Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Special 150gr SWC

scout308

Ive got a big service match coming up at the end of the month and have decided to use my Python. Ive been researching loads and will be using a 150gr SWC projectile in a 38 Special case. Going through this article here http://www.handloads...fault.asp?id=24 and came up with this

Best SWC for the .38 Special

Putting a GC on .38 Special bullet is kinda like putting a frilly lace dress on John Wayne -- it just doesn't belong there! As mentioned above, my personal favorite bullet for the .38 Special is the original 150 grain version of the Lyman 358477. Any number of good loads will generate 950 fps with this bullet, and do so quite accurately, but my favorite is 5.4 grains of Unique. As far as what is available today, the RCBS 38 150 SWC (they call it a "Keith" but it's doubtful that Elmer actually designed it) is an excellent mould and gets my vote for the best bullet currently available for the .38 Special. The lighter weight of these two bullets allows the sixgunner to get optimum performance out of a .38 Special revolver.

I have Unique on hand and would like some thoughts on this load of 5.4g Unique with a 150gr SWC 38 Special

What is a service match? Does it require +P loads? That is what a .38 150 + 5.4 gr Unique = 950 fps is.

Depending on the bullet and barrel , .38 150-158 + 4.5 - 5.0 gr Unique is around factory standard velocity and will puncture the targets quite well.

If you will be loading on the clock, a speedloader full of roundnose bullets goes in the cylinder a lot quicker than semiwadcutters.

I shot a number of IDPA matches with my Python and a 158 RN at 820 fps. And that is more than they require.

So unless your service match demands heavy loads, make it easier on yourself.

Might be an Australian match. This is what it is

POLICE AND SERVICES COMPETITION

50 Metres

24 shots in 165 sec.(2min 45sec) in the following manner; 6 shots at T4 prone (reload) 6 shots T3 sit/kneel (reload) 6 shots T2 RH/RS barricade (reload) 6 shots T1 LH/LS barricade

25 Metres

6 shots in 15 sec at T4 RH/RS barricade 6 shots in 15 sec at T3 LH/LS barricade 12 shots in 35 seconds in the following manner; 6 shots T1 LH/LS barricade (reload) 6 shots T2 RH/RS barricade

Score & patch – same shooter returns

6 shots in 7 sec at T1 (unsupported)

6 shots in 7 sec – 2 shots at T2 - 2 shots at T3 - 2 shots at T4 (unsupported)

10 Metres

6 shots in 5 sec at T4 6 shots in 8 sec at T3 in the following manner; (3 shots strong hand only, 3 shots weak hand only) 6 shots in 5 sec fired in the following manner; (3 shots at T1 and 3 shots at T2)

7 Metres

12 shots in 12 sec in the following manner; 3 shots at each of two (2) nominated targets, reload and repeat.

That looks like it is close to the PPC type course that I used to compete in back in the 60's. SWC bullets are sometime a bit hard to stuff very fast in the cylinder using speedloaders. Round nose would work much better. Something along the lines of the Lyman 358311 160 RN.

Also 5.4 grains of Unique is on the hot side and will give you velocities around 1000 fps or more.

When I was shooting PPC most were using very mild loads. Down around 650 to 700 fps.

I'd suggest starting around 4.2 and working up to a max of 5.0 of Unique or 2.5 to 3.3 grains of Bullseye. Either loading would work well with the 160 RN.

LEE makes a 150-152? grain RN six cavity mold that I use for ICORE. Its real easy to cast, and rounds drop into my cylinders real easy.

I have been happy with WW 231 powder if you can get it.

That looks like it is close to the PPC type course that I used to compete in back in the 60's. SWC bullets are sometime a bit hard to stuff very fast in the cylinder using speedloaders. Round nose would work much better. Something along the lines of the Lyman 358311 160 RN.

Also 5.4 grains of Unique is on the hot side and will give you velocities around 1000 fps or more.

When I was shooting PPC most were using very mild loads. Down around 650 to 700 fps.

I'd suggest starting around 4.2 and working up to a max of 5.0 of Unique or 2.5 to 3.3 grains of Bullseye. Either loading would work well with the 160 RN.

I didn't spot the Australian connection.

When I was shooting PPC, it was usually with wadcutters, a 148 at 750 or less.

For the Distinguished match, calling for "service loads" I shot a 158 SWC at 800 or less.

Time limits are not bad for wadcutters and semiwadcutters.

Now for IDPA or IPSC, the RN is a big help on the reload.