Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

n320/147 berrys...

fishpinoy27

I loaded 3.3 of N320 with Berry's 147 RN and an OAL of 1.145....the gun was a G34..OEM barrel...did chrono two different days with the same chrono... Chrony..PF is 129-130....all the tread that I read was at least 3.7 of n320 for them to make minor....I am Confused...

I use the same powder and bullets the OP uses out of my 5.25. I use 3.5gn of powder and get about the same power factor. Every gun, scale and crono are a little different. As long as your gun runs good and you make PF at the big matches you are good to go...

• 2 weeks later...

The Berry is a plated bullet. The plating is not nearly as stout as the copper sheath of a FMJ. Therefore the plated bullet conforms more easily to the bore than an FMJ. Therefore less energy is required to achieve the same bullet speed.

Believe the chrono, not the book.

I made 128-130 PF using 3.2 N320 and Berry's 147s with a 1.150 OAL, mixed brass and Federal primers. This was in a stock M&P9. But note that this particular M&P ran at least 50FPS faster than all my buddies M&Ps when we were chronoing (is that an actual word?)loads. An extremely accurate load. Plated bullets run about the same as lead - faster than jacketed for a given powder charge.

I load with 3.6 so that I can still make the longer shots without too much drop and I can knock down steel with no problems. I generally load my "minor" loads in all calibers to around 140PF because it just works and I never have to worry about not making PF at the chrony. It also makes my M&P pro seem to function better than "bunny fart" loads that barely make PF....

I still get teased about how soft my loads sound though so :-P

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran a 132 PF with 3.6gr of N320. 147gr FMJ bullet, 5" 1911 and an OAL of 1.160. I like the way the heavier bullet feels at the higher PF and plan to try a slightly hotter load to see how it feels, probably around a 135 PF. The heavier bullet at slower speeds feels sluggish to me. The gun will make a diference and the recoil spring you are using will also be a factor.

Good luck!