Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal 200gr Bear Creek with Universal Clays

Twoyellowlabs

So I have been shooting titegroup with 200gr Bear Creek Moly coated bullets for a while with my .40 sight tracker. I recently picked up a nice .40 bushing stirrup cut SV and using the same load I find that there is a lot more snap in the front end. Tried doing the tungsten guide rod thing to put some more weight up front. Because I can get bear creek moly bullets for cheap and I have a ton of them, I am looking to switch powders and see if that will help it shoot flatter. Someone at the range told me to use Universal Clays. Of course I forgot who that was so I can not get any load data from them. Can anyone help me out with a recipe for shooting 200 Bear Creek with Universal Clays? Just bought a 1 lb jug to test. Thanks.

That data is for jacketed, not lead. Max load for lead should be near starting load for jacketed. Current Hodgdon data only lists one 200g bullet:

Cartridge: 40 S&W

Load Type: Pistol

Starting Loads

Maximum Loads

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure

200 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Universal .400" 1.125" 4.0 824 25,000 PSI 4.7 903 33,600 PSI

Edited by sroe3

So one of the manuals said starting load should be 3.9 to produce 832fps at 1.135. Currently doing 3.4 gr of Titegroup at 1.19 for the sight tracker and it shoots real flat. Does a longer OAL increase or decrease the pressure? Now that I bought the powder and try to do some research, I keep hearing things about case head separation and blowing up guns. Figured 22 bucks wasted vs new gun and hand is not that big of a deal.

If you have a manual that has Universal and 200g lead data, use it. 3.9g seems appropriate, reduce by 10% to start and chrono. Shorter OAL increases pressure and velocity. You should find the length that runs reliably with your pistol and adjust the powder charge for velocity and accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been shooting titegroup with 200gr Bear Creek Moly coated bullets for a while with my .40 sight tracker. I recently picked up a nice .40 bushing stirrup cut SV and using the same load I find that there is a lot more snap in the front end. Tried doing the tungsten guide rod thing to put some more weight up front. Because I can get bear creek moly bullets for cheap and I have a ton of them, I am looking to switch powders and see if that will help it shoot flatter. Someone at the range told me to use Universal Clays. Of course I forgot who that was so I can not get any load data from them. Can anyone help me out with a recipe for shooting 200 Bear Creek with Universal Clays? Just bought a 1 lb jug to test. Thanks.

I made major with 4.3 of Universal Clays out of a 5in Schuemann. At 1.190, with a 200gn Bear Creek. The longer you load the more powder you are going to need.

The Laser-cast reloading manual for 40 S&W 200gr TC bullet and Universal shows the following:

Starting load 3.9gr @ 832fps, Max load 4.3gr @ 912fps OAL 1.135

The data provided for Universal 40 S&W long-loaded 200gr bullet and Universal shows the following:

Starting load 4.2gr @ 860fps, Max load 4.7gr @ 951fps OAL 1.190

• 2 weeks later...

180 BC, OAL 1.180, crimp .421, 4.82g U-Clays - STI Edge ave 901fps (162pf), STI 6" 2011 ave 943fps (169pf) this is my 6" load.

200 BC, OAL 1.180, crimp .421, 4.21g U-Clays - STI Edge ave 844fps (168pf), STI 6" 2011 ave 874fps (174pf) this is my edge load.

A friend gave me this load I just tested, It has a shorter OAL. I needed something shorter because my 1911 would not take my long moly loads (freebore).

200 BC, OAL 1.142, crimp .420, 4.0g U-Clays - STI Edge ave 848 (169pf), STI 6"2011 ave 853 (170pf), STI 1911 ave 851 (170pf)