Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Length Of Pull for 3-Gun Shotgun?

dustyvarmint

For better or worse I'm getting ready to set up my Mossberg 500 as an entry-level 3-gun shotgun.

I'm 5'6", 142 lbs, athletic. Pretty much every sporting gun on the market is made too big for me. :lol:

Can I get a gunsmith who sets up shotguns for hunting set up my shotgun for the correct length of pull for 3-gun? Or is there another good method?

I am not interested in a tactical adjustable stock at this time.

Thanks and happy shooting, dv

PS: I searched and found 352 posts, but none relevent. Any links to relevant threads are appreciated. :D

I've determined for my needs that "placing your stock in the crook of your elbow" is completely useless. :blink:

Have you read the article by Bill Hanus on LOP? He, and Phil Bourjaily both use the "eye to thumb knuckle" distance as the most relevant measurement... that being, a pretty broad IMO, 1" ~ 1.5".

In either case, it requires a second party to take that measurement for you... it' seems that most knowledgeable sporting shotgunners use this, or a variation of this, method.

I've tried it a few times, but I think that as I tend to take a more square (too square?) to the target stance, I find that my happy LOP ends up being a bit shorter for my height at 13" rather than the minimum 13.6" the above method suggests.

Rudy Etchen said... “You should shoot the shortest stock you can shoot without getting your nose kicked, because the farther you are away from the gun, the more you have to steer it. The longer the gun is, the harder it is to point. If you're tied in close, not getting your nose kicked by the thumb on your trigger hand, the better you'll shoot.”

In other words, if there's a hard and fast rule that works for one and all, I'd love to hear it. :bow:

C

Edited by creeper1956

I use the same length of pull on all my shotguns, whether for hunting or 3-gun or trap. When hunting you have to snap the gun to your shoulder quickly, sounds a lot like 3-gun doesn't it? You should also learn about drop and cast. Those both affect where the pattern hits. Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun, unless you're using ghost ring or blade rear. Your rear sight (eye) has to line up correctly with the front sight, every time.

Rudy Etchen said... “You should shoot the shortest stock you can shoot without getting your nose kicked, because the farther you are away from the gun, the more you have to steer it. The longer the gun is, the harder it is to point. If you're tied in close, not getting your nose kicked by the thumb on your trigger hand, the better you'll shoot.

I like this concept & hate a stock that is to long.

Not completely relevant but the 870's we have at the pd for work have pistol grip speed feed stocks on them. These stocks are a full inch longer than a standard ar15/m16 stock, measured from trigger to trigger. Very long and difficult to use, especially with armor. I have a half inch cut off my benelli m1. It just feels right.

Jay

Trapr Swonson aka bigbrowndog has a very nice benelli nova with a shortened stock. I thought he was offering his Red Neck Tactical gun smith services to the public but I'm not for certain. Red Neck Tactical has a Facebook page or you can contact Trapr here via PM.

P.S. there is no N in the later part of his screename. It's just "dog". I got a lot of awkward looks when I first met him and said hey it great to finally meet the bigbrowndong.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

P.S. there is no N in the later part of his screename. It's just "dog". I got a lot of awkward looks when I first met him and said hey it great to finally meet the bigbrowndong.

Admit it, you did it on purpose and liked it. :roflol: