Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Exceptions for handicapped shooters.

Our club has a couple of shooters that have bona-fide hand issues. One has nerve damage in their strong hand and the other is missing his week hand trigger finger all together. The one with the nerve damage in his strong hand uses his week hand finger to work the action when shooting free style and has no issues shooting weak hand only. He can not shoot SHO. He often shoots weak hand on SHO stages.

Using the 2012 postal match as an example, on stage 4, if the shooter shoots from box B with its weak hand only, would you issue 6 procedurals?

1)How does ICORE rules address a shooter inability to follow the COF as written due to disabilities.

2) How does your clarification affect a classifier or Postal Match.

3) Is your clarification, consistent with each and every club that shoots a classifier or Postal match? (ie. does every club ding or not ding the shooter the same?)

The only rule I could fine that addressed ability was about props.

4. Props must not provide any danger to the competitor. Any prop that is used that requires maneuvering completely over, around, through or under must have an alternative procedure available for those that may be physically unable to follow the directed course procedure. No penalty is to be assessed if the shooter gains no advantage.

I am looking for some guidance on how it should be scored fairly. Not just fair for our members but fairly for all other disabled shooters across the world shooting the same classifier or postal stage. My question today was. How can a single MD reduce the amount of procedurals due to a handicap on an official stage without discussing this reduction with every MD in the world?

Ty. Needless to say, I'd like to know too. It's one thing at a local monthly match, but a bigger issue with something like a postal match. If it is allowable to make a judgement call, I guess all you can do is look at it on a case by case basis and do the best you can. Or if it's not, even considering medical or handicap issues, they might have to just take the penalties. Mark H.

Ty. Needless to say, I'd like to know too. It's one thing at a local monthly match, but a bigger issue with something like a postal match. If it is allowable to make ajudgmentt call, I guess all you can do is look at it on a case by case basis and do the best you can. Or if it's not, even considering medical or handicap issues, they might have to just take the penalties. Mark H.

If a single club makes its own tribal ruling at local match it does little harm worldwide. When a single MD alters the results to an international competition, I pause and ask myself, "Can this be done better"? What happens when one handed Joe from Kansas earns 6 procedurals any one handed Mike from Utah only get 1 or 2 or whatever.

I have also see a shooter who could shoot as required but after lobbying the MD for an easier penalty choose to take a single procedural when it behooves him.

One day I will be that guy that cannot take a knee as fast as I once could. I will need to decide if I should take the time to get down and do it as the course describes or stand and deliver earning the correct penalty(s). I just want it to be clear that If I stand and take 6 procedurals that the guy in the next state shooting the same COF doesnt have his MD offering him only 1.

Edited by Ty Hamby

That is a very good question as it relates to ICORE. In USPSA matches you can take a 20% penalty and shoot from an alternate place to be determined by the match director if you cannot comply with a shooting position ie: low port etc. That still does not come into play for this shooter though. I would contact ICORE and ask that question. If you do and get a reply please let us know.

Thanks

The USPSA rule (10.2.10 and subparagraphs) states 'up to a maximum penalty of 20%' or may actually waive all penalty. That allows an MD to taylor the penalty to the stage and inability to meet the requirement. 10.2.10.1 says during SHO/WHO a shooter without use of a hand can use one hand for all sections.