What do sights do?

Flexmoney

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the "frame" concept. I can't remember who gave me my first shot calling lesson - LONG AGO - but the analogy of a camera taking a snapshot was his explanation of what was the last thing you needed to remember, when the gun went off, to call the shot.

be

My field of view narrows considerably when taking a hard focus on the front sight. I'm locked in when I use that hard focus on a single target, to the exclusion of the surrounding targets. However, when employing a softer focus on the front sight, I tend to look over them or through them, and my accuracy suffers. Please share any thoughts on this.

The trick lies in keeping your focus moving. From the target, back to the front sight, over and over and over... Locate (see clearly) the first target, and as your sights are coming toward it, bring your focus back to where the front sight will be when it stops on the center of the target. Keep it there just until you see the sight lift and call the shot, they your focus is off to clealy locate the next target, as soon as you've found the target, then immediately shift your focus again back to where the front sight will be when it stops on the target.

You might check out the Transition Drill.

• 2 weeks later...

Sights could give me every input I need but also coild block me from learning other possible types of aiming.

It took me years to learn that I could hit As on close targets w/ just the pistol slide as aiming device bcoz of my stuborn adherence to front sight aiming. But the fs helped me reach this type of aiming. And I did not force it. It just came to me in d middle of nowhere. Until now it just come and go. So my default are my sights.

1 - They are a mechanism for precise and accurate shot placement under low/no stress scenarios.

2 - They are a training aid for developing the procedural memory necessary for point shooting.

3 - The front sight is a training aid for discovering and understanding your optimal shooting technique.

4 - The rear sight provides a mechanism to rack the slide with one hand when injured or under duress.

I like the "frame" concept. I can't remember who gave me my first shot calling lesson - LONG AGO - but the analogy of a camera taking a snapshot was his explanation of what was the last thing you needed to remember, when the gun went off, to call the shot.

be

was it Ron Avery?

be

was it Ron Avery?

I can't say for sure... Why did you ask if it was Ron?

When I walk the rounds onto my target with my full auto machine gun, they don't do a damn thing. Furthermore, when I'm shooting steel at 7 yards (pistol) they don't do much either as well. I can pretty much muscle memory those rounds on to the steel and hear my hits as feedback instead of the sights.

But No matter how much of a Yoda you are... and no matter how much of the force you use, I have a 338 Lapua that won't hit anything at a mile unless you line "something" up.

I believe sights as a tool will mean different things to different people depending on how much skill they have with the given weapon system. Some folks can walk on water without even a flash site picture. Others could not hit the broadside of a barn without their use. So....Do with them what you will, but make sure your skill level is in proper accordance to their use.

Edited by Panic Flinch

I can pretty much muscle memory those rounds on to the steel and hear my hits as feedback instead of the sights.

Hmm. The external feedback you get there will be delayed. For the 7y steel you speak of (kinda close?)... Steel Challenge would add 0.04s for bullet flight time. If you were looking for holes in a paper target, you'd be waiting that long for the feedback. With "hear the hits" you have the additional time it takes sound to travel back to your ears.

You may be better off trusting proprioception/kinesthetic awareness/muscle memory. But, man...sometimes you can really be on with that...and sometimes you can be off. At least, that is the way it seems to me.

I trust my vision sooo much more. I think we all do, really. And, there is no delay. In fact, I can get visual information even before the round has actually fired. I can use that to information, in a variety of ways.

"I don't always use my sights at close range, but when I do...I don't!" :roflol:

Watch them lift my friends...

In all seriousness though, I find that I use them a lot when shooting a steel popper, texas star, or other "fun" target. I don't really remember seeing them so much on a close range "hoser" target (like 3yd or closer) much more than the first sight picture. Then I just trust that they come down in pretty much the same spot and send another off once the trigger is reset. Medium range, I don't really aim, so much as I catch the front sight and don't really care about the rear. I really care about alignment for targets past 15 yards.

Edited by 45dotACP