Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro Accuracy

Bob Hostetter

Got the 9L today, only had time to fire 1 mag through it, but I was stacking shots after the 1st 4 (took me a bit to get used to the hinged trigger) after that I had a great group. Seems like I got lucky and got one with a good barrel. That was only at 7yds though, will get some distance in the next time I shoot and see how she does.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are barking up the wrong tree. Fundamentally, this pistol was not conceived to be a 2" gun.

You need a high dollar 1911 or something. Although, if you put a few hundred dollars, and get lucky, you might get 2" out of a M&P.

+1

I haven't put enough rounds through my new M&P9 Pro to start changing too many things, but I have noticed that factory 124 gr. ammo seems to group better than 115 gr. or 147 gr. in my gun at IDPA/USPSA distances from a solid rest. All 3 loads easily stayed in the -0/A zone at 20 yds. Reloads are still a work in progress.

Jim

• 1 month later...

How does out of the box accuracy with the .40 Pro compare to the 9 Pro? My 9 Pro is passable but I shoot other pistols more accurately. I like the M&P ergonomics.

I'm thinking of building a .40 Limited pistol and passing my 9 Pro to my kid. I'm trying to decide if I want to stick with the M&P platform or get a G35.

Roy, my 40 M&P shoots better than my 9 did (I'm a Bullseye shooter too) and I have no complaints. Maybe not on par with dedicated BE gear, but at least as well as needed for any target seen in our game. I REALLY like the M&P for the ergonomics and my scores wouldn't improve if the 40 were more accurate. A 40 M&P is the best I've found at this point.

YMMV, of course.

Mark

The 9Pros have have been the ones with accuracy issues. The 4.25 9mms, .40s and .45s all have good accuracy. I went from Glock to the M&P platform and have been very happy with the switch.

The 9Pros have have been the ones with accuracy issues. The 4.25 9mms, .40s and .45s all have good accuracy for me only. I went from Glock to the M&P platform and have been very happy with the switch.

There I fixed it for you. Not all 4.25 9mms have good accuracy. None of the 4.25s (3 total) that I owned could keep 10 shots on a sheet of paper at 25 yards.

The 9Pros have have been the ones with accuracy issues. The 4.25 9mms, .40s and .45s all have good accuracy for me only. I went from Glock to the M&P platform and have been very happy with the switch.

There I fixed it for you. Not all 4.25 9mms have good accuracy. None of the 4.25s (3 total) that I owned could keep 10 shots on a sheet of paper at 25 yards.

What recoil and striker springs were you using in your 4.25's?

Actually, I meant what I said. The Ransom rest don't lie. Even the Pros kept 10 shots on a piece of paper for the most part.

• 8 months later...
I would have your gun fired by a GM or other "expert" not your friend or fellow range mate to remove the operator from the equation. I just spent a week with SEAL T6 weapons instructors and Bill Rogers shooting over a dozen MP9's. In capable hands the MP's shoot -1". Ever gun these guns shot the Sigs, MP's, Glocks, 1911's, and a few others they all shot at, or less than, 1" regardless of ammo or set up.

You can always send it to Bill Rogers or Dawson or visit Manny Bragg or one of several others. Then, and only then, will you know without a doubt. You also can maybe even try a KKM and see if it really makes a difference for you. The cost of the KKM is cheap and if you find that you shoot the same you can always sell it for what you paid for it to the next guy who thinks he can buy tighter groups. Buy the KKM but that said, I'm confident that your OEM barrel will shoot 2" or less with the factory barrel in good condition. I'm now convinced, more than ever, it is more the indian than the arrow in most of the cases.

I'd consider the fact that the Indians shot around 1" using a decent 1911 loaded with 45ACP and did the same thing with a Beretta 92-series and a CZ 75-series at 25 yards.

I have never been a Glock fan. Lately, I am more and more convinced that, if 9mm is the cartridge in question, Glock has mastered a consistently accurate plastic gun more than S&W. I thought this was a myth until I shot it myself. And, you do not need to get a G34, even the regular vanilla G17 produced a close pattern group at 25 yards. Yes, Glock ergo is no where near the M&P but they are more accurate at longer distances.

Edited by Art Yeo

I have a M&P Pro C.O.R.E. with a trijicon RMR red dot. It has a KKN 5" barrel and was gunsmith fitted. I had installe a Salient Internationa custom trigger. This will shoot 2" at 25 yards.

I also have several 1911 and 2011 pistols. Those that were bought as production guns all need smith work and things done for performance. So, I would say give it a try. The trigger is M&P biggest issue. Fix that and get a KKN barrel and shoot.

JMHO :roflol:

The CORE, and the newer M&Ps 9mms have a significantly faster twist rate on the barrels. This is resulted in a significant increase in accuracy.

Recall that PK put a beautiful crown on my stock M&P barrel, but it did not improve accuracy.

This thread reminds me of a young man that once said his gun just wouldn't shoot right. His father took the pistol and proceeded to obliterate the x ring at 25 yards. I have kept my father's lesson in the front of my mind when accuracy testing any firearm. I have seen imperfect arrows, but far more often I have seen, in my own reflection, an imperfect archer.

Bone stock 2009 vintage M&P Pro (9mm) at 15 yards...... The gun is far more accurate than I am. I have a new 2013 vintage Pro that is just about as good.....

ph265oto.jpg

Like I have said many times, at close range, almost all of the 9mm guns shoots about the same.

Try it at 25 yards.

At 25 yards or further, you will see which brands produce a more consistent product.
Edited by Art Yeo

This thread reminds me of a young man that once said his gun just wouldn't shoot right. His father took the pistol and proceeded to obliterate the x ring at 25 yards. I have kept my father's lesson in the front of my mind when accuracy testing any firearm. I have seen imperfect arrows, but far more often I have seen, in my own reflection, an imperfect archer.

I am not trying to argue it all the way here so bear with me.

Using the Indian/Bow allegory again, if the bow-and-arrow is only accurate in the hands of a GM or a SEAL Weapon Instructor, they should advertise it that way.

That way, let all who recognize themselves as mere mortals can avoid such products and gravitate towards products made for mortals.

Fortunately, I have competed in IDPA myself, gone through the military and met & talked with experts before. So, I am not exactly pulling things out from my derriere.

The CORE, and the newer M&Ps 9mms have a significantly faster twist rate on the barrels. This is resulted in a significant increase in accuracy.

That's an interesting factoid. Did S&W release the numbers for the latest twist-rate?

Was this only changed for the M&P9 or also for the M&P40 ?

I've got nine S&W .38/.357 revolvers across three frame sizes, plus my 2008 production M&P FS 9x19. All use the same rate of twist. All of them stay under 2" at 25 yards. There are apparently a few M&P 9s that shoot poorly out there, but it's not due to the rate of twist. My guess is that S&W just had a bad batch of barrels.

I've got nine S&W .38/.357 revolvers across three frame sizes, plus my 2008 production M&P FS 9x19. All use the same rate of twist. All of them stay under 2" at 25 yards. There are apparently a few M&P 9s that shoot poorly out there, but it's not due to the rate of twist. My guess is that S&W just had a bad batch of barrels.

Show me the spec sheets that give the twist on those, because that is not what S&W says..

Edited by MarkCO