Flexmoney

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They really interfere with my point shooting.

As you said they are feedback devices but I think also they are current information devices. Feedback for me is in the past but there is some current information there too. I relate that to a shot setup approaching positions and seeing what I need to see to make the shot.

I know somebody is gonna say that's all feedback but I'm trying to separate two parts of technique. Eventually they all come together though.

What do sights do?

Lets hear your thoughts...

I was thinking they help you check alignment. You want to align the guns bore with your line of sight to the target.

I went to look up the word align and I especially like the second definition.

Verb:
  1. Place or arrange (things) in a straight line.
  2. Put (things) into correct relative positions.

The sights are indicators to tell you if you have the two things in correct relative positions.

What do sights do?

I seem to remember RO'ing you at a local match a few years ago, when you were not shooting a glock, with a gun that did not have any front sight. Did not seem to really matter as you still out shoot almost everybody there.

MDA

What do sights do?

I was thinking they help you check alignment. You want to align the guns bore with your line of sight to the target.

I went to look up the word align and I especially like the second definition.

Verb:
  1. Place or arrange (things) in a straight line.
  2. Put (things) into correct relative positions.

The sights are indicators to tell you if you have the two things in correct relative positions.

I like that, thinking about sights as a Verb.

Edited by toothguy

What do sights do?

I seem to remember RO'ing you at a local match a few years ago, when you were not shooting a glock, with a gun that did not have any front sight. Did not seem to really matter as you still out shoot almost everybody there.

MDA

I would have kicked my own ass* if I used sights. (But, exploring other inputs was interesting.)

* - Stole that line from GmanBart

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sights tell me if what I'm doing is correct. If my sights don't come back to me properly they're trying to tell me something...then I have to figure out what!

Your grip is not nuetral. Try this... Aim the gun at the backstop (no target), perfectly align the sights, close your eyes - remember the total feeling of your grip - and fire the shot. Then open your eyes and see where sights are. Keep doing that until the sight return perfectly aligned.

Thought provoking topic. Watching the slingshot clip reminded me of a story, maybe a tall one that did the rounds when i was growing up in Wales. We broke our teeth on air rifles, and quickly went down a different avenue to the slingshot guy. We worked out drop charts, windage allowances and mid range trajectories and changed pellets anytime something new came along. I did shoot lots, often firing 500 in a day, but the legend was about a guy with an old diana, not a feinwerkbau or weirauch, it had no sights and the story goes that he used to shoot wood pigeon flying.

The story could be bs, but its remembered because I know its was feasable, and every now and then some intuitive shooting with the pistol confirms that to me.

What are sights for, I wish i knew

My sights give me tunnel vision, like looking through a knot hole in a wooden fence. In contrast, if I look over the fence and knot hole or sights I can see more but not view an individual item as accurately or clearly.

Why would/do your sights give you tunnel vision. Is it momentary, or extended?