Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye doc for shooting glasses

e-mishka

i have a question about what kind of lens works best. I have been shooting open lately because it just got too hard to see the sights, but I would like to return to single stack. My vision at a distance is better than ever, but anything inside of three feet is a mystery. What kind of correction works best? Has anyone used one lens for up close and the other for distance or do progressive lenses work.

1911Prof,

Best is hard to define. What is best for my 65+ year old eyes may not be best for you or anyone else! If you have a gun friendly eye Dr. check and see if you can come in with your SS. Explain your ? and go from there. If your Dr. in unfriendly, find a new Dr. who is and can work with you.

FWIW

Richard

i have a question about what kind of lens works best. I have been shooting open lately because it just got too hard to see the sights, but I would like to return to single stack. My vision at a distance is better than ever, but anything inside of three feet is a mystery. What kind of correction works best? Has anyone used one lens for up close and the other for distance or do progressive lenses work.

Hi 1911Prof! As you know, the two different lenses will not work for me. My eye Doc helped me out with setting up my Rudy insert. She went ahead and made both lenses the same. I use a bifocal set at front sight distance and the rest of the lens has a very mild correction for distance. If you can't find a gun-friendly eye doc up there, I can hook you up with mine. Of course, this is with the stipulation that you never shoot single stack in a match that I'm also shooting in! ;)

My eye Doc helped me out with setting up my Rudy insert. She went ahead and made both lenses the same. I use a bifocal set at front sight distance and the rest of the lens has a very mild correction for distance.

This sounds like something that might work for me. Are your bifocals progressive or lined? And if you shoot 3 gun, does that setup work for your rifle and shotgun?

Thanks.

Bill

Lined. According to my doc, you lose some peripheral vision with progressive lenses. I shoot only pistol in USPSA, and haven't really tried the new glasses on long guns.

• 1 month later...

There are some good articles on bifocal pistol sight problems, noline will cause you to bob your head around. When you bend forward you are looking over the top of the bifocal. What I have are single vision lens. The lens are my distance vision on my non-dominant eye and the same on my dominant +.75 diapter. You only need enought to clear the front sight. The less that works the better. My optometrist had never made these before, but he sure understood the concept. He ordered them tinted yellow and I furnished some frames. $80. They are great.

Edited by Arkieron