What do sights do?

Flexmoney

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say the grip is the steering wheel, and the trigger is your gas * pedal.

I still think the sights are my speedometer, but they could be likened to the windshield, if you take into account "speed awareness" and "depth perception".

Speedo isn't bad, but I'm trying to separate the wheat from the chaff a bit. So, if you are really running your car hard and throwing it into the corners and such...do you really look at the speedometer for anything? I don't think I do.

Maybe we ought to try a different metaphor (non-car) ?

The sights are a mirror. They reflect what you're doing while you are doing it. Or maybe they are an interpreter. Taking a subconscious action and explaining it in such a way that the conscious mind can understand.

Edited by Kali

Sights are these aggravating things attached to my gun that bob and weave all over the place, most often when I want them to be steady. They're most useful as a barometer as to whether or not I've had too much coffee and not enough to eat before shooting my gun. Like hyper-active children, they only sit still when resting, and more often than not, do nothing more than give me a headache and make my eyes buggy. :surprise:

This maybe why I have so many ups and downs at various matches. Some matches I shoot really well others not so much, since to me the sights are what drives the gun. I understand that grip, trigger control ect are very important but if you don't have the pistol "steered" in the proper direction the rest won't matter since the round isn't going where it needs to go. I've been shooting for almost 2 yrs now and still trying to claw my way to B class in Limited, I'm 2.5ish points away. It looks like I need to rethink how I'm using the sights, when I'm smart enough to use them that is.

Sights are a teacher. They teach us how to align the gun and if we listen to them, tell us what we are doing right and wrong. In some instances, sights can also become a heavily relied upon crutch...like training wheels that we are scared to take off. I would guess for most shooting inside of 15 yards sights aren't even needed (see slingshot guy video) but we use them. It helps us feel secure and connected. Sights are a security blanket.

They show me that even after 30 years together there are things I have yet to learn about them

and that they and my eyes are always changing,and complacency and pride in ability will be corrected with severity and quickly be replaced by humility.

To me the sights are like the steering wheel of a car. It is going to direct the car/bullet to where the driver/shooter intends for the car/bullet to end up. I hope this makes sense

Wouldn't they be more like the windshield? The sights don't direct the gun, do they?

I would say the steering wheel on a car is an input device.

Depends on your plant model...

From the world of quality, I would liken them to gauges (micrometers, calipers, etc.).

Gauges are calibrated (sighted in), and have some sort of precision, along with accuracy and repeatability.

Precision would be how fine the measurement, accuracy is how true the measurement is, and repeatability is the ability to repeat the measurement consistently.

Seems like sights fill those criteria.

And gauges and sights are both subject to user error ...

Guy

From the world of quality, I would liken them to gauges (micrometers, calipers, etc.).

Gauges are calibrated (sighted in), and have some sort of precision, along with accuracy and repeatability.

Precision would be how fine the measurement, accuracy is how true the measurement is, and repeatability is the ability to repeat the measurement consistently.

Which is to say the are an instrument or sensor for taking measurements. That's why I likened it to a control loop because they measure your errors, and you close the loop on how much they are off by. There are just various ways to close the error depending on how large it is.

Which is to say the are an instrument or sensor for taking measurements. That's why I likened it to a control loop because they measure your errors, and you close the loop on how much they are off by. There are just various ways to close the error depending on how large it is.

I don't see how sights measure error. Error is based on outcome. The only accurate measurement of error is checking the target.

I don't see how sights measure error. Error is based on outcome. The only accurate measurement of error is checking the target.

The sights are not measuring the error of your movement, and you don't use that as an input to close the loop?

And just what is shot calling?

The sights are not measuring the error of your movement, and you don't use that as an input to close the loop?

I don't understand the first sentence; it reads to me like empty jargon.

Shot calling is seeing the sights on the target at the break and "knowing" that the gun was lined up correctly. If that is measurement, then so is range estimation if based on "how far away something looks".

Sights don't "do" anything.

I have been contemplating this for the last few weeks as I start to focus on improving my pistol skills, one portion of which is doing something to improve my vision. I've shot the last 2 matches with prescription glasses and it was like a completely new experience.

I have charted out a few things that I do that are totally left brain and totally right brain to try and draw some parallels and see if I can shoot without accumulating so much data. For instance, after 6 3Gun majors this year, I can still recount EVERY sight picture for every slug shot (hits and misses) I took this year...I collect TMI.

High performance driving while actually in the seat, is probably the most right brain that I have been. So, at this point, the sights are the road.

I don't understand the first sentence; it reads to me like empty jargon.

Shot calling is seeing the sights on the target at the break and "knowing" that the gun was lined up correctly. If that is measurement, then so is range estimation if based on "how far away something looks".

Below is the basic model for a closed loop system.

If you are trying to aim a gun, the outcome is where the gun is pointed.

Sights are a 'sensor' measuring the output of where your gun is pointed.

post-22584-0-93371700-1349628188_thumb.p

Sights don't DO anything .... It's the shooter who is supposed to be doing something ... When we stop focusing on our equipment and start focusing on technique we begin the process of learning to become better shooters ....

Sights provide feedback.

They are there at all times.

--------------------------

But, we are part of the sight system. Are we there when we need to be?

How can they aide us in executing the fundamentals:

The Fundamentals of shooting are:

- Locate the target (visually, or with the force).

- Aim or point the gun at the target.

- Hold the gun there until the gun fires and the bullet has left the barrel.

Sights provide feedback.

They are there at all times.

--------------------------

But, we are part of the sight system. Are we there when we need to be?

How can they aide us in executing the fundamentals:

The Fundamentals of shooting are:

- Locate the target (visually, or with the force).

- Aim or point the gun at the target.

- Hold the gun there until the gun fires and the bullet has left the barrel.

This is what I'm going to try and accomplish tomorrow. I don't care if it takes five minutes to shoot a stage.