Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 super Witness to 9mm conversion?

idHawk

Hey guys, new to the forum. I purchased a 9mm Limited Custom earlier this year and to say that I have the Tanfoglio bug is an understatement. I picked up a Witness yesterday in .38 Super for a pretty good deal. I wanted it because it has the older style slide with flat top. Anyway, I was just wondering how difficult it would be to convert it over to a 9mm. I'd like to run it in IDPA. It is as simple as a barrel swap?

True, it will headspace on the extractor. I've know of three examples of this working. A local sti shooter has thousands of rounds of 9x19 thru a 38 super open gun, a friend of mine has over 100000 rounds of 9x19 thru his 9x21 chambered tang open gun. 9x19 brass was supplied to him by EAA back in the early 90's when they sponsored him. lastly, I tried some 9x19 thru my 9x21 open gun, no ill effects.

To the OP, do as u see fit, this is merely a suggestion

After reading this post, I checked two of my 38 super open guns. They both chamber the 9mm round (but need extractor adjustments). Are there any negative effects of shooting the 9 major rounds out of a 38 super chamber? Is there a loss of accuracy, etc?

Thanks,

Z

Well I tried chambering a spent 9mm in HawkTech's .38 super chamber and it wouldn't go in all the way without a little force. Then I had to pry it out. :)

Mostly we were wondering if the breach face and extractor would work if he got a 9mm barrel. But it sounds like it should from what I read..

A new 9mm barrel is less than $200 from EAA. From a safety stand point, might be the way to go. EGW measuring block for 38S, 9mm just doesn't fit the same. But 9x23 does.

If you really want to shoot different calibers out of the same barrel, try 9x23 out of the 38S barrel.

After alls said and Dunn your better of running proprietary complete upper slides or barrels for each caliber you shoot.

• 10 months later...

ahh cool..... finally got in touch w EAA, I guess I dont need the full conversion kit, I only need the 9mm barrel, recoil spring & mags :cheers:

how does the witness match elite compare to the stock 2 as far as accuracy goes ?