 rounds (out of 100 I loaded last night). Since it happened so rapidly, I am thinking it is not a problem with the wave bearings (unless something became crushed) but something getting jammed in there. Still, I need to get in there and look.

THX

JIM

I did call Dillon before they closed today and the tech advised me to unbolt the arms to see if the stickiness was just the picvot points on the arms and it is not - they move freely. He also suggested that maybe the main pin that the arm pivots on below the ram might be sticking but it isn't -- that swings freely. The stickiness seems to be on the sides of the square ram. The wave bushings are faily new (maybe 3000 rds). I definately need to get the ram out, but I have the arm disconnected and the whole shell plate off and can't find the "brass bolt in the frame that indexes the plate" as Ssanders224 suggests. Something (that bolt apparently) is keeping the ram from sliding out the bottom. I don't see an exposed bolt to do anything with. If I can get the ram out I'm sure I can see what is sticking. Any help on how to complete the dissassembly? I'd like to try to get it fixed this weekend or at least know what to ask Dillon for on Monday.

Thanks, JIM

Is your press bolted to a bench? If so, you'll have to un bolt it. The "bolt" is on the back of the press frame, it will be inaccessible if the press is bolted to to the edge of a bench.

Aaaahhh. OK. Thanks, I'll get it off the bench and get to it.

JIM

• 1 year later...

Good input here. Just broke my shell plate bolt trying too hard to prime some .45 brass...have to remove the ram and still out the other half of the shell plate bolt. I was trying to read the manual and interpret the schematic to see what over-travel bolt needed to be removed.I didn't realize it was on the back. Thanks for the tip!

Yep, that did the trick - part #14014 for those that need a reference. Easier to take the ram out than I expected (this coming from a desk jockey that's more used to figuring out computers than precision machining equipment). There was one a small bolt+plastic cap+bent washer+spring on the front that popped off (the overtravel block according to the parts list). I put it back together per the schematic in the manual, but I have no clue what that piece does in the big picture. Everything else looks pretty straight-forward. I'm actually glad I got to take it apart and better understand the moving parts!

PLUS I called Dillon and the are sending a replacement shellplate bolt to me...for FREE! I still don't know how they can afford to do that.