Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double vision and eye training

G19

I shoot with both eyes open. I notice that as the target distance increases, I experience increasingly more of a double vision effect, where the images received by my eyes are slightly offset from each other, leaving me a little confused as to whether my sight is on the target or not.

1. Is there anything I can do to relieve this confusion when shooting with both eyes open?

2. Is there any downside to shooting with just my dominant eye open?

3. I am right-handed and my right eye is my dominant eye. But for some reason, I have a very difficult time closing my left eye and leaving my right eye open (the converse - closing my right eye and leaving the left wide open is easy). Even when I can manage to leave my right eye partially open with my left eye closed, I have very little ability to move the right eye around (e.g., scanning left/right, up/down) without opening the left eye (if I hold my left eye closed using my hand, my right eye can move around freely). Are there techniques I can practice to get my right eye to be more 'independent' of my left eye?

Put a piece of scotch tape on the upper part of the "offending" eye.

I am left eye dominant but right handed. I put tape on the upper/inner part my left lense. I can still use the eye for peripheral vision, and I can keep both eyes open. The tape just blocks out the second ghost image of the gun. I put the tape on the inside of the lens. On a tinted lens people won't even know its there. Doesn't look funny.

I shoot better when my pistol is aligned with the same side eye. Some people can bring the gun over to the left.

Gotta find what works for you. Eyes are very personal.

Edited by JaeOne3345

Welcome to the forums. There are many posts here on eye dominance but I'd like to address your double image complaint. Your eyes can only focus on one thing at a time. If you hold your finger up at arms length in front of a target at 25 ft(example distance) and focus on the finger,the target is double. Focus on the target and the finger is double. An exercise you can do is to focus back and forth between two distances. Put up a letter chart on the wall and hold another at arms length. Focus back and forth. Make sure you get the image clear before moving back. The faster you get the more comfortable it becomes.