Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BULGE BUSTER?

jonb.

Gonna invest in either a bulge buster or a GRX redding die for my glocked brass. Is it possible to run either of these dies on a dillon 550 using a separate tool head or am I going to have to invest in a single stage press no matter what. By the way I am doing this because my Lee U die is not cutting it.

U-dies Suck Dead Bears, only about 20% effective and they make the effort to reload harder 100% of the time. The only good thing about them is the decapping pin is tough but expensive to replace.

I used the GRX after the U-Dies failed miserably to solve the Fat Brass syndrome. You may want to consider the Lee cheapie single stage it came free with the Lee Reloading Book I bought, I used it with the GRX and I also use it for .223 case prep. I think it sells for about $25.00.

I use a CasePro now, but they are hard to come buy and way expensive.

I shouldn't tell you this but once I got lazy I only ran the drop check failures thru the GRX after I loaded them. Extreme caution here. And I do the same in the case pro, it rolls the loaded ones just as easy as non loaded. As a precaution I send them back thru the crimp station.

Ive got a EGW udie in .40 with ~7000 rds and I cant imagine how anyone loads range pickup brass without it. Out of a 1000 I will get 10 or so that wont pass gauge. I only case gauge for majors and even the ones that I reject run fine in practice.

Of the one's that don't pass they are almost always "glocked".

If the EGW die doesn't size it right the brass needs tossed.

I would give up my case feeder before I gave up my U-die.

Edited by OUshooter

Ive got a EGW udie in .40 with ~7000 rds and I cant imagine how anyone loads range pickup brass without it. Out of a 1000 I will get 10 or so that wont pass gauge. I only case gauge for majors and even the ones that I reject run fine in practice.

Of the one's that don't pass they are almost always "glocked".

If the EGW die doesn't size it right the brass needs tossed.

I would give up my case feeder before I gave up my U-die.

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG THAT 10% of my Brass will not pass case gauge I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING SHORT OF CHANGING MY PRESS

The U DIE is allowing the brass to pass gauge after the sizing station but by the time I have seated and crimped the magical bulge reappears at the base of my loaded ammo.

Edited by jonb.

U-dies Suck Dead Bears, only about 20% effective and they make the effort to reload harder 100% of the time. The only good thing about them is the decapping pin is tough but expensive to replace.

I used the GRX after the U-Dies failed miserably to solve the Fat Brass syndrome. You may want to consider the Lee cheapie single stage it came free with the Lee Reloading Book I bought, I used it with the GRX and I also use it for .223 case prep. I think it sells for about $25.00.

I shouldn't tell you this but once I got lazy I only ran the drop check failures thru the GRX after I loaded them. Extreme caution here. And I do the same in the case pro, it rolls the loaded ones just as easy as non loaded. As a precaution I send them back thru the crimp station.

The bulge buster under the description on midway states that you can run loaded ammo through it.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG THAT 10% of my Brass will not pass case gauge I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING SHORT OF CHANGING MY PRESS

The U DIE is allowing the brass to pass gauge after the sizing station but by the time I have seated and crimped the magical bulge reappears at the base of my loaded ammo.

Check your powder drop/belling station. Be sure it isn't crushing cases. If it isn't happening at the powder drop, it must be the bullet seating die or the crimp die. Run empties through one at a time checking your setup at each station until you figure out which die is pressing the cases making them swell.

MLM

The bulge buster under the description on midway states that you can run loaded ammo through it.

Where does it say that?

The GRX is only for 40S&W, the Bulge Buster will not do 9mm, which is more likely the caliber most wanted.

Like CocoBolo, I tried the U Die and found that it was a PITA, slowed the process to a crawl. I broke 6 decap pins but were all replace by Lee. I have never tried the GRX but ended up buying a CasePro100 along with the extra die plates I needed.

Gonna invest in either a bulge buster or a GRX redding die for my glocked brass. Is it possible to run either of these dies on a dillon 550 using a separate tool head or am I going to have to invest in a single stage press no matter what. By the way I am doing this because my Lee U die is not cutting it.

This perplexes me. 100% of my 40 brass is once fired Glock brass from a local PD. I use a Lee U die in my Dillon 650 and I've only had 1 case fail the case gauge in over 15 thousand rounds. I've actually (and I know it will bite me) stopped case gauging my practice and club match ammo without any issues. :cheers:

I hope you get it figured out!!

Where does it say that?

The GRX is only for 40S&W, the Bulge Buster will not do 9mm, which is more likely the caliber most wanted.

Like CocoBolo, I tried the U Die and found that it was a PITA, slowed the process to a crawl. I broke 6 decap pins but were all replace by Lee. I have never tried the GRX but ended up buying a CasePro100 along with the extra die plates I needed.

Maybe I read it on the Lee site either way I know you can. I'm gonna be using it for .40 but I am wondering why the buster won't work in 9 mm wouldn't I just need to buy a 9 mm factory crimp from lee and hook that up to the buster?

Not on Lee's site either. So I say NO LOADED AMMO THROUGH IT.

From Lee's site.

Assure your handgun brass is bulge free with the Bulge Buster Kit and Factory Crimp Die. This push through die adapter will quickly remove the annoying bulge rings that shell holder constrained dies simply can't reach. Kit includes extension sleeve, push through punch, and catch container. It's fast--you can reprocess your cases as quickly as you can handle them.

With the Lee Factory Crimp Die, the Bulge Buster will repair all these rimless cases:

380 ACP

40 S&W

45 ACP

45 Win Mag

10 mm

41 AE

45 GAP

NOTE: 9mm cases are not able to be used in the Bulge Buster because it has a slightly tapered case and the rim is not completely flush with the case.

From Lee's site.

Assure your handgun brass is bulge free with the Bulge Buster Kit and Factory Crimp Die. This push through die adapter will quickly remove the annoying bulge rings that shell holder constrained dies simply can't reach. Kit includes extension sleeve, push through punch, and catch container. It's fast--you can reprocess your cases as quickly as you can handle them.

With the Lee Factory Crimp Die, the Bulge Buster will repair all these rimless cases:

380 ACP

40 S&W

45 ACP

45 Win Mag

10 mm

41 AE

45 GAP

NOTE: 9mm cases are not able to be used in the Bulge Buster because it has a slightly tapered case and the rim is not completely flush with the case.

Okay I looked for it Lee says nothing about loaded ammo but on midway one of the product reviews does talk about it.so that's where I read it.

From Lee's site.

380 ACP

40 S&W

45 ACP

45 Win Mag

10 mm

41 AE

45 GAP

Okay I looked for it Lee says nothing about loaded ammo but on midway one of the product reviews does talk about it.so that's where I read it.

I read the reviews too, but it's not sanctioned by Lee, so be very careful lest you have a discharge.

I am shooting out of a kkm barreled glock 24 but I'm using the die for my range brass. If I were using a factory barrel I could probably chamber the bulged brass but then I run the risk of shooting weak brass out of an unsupported chamber. Also my barrel does seem tighter than all of my buddies barrels in their STI's Infinity's, and CZ even after having it loosened up a bit. So there u go.

Ok a word about the Lee Factory Crimp Die, works ok on Jacketed Bulltes. If you are shooting lead or Moly bullets don't use it, it will undersize the bullets they will go wobbling down the barrel and load it with caca.

Check FAQ page on Precision Bullets, the moly bullet guy.

I was using it Moly bullets and I spent all my time cleaning the barrel. Ditched it and the problem went away.

For those that don't want to buy anything for a while I would size and deprime my brass then drop check it and toss the fat boys before loading.

If after you have done that you are still getting fat brass then probably your index is off on the press and it is causing what I call crooked bullets, been there and done that with my XL650, paying very close attention some times when I lowered the ram, shell plate went backwards, I figured out it was the advaning pawl, it was too long the grinder took care of that.

For those with no issue, someone with really bad brass send them a bag full so they find out what it is like to shoot where there are a lot of old glocks. Yeah, its who you shoot with, if I only picked up my own brass there would be no need to do anything but normal sizing but since I pickup anything off the ground at the range or worse at a major match I get my fair share of bad brass.

Edited by CocoBolo

I will check my bulge buster instructions, but I'm pretty sure it says you can use it with loaded ammo. That is why the "pusher" piece is hollowed out in the middle, so it doesn't push on the primer.

For 9x19 (Luger, para, NATO) use the 9x18 makarov FCD and bulge buster!

I just downloaded and read the instructions, and nowhere does it say anything about using it with live ammo.

Where do you get the FCD for the Mak? Lee doesn't make it.

FYI the rim diameter for the 9mmP = 0.394" and the Mak = 0.392". Doing what you say, you would be sizing down the rim.