Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Differences between 9 Major and Minor Open Guns

mioduz

I am building an open 9mm 2011. I think I am going to build primarily for 9mm Minor as alot of the matches I shoot are just steel and they do not score any differently for major and minor. With that being said if I want to run Major in the future other than a recoil spring change, is there anything else that would change?

Most of the time, you can shoot a minor (depends on how minor) and major load without changing springs but that depends heavily on your setup and your loads. There was a long discussion on that topic here recently and one guy who is well known on the forum has 4 Open guns, 3 will run his ammo major and minor, the other one won't...and they are all very similar - go figure. If your gun will primarily be used for Steel Challenge, then go with a lighter gun setup that will favor the fast transitions (as a lot recommend) but that gun will be brutal sometimes when running Major ammo. One guy on here had gun built with two top ends - one really lightened for SC and one more full size with more weight for USPSA. I have a shorty that I use for SC and a full size for USPSA.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: I shoot my open pistol with major and minor(126PF) loads without changing anything. My open major loads I use 115 grain bullets and minor I use 95grain bullets. Same powder for both HS-6. Thanks, Eric

Eric, if you don't mind ignoring the legal ramifications of answering this question :surprise: ,

approx. how many gr of HS-6 are you using for minor/major?

Jack

Hello: I shoot my open pistol with major and minor(126PF) loads without changing anything. My open major loads I use 115 grain bullets and minor I use 95grain bullets. Same powder for both HS-6. Thanks, Eric

Eric, if you don't mind ignoring the legal ramifications of answering this question :surprise: ,

approx. how many gr of HS-6 are you using for minor/major?

Jack

I use the following unsafe off the charts amount of HS6, 9.0gr with 115gr, for a blistering 1501 fps. I had a shorty that I built for shooting minor steel, it started as a major gun, the big difference was the slide weight 7 oz. What I found out shooting steel is that when I used the fast powder, it was so soft and flat that I had a hard time shooting it fast, went back to major loads. Other than major I ran 125gr with 5.2gr of AutoComp which gave the gun a better feel than the fast powder, it had a Brazos TC II comp. Like Eric I've shot the 95gr bullets, just leave everthing on the press the same big gob of powder and just stuff the little bullet, shoots nice.

I didn't find any real advantage in the shorty with the ultra light weight slide so I sold it. If it were my money I would build a major gun and if so compelled shoot a little minor in it for steel.

3 out of 4 SteelMaster shooters I've noticed drop it and move to a major gun, while maybe its just me my full size gun shoots minor much better than the steel master. YMMV