Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 Shadow SP01 vs Grand Power X-Calibur

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Hello.
I am relatively new to the shooting community. I came across your forum and I find it to be populated by people that know what they are discussing about.

I am interested in one of those(K100 or X-Calibur). Which one I choose will depend on the following information that I can not find on the internet(hopefully one of you can help me out):
I intend to use the gun mostly on the range. But, if the necessity arises to carry it I would also like a reliable weapon to carry. Price and size is not an issue in my case but my job imply that I walk/ride ATV’s in sometimes dusty/muddy conditions.

So, when I get home sometimes I notice that there is not a single place on my body that is not dusty/muddy, this is why I suspect that a weapon placed on me will be as dirty as I am.
Obviously the X-Calibur seem a better idea(really like the longer sight radius) but I am wondering if:
-the sport sights can catch in clotting

-the “castelations” on the slide can allow the access of dirt/dust/mud more easily to the mechanism, and thus making the weapon more prone to jams/failures. Can the “castelations” be covered?

-the trigger mechanism on the X-Calibur, being lighten, is more sensitive(I ask if the fine tuning has sacrificed some of the ruggedness)

-another aspect is that my local distributor stated that a decocker can not be mounted on an X-Claibur(I prefer a decocker to a safety). Please share a thought on this also.

Hopefully one of you owners can help me figure this out.
All the best!

Hello.

I am relatively new to the shooting community. I came across your forum and I find it to be populated by people that know what they are discussing about.

I am interested in one of those(K100 or X-Calibur). Which one I choose will depend on the following information that I can not find on the internet(hopefully one of you can help me out):

I intend to use the gun mostly on the range. But, if the necessity arises to carry it I would also like a reliable weapon to carry. Price and size is not an issue in my case but my job imply that I walk/ride ATV’s in sometimes dusty/muddy conditions.

So, when I get home sometimes I notice that there is not a single place on my body that is not dusty/muddy, this is why I suspect that a weapon placed on me will be as dirty as I am.

Obviously the X-Calibur seem a better idea(really like the longer sight radius) but I am wondering if:

-the sport sights can catch in clotting

-the “castelations” on the slide can allow the access of dirt/dust/mud more easily to the mechanism, and thus making the weapon more prone to jams/failures. Can the “castelations” be covered?

-the trigger mechanism on the X-Calibur, being lighten, is more sensitive(I ask if the fine tuning has sacrificed some of the ruggedness)

-another aspect is that my local distributor stated that a decocker can not be mounted on an X-Claibur(I prefer a decocker to a safety). Please share a thought on this also.

Hopefully one of you owners can help me figure this out.

All the best!

The X-Calibur is not yet available on the US market.

In an appropriate holster, I don't see why you couldn't use it as you describe, but I suspect the K100 would be more appropriate. The stock rear sight on the K100 is snag resistant and the unscalloped slide is less likely to allow dirt to enter at the wrong time.

Grand Power do have a decocking hammer group developed, but it is not shipping yet as far as I know. I believe it is a drop in system for the K100. I will post a review when I can get one to play with.

@canuck223:

Dear Sir,

thank you for the valuable information provided.

I do not live in USA(although this is one of the greatest regrets of my adult life :) ). I live in Romania in Eastern Europe and in relative proximity to Slovakia. And the X-Calibur is available here. The price is a little stiff( about $1380).

The K100 is cheaper(about $740).

But the price is not exactly the main reason of my asking. The reason is that I tend to be a more efficient shooter with a longer sight radius and barrel. So, in my opinion a barrel length of 4.5"-5.0" is optimum in combining relative ease of carry and good performance. The idea of fitting a 120mm barrel in an K100 frame is not very appealing to me because the sight radius remains the same and the rotating barrel is more exposed

This is why I first thought of the CZ85(I am left handed). But this weapon has the following disadvantages for me:

-unknown life expectancy(K100 is supposed to last at least 5 years because this is how long is the warranty here)

-a little heavier(if i carry it on my hip I suspect that my back will hurt after a while)

-the CZ representative is not nearly as nice as the Grand Power one(and since I consider the purchase of a gun a very serious business I prefer to do such business with people that can be trusted).

I suspected that due to the "castelated slide" the X-Claibur does not like dirt. This is why I asked if any of you have tried to cover(fill them with resin for instance- I suspect that a bright red or a electric blue resin will look very nice) the castelations on an X-Calibur or X-Trim.

Also the

"-the trigger mechanism on the X-Calibur, being lighten, is more sensitive(I ask if the fine tuning has sacrificed some of the ruggedness)

"

questions interest me from the perspective of people that use weapons more consistently than we use them here in Romania(the laws here are very prohibitive especially regarding handguns-I am very lucky to be able to legally own and carry one)

Once again thank you for your input.

I replied to the other post as well.
Grand Power Romania are great to deal with.

If you are close enough, try out one at their indoor range. (It may be limited to the 9PA and 10x28 models.)

From your description, you want the K100 and not the X-Calibur.

The X-Calibur trigger is great, and not fragile or unsafe to carry hammer down.

If I understand Romanian gun law, odds are your gun will be custom ordered from the factory and imported for you.

I'd order the Dynamic model.

It's rear sight is much nicer for target shooting and smooth enough not to snag on your clothes.
If you want, you can order it with the Target trigger which feels much better for target shooting, and will not be a problem for you in the bush.

See Pavel at LHS Holsters just south of you in Varna for a decent holster. His Falcon model will protect the front sight.

Tell him his Canadian brother said hello.

Dear Sir,

I thank you for the fast and comprehensive answer.

In fact from my location is easier to get to the Slovakian factory than it is to get to Bucharest(where is the shooting range you mentioned). It has to do with the dubious quality of the roads ion my country and with the fact that now the holliday season is approaching so there are a lot of drivers on the already nasty roads.

But this is of little concern since I talked to the Romanian distributor and, he arranged that I will have the chance to test them both(X-Calibur and K100) in my city in the near future. If everything goes as planed, then I will post my very UN-professional impression regarding the X-Claibur.

The holster was another issue for me because in this part of the world the holsters are Makarov/Walther onr Glock orientated. Also it is relatively hard to find holsters for large frame handguns.

And from what I could see, colleagues of mine that carry the T(from traumatic as in non-lethal) version have really big problems in finding a decent holster for it.

So I thank you for the hint regarding where to buy a good holster.

Edited by serghey24

As far as I know, LHS is the only current supplier of molded kydex holsters specificly for the X-Calibur, and I don't know of anyone doing them in leather right now.

For the K100, there is also I believe Falco based in SR that make leather holsters.

Where ever you get your holster, ask if it's molded on the new slide profile. The new guns have no taper to the muzzle as in previous versions.

• 10 months later...

Hi, this is my first ever post on this site.

I have been a shooter of the CZ75 SP01 Shadow and recently just got my Grand Power X-Calibur MK12

Happy to answer any questions around these two guns.

As for holsters. I have ordered an LHS holster (so can let everyone know what that's like when I get it, but currenty using the Double Alpha Race Master holster - they now do a block insert for the GP-X-Calibur

Hi, this is my first ever post on this site.

I have been a shooter of the CZ75 SP01 Shadow and recently just got my Grand Power X-Calibur MK12

Happy to answer any questions around these two guns.

As for holsters. I have ordered an LHS holster (so can let everyone know what that's like when I get it, but currenty using the Double Alpha Race Master holster - they now do a block insert for the GP-X-Calibur

Hi Chris how are you finding your X-Calibur , have you had much range time with it ? Any tips on loads etc ?

Dave

Be very sure that if you are ordering a holster for the Mk12 Grand Power guns to specify that it is a Mk12.

The trigger guard is wider and it won't fit into a Ghost etc made for the Mk7.

I know LHS can supply them. (Disclaimer - I'm the Canadian distributor for them.)
I know that CR should have a gun by now to test.

At last word, Ghost was still a wile away from producing the right block.

The X-Calibur will run most lengths of ammo fine. Zero 125g JHP-C work if you keep the OAL to less than 1.143. (in my case, with 4.2gr N320 for 130PF)

About the only tip I can offer is to make sure you leave a thin film of oil on the barrel face where it surrounds the breech. It acts as a thrust bearing and running it completely dry can cause the gun to choke. Leave it very lightly oiled, and it will keep on chugging.

Grand-Power-X-Calibur-left-side.jpg

Production gun?!?

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see anything in the Prod rules why this shouldn't be in Production class, assuming the sales are there and the company follows the procedure to get it certified.

Don't we need more unobtainable guns on the prod list?