Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once more onto the breach

cz75ipsc

I'm buying an STI and was wondering, should I just remove the RM right away? The weird thing is, browsing the forum, or trying a search on RecoilMasters, the only posts I find are negative ones. I've heard that they have caused malfunctions, but then again some say that they haven't had any problems with them, they just seem to be a minority.

Loves2Shoot, I've understood you have had a more or less problem-free experience with the RM. Which one do use (light/heavy)? Have you replaced it? You said in a post a while ago you've shot 50k+ with it, and without problems. That's pretty impressive, even if it were a common setup (guide rod and spring).

Anyone who bought an STI with the RM installed at the factory (I don't know for how long they've been selling guns with RMs installed as a standard), have YOU had any problems with 'em? I'm guessing a lot of the problems with them are due to installation errors. And the first 500 or so were faulty because of some heat treatment thing, I've read..?

Basically, I want to hear any experiences with them, good or bad, although I hope I could get some positive feedback on them, since this forum is already loaded with posts concerning all the different kind's of failures they cause. But obviously SOME people haven't had any problems with them.

Damn, this should've been a poll <_<

Had one in the factory STI grandmaster, never had a problem. TJ, Max, Chris T. are just a few of the top guys using them. TJ swears by them and even has a lighter first spring that he uses. The next gun I get will have one. No one around here (central FL) has had one break, not that I have heard anyways.

I got one in a limited gun..so far hasn't broken or shown abnormal wear..but only a couple of matches and a practice with it in..

I contoured and blended the guide rod head though..like I do on my other guide rods though..

so the testing is still going on..

I guess I got the second generation one because I have had zero problems with mine. I use a heavy in my SVI .40, tungsten barrel, I know 2 people who, after shooting my set-up, duplicated it and have had no problems with it either. It is super soft, but it doesn't return as "fast" on multiple shots as my 14lb spring set-up, (no .12-.13 splits :( ) but it also keeps me from "double tapping," so that is the main reason I shoot it. I know I need to see the second shot shooting the RM. I don't have to grip as hard so I am a tad more relaxed. If the gun gets dirty (I don't clean it until I can feel the slide slow down) it can get a bit slingshotty feeling, but other that that it works great.

It comes down to what you like. I know bunches of people shooting them and bunches tht don't. The only ones I've heard about breaking are on the forum, heck I've seen more Glocks break than RM's. I've broken 3 tungsten rods. But 2 were due to my tinkering, the other I don't know why it failed. I can't really blame it on the rod, the one I use in my open gun is from the same batch as 2 of those I broke in my limited gun and it hasn't failed.

I've not broken a Bomar, but I know many have. Are they bad?

Go with what you like and I haven't felt bad about recomending people who shoot with excessive tension to give the RM a try, some like it some don't. Good luck :)

If it's possible try finding a friends gun who has a tungsten GR if you have a recoil master. Load both up and go back and forth between the 2 guns. They will shoot totally different. Stick witht the one that you like the best. Don't base your judgement on everything that you read. There is a ton of good information, but a lot of it is subjective. One setup will let you shoot better, and it's not necessarily right or wrong.

Thanks for all the input. I just KNEW they couldn't be all bad :D

I wouldn't remove it, but I'd keep a backup standard guide rod, plug and a 12 lb spring in my range bag.

Now that's good advice

If it's possible try finding a friends gun who has a tungsten GR if you have a recoil master. Load both up and go back and forth between the 2 guns. They will shoot totally different. Stick witht the one that you like the best

So is that

Thanks guys :)

I've had 3 pistols with RM's installed and I can say I haven't had any break or have any feed related problems that I can remember. However, I got a new open gun recently and decided to install a steel guide-rod and 9lb spring with no buff. The dot seems to track so much better with a plain-ole steel guide-rod, so that is what I'm going to stick with. It's all a matter of personal opinion of what is the best setup. If you want to install a RM, then go for it.