Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm casing with crimped primer

Harley999

I was reading on another forum that reloaders are finding crimped primer pockets on their range in Federal and Winchester 9mm casings left on the range. The original post was from Canada and on a range used by local police but others in the United States had also found same when sorting brass. Someone also had some crimped in 40 caliber.

I use a range that is also used by local police but have never seen the crimped in 9mm, don't reload 40. Has anyone else seen 9mm with a crimped primer?

I was reading on another forum that reloaders are finding crimped primer pockets on their range in Federal and Winchester 9mm casings left on the range. The original post was from Canada and on a range used by local police but others in the United States had also found same when sorting brass. Someone also had some crimped in 40 caliber.

I use a range that is also used by local police but have never seen the crimped in 9mm, don't reload 40. Has anyone else seen 9mm with a crimped primer?

WCC, FCNT, almost any casing with a date on it(FC98) are all crimped. Some 40 brass is supposedly crimped because the Coast guard uses .40's. And I have heard that win brass for them is crimped and not marked like 9mm is (WCC).

But yes, there is a lot of crimped 9mm out there.

Thanks for the input. Those who discussed this have seen the NT markings on the case as well. One person stated that WCC brass with a Nato cross is crimped but he found that commercial WCC brass with a date was not, his experience. I have attempted to attach a picture of three casings, all crimped, with the third showing a primer problem caused by not catching the crimp.

I have a 550B so if I don't find these crimped casing in a pre-load sort, station one and I have a problem. Thank again.

post-35276-0-40368600-1350047795_thumb.j

Unfortunately I've seen plenty of crimped 9mm cases. Fed NT is usually what I've run into. For some reason WCC seems to be a mix. Sometimes it's crimped sometimes not.... Usually my eyes will catch the crimped ones before they hit the press.

Back during the huge ammo shortage soon after the last election looking through one of the Winchester 100 round value packs was interesting! You didn't know what you'd find, around here anyway. There were NATO marked crimped, marked uncrimped, unmarked crimped... any combination and they were all WIN head stamps. That was before I had a 1050 and I really had to look at every case. I swear Winchester was throwing anything that they could find in those boxes, LOL!

What happens if you try to run a crimped case through a 550b? I'm only loading .40, but about to start with 9mm.

What happens depends on how good you are at feeling it. Over time I have developed the feel for crimped brass and rather than smash the primer I just pull the case, toss it over my shoulder to the recycle bucket and continue on. If you don't have a feel for it you will have a fully or partially smooshed primer like in the picture above. Some time it will get hung up in the press and the shell plate won't move till you pry it out. (Dillon 650 or LNL)

As always check 9 mm brass with a magnet lots of imposters out there, steel cloaked in a ultra thin layer of brass coating.

Edited by CocoBolo

Since I don't have a 1050 (yet!) how does it remove the crimped primer? The 650 that is currently in use will leave the small circle of metal in the primer pocket (as shown in the center piece of brass in the picture) obstructing the new primer. Will this happen with the 1050?

Since I don't have a 1050 (yet!) how does it remove the crimped primer? The 650 that is currently in use will leave the small circle of metal in the primer pocket (as shown in the center piece of brass in the picture) obstructing the new primer. Will this happen with the 1050?

It has a swaging station. In other words it has a station with a rod that pushes into the primer pocket and uniforms the primer pocket. The crimp is just a little overhanging sliver of brass that has to be sized if you will.