Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Olympic Snatch v draw/reloads, etc

Aglifter

An Olympic snatch is the fastest human movement recorded, to my knowledge, and, if it takes a second, things have gone wrong, (I think .5 to .75 s is more typical. I think .5 is a target time) and it is more physically complex than any draw.

I realize some of the draw is the reaction time to the beeper, I think about .1 to .2s. (I tried something a local GM mentioned - draw and aim the gun, then fire as soon as you hear the beep.)

So, maybe instead of worrying about getting our hands closer, etc we should be looking more at biomechanics.

I think this is one of the few legitimate applications of fine vs. gross motor skills in terms of gun handling.

We're using the largest muscle groups in our body to do a snatch, but all we have for our draw is our biceps, shoulders, forearms etc.

I'm not sure you can say it's more physically complex. Drawing a pistol is a fine motor skill that requires pinpoint accuracy to get to the gun and hand-eye coordination to bring it into your index.

I think if you look at it as a lever size vs. distance traveled problem it would begin to even out... But that's just my opinion.

Donovan, if you think the draw is on par with the snatch for physical complexity, my guess is you've never snatched before. ;) The snatch does indeed require pinpoint accuracy, among many many other things. A quarter inch either way is more than enough to results in a missed lift.

I agree that looking towards bio-mechanics to improve your shooting is a very good idea, but I don't know that comparing the time of getting under the bar in a snatch to the time of drawing a pistol is comparing apples to apples.

Edited by Jake Di Vita